The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you sure you hasd the right copy for the exam? We had to buy our OMAMs last summer holidays and we were given the ISBN number, we had to have a specific copy.. My sister's copy from her GCSE's a few years ago had notes in the front, but she did a different exam board, so she wasn't allowed a copy of it.
Reply 21
yep, deffo allowed....

AQA i was with..
theno1
if the examiners had such good knowledge of all the books, then they wouldnt be marking english essays, would they..

riiighhht?!?!? :confused:
So who do you suggest marks them??
oh hang on, someone who has a good knowledge of the books ... maybe :rolleyes: ..... oh no as you say, they have better things to do :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
hazzypants
Are you sure you hasd the right copy for the exam? We had to buy our OMAMs last summer holidays and we were given the ISBN number, we had to have a specific copy.. My sister's copy from her GCSE's a few years ago had notes in the front, but she did a different exam board, so she wasn't allowed a copy of it.

That is annyoing how they have different procedures
I think no one should have the set text at GCSE, more of a waste of your time going through if you ask me ...

When is the Lit exam?
Reply 24
Lord Hysteria
OMAM - oh please ... the themes, characters, settings & social/historical significance are all easy - I can write it out all now!

MacBeth is "highly complex" ... OMAM is baby food.

Anyway, having a list of characteristics may be all good - but so is a calculator in a maths exam - if you don't know the significance of certain things and how it fits with themes etc ... etc ... your ****ed!

In the exam, the only reason you should open the book is for quotes - even then I got to be very familiar with them - you haven't got to read paragraphs!

And questions are never so simple as to "tell us what Lennie is like" ...

your right.

OMAM is hardly a deep book. its at GCSE level for crying out loud.
Reply 25
John Steinbeck is one of the greatest storytellers of the twentieth century. Steinbeck's characters are not the rich men and women of California's boom days, but are the homeless, the migrant workers. they portray the struggle of life in America during the 1930's. yes i agree, its a simple, easy-to-read plot, but the nature of it is written in such a depth way it isnt a book you can call 'not-complex'. if you beieve this, you obviousley havent understood what you are reading. Macbeth, has a more complex plot, but its themes and characters don't live up to the standard of which steinbeck delivers them.
Lord Hysteria
That is annyoing how they have different procedures
I think no one should have the set text at GCSE, more of a waste of your time going through if you ask me ...

When is the Lit exam?

It;s AQA and it was 2 weeks ago. they keep chanign the rules. Like a few years ago you were never allowed the book for AQA either according to my teacher.

We've got english lanagueg at 9am tomorrow! I better go get some shuteye....
theno1
John Steinbeck is one of the greatest storytellers of the twentieth century. Steinbeck's characters are not the rich men and women of California's boom days, but are the homeless, the migrant workers. they portray the struggle of life in America during the 1930's. yes i agree, its a simple, easy-to-read plot, but the nature of it is written in such a depth way it isnt a book you can call 'not-complex'. if you beieve this, you obviousley havent understood what you are reading. Macbeth, has a more complex plot, but its themes and characters don't live up to the standard of which steinbeck delivers them.

oh yeah .... Shakespeare is nothing compared to Steinbeck :rolleyes:

Anyway, this isn't about Steinbeck - this is about the novel ... so I am going to end with the note that although the themes are significant to humanity, etc ... the novel itself is hardly deep even if it hits a superb moral mark.

This is, nonetheless, about an exam paper ... so back on track
hazzypants
It;s AQA and it was 2 weeks ago. they keep chanign the rules. Like a few years ago you were never allowed the book for AQA either according to my teacher.

We've got english lanagueg at 9am tomorrow! I better go get some shuteye....

I know, they have a policy to **** up change the system ever 45 mins.
Reply 29
indeed..but you veered off on the complexity's of the book... and the Q was about steinbeck, as you had to write why the characters were important, so u had to relate them to the need of some realistic writing back then.
theno1
indeed..but you veered off on the complexity's of the book... and the Q was about steinbeck, as you had to write why the characters were important, so u had to relate them to the need of some realistic writing back then.

This is about the exam policy "cheating" remember, not your beloved Steinbeck? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Latest