The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I do mine in the gym. Although back in gcse's I also did them in the sports hall, the junior hall and the senior hall too. I also did an AS in the dance studio for some reason...
Assembly Hall.

:smile:
Reply 22
In school most people were in the main hall, but if it was an exam that everyone was doing [maths, english, science, DT] some were split between the boys & girls gyms as well. Though my GCSE Sociology exam was in a classroom hut, because there were only eight or nine of us doing it. :P:

At college they're in the sports hall, in the constantly freezing gym. :rolleyes:
Because my school has SATs, Yr 10 mocks, Yr 11 GCSEs, Yr 12 AS and Yr 13 A2 exams they take place pretty much everywhere:
- Main Hall.
- "Sixth form study room".
- Classrooms all over the place.
- Canteen (when things are really bad clash wise).

At high school (where we didn't have a sixth form), they just took place in:
- Main Hall.
- Gym.
- Drama room/studio.
- Classrooms.

=D
Reply 24
So far I've been to the local synagogue for French speaking @__@ (it's quieter there - for the recording I suppose...) sports hall for the generic exams and the art room for well, art... :]

The back of the sports hall just happens the to be the hang out for 'let's-hang-around' club, the invigilators does try to shoo them away, but sometimes if you sit on that side of the hall you can hear them quabbling in a mixture of incoherent slang and swear words - does bloody wonders for concentration. *sign*
Assembly Hall, good for english for inspiration etc. bad for english, too distracting for maths!
Gym, generally crap to be honest

do people think that they do better in one exam hall over another if they're in different exam halls? personally i do better in the assembly hall..
Reply 26
I am normally in the main hall, the biggest one out of the three halls there are, but once of I was in the sports hall, for a maths module.
Usually they only have the pupils who need 'special attention' in the sports hall, because there is less space. Only once have they had to use classrooms for an exam.
For most exams that everyone's doing like English, Maths, etc, we have about 2/3rds of the year in the main hall and the other 1/3rd in the gym, but for option sujects where there aren't as many people doing it all the candidates are generally in the hall. Sometimes though we're in random classrooms if there's an A-level exam/SATs on in the hall/gym.

I much prefer being in the hall, and I am most of the time. It makes it seem more serious than in a classroom and gets me into 'exam mode' if you get what I mean, and it's also warmer than the gym, with less people walking past talking.
We do ours in the sports hall too. No idea why, we've got two other halls that I don't think are being used. We did our language listenings in classrooms with the whole corridor blocked off.
Reply 29
secretmessages
In the main hall (can seat about 200 candidates), or on the stage (about 30), or in the gym (about 100).

200?

We had 301 people in the hall for Lit (according to tome table), and their was still spare seats
Wilsonator
200?

We had 301 people in the hall for Lit (according to tome table), and their was still spare seats

The main hall at my school was like that. You were hard pushed to get 200 in but there was slightly less than that in each year group anyway so it didn't matter.
=D
School it was the sports hall. At uni it's Westminster Central Hall.
either in the gym, sometimes in the sports hall, the assembly hall and we have three small exam rooms upstairs - they are old classrooms that have been converted.

I did most of my GCSEs in the gym as there where lots of people doing them, but now at a level as there are only a few people we do them in the exam rooms. I once did this one further maths paper on my own in like a tiny little office with the invigilator - that was wierd. Just me and him sitting in a tiny office, me one side of the desk, him the other watching me for an hour an a half - really weird
for ours, most of us are in the main hall, but generally, people doing foundation are in the 6th form centre (im jealous- they have comfy chairs in there)
Reply 34
We do ours in the gym hall because it's the only hall we've got, and the library mainly :smile:
Sometimes (like today) we have exams in two or three random classrooms of the school as well, which is irritatin as kids always run past and the bell is stupidly loud :frown:
Reply 35
secretmessages
Ahaha what kind of a gym is that! Birds flying round?!

A rather **** one!
You get used to it in time i suppose. The birds are more quiet than the invigilators lol
Reply 36
Hall or Gym.

Gym is urrgly, The hall however is nice and cool, got ac. My school is classy, it is.
If it's an exam with the whole year, eg. English or Maths, they're in the sports hall which doesn't splash out on the luxury of heating.
Smaller exams are usually in the main school hall as it's smaller.

Then language listening exams where we need speakers and stuff are normally in the gym, where it's smaller and not echoey.
Reply 38
In our school we use the gym - 200 people, the community lounge -60 people, and the headteacher's office - up to 3 people (for exams like FSMQ and AS maths)
We use the gym- can fit the whole year in pretty perfectly (about 250 people)- you wouldn't want any more in there! We have a sports hall the same size though. And 3 dining halls haha wow my school sounds big!

Latest