The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

1: fine, but I only wrote half a page. My writing is miniscule.
2: brilliant - there was so much to comment on!
2: fine. i wrote it in a very article-y style rather than just systematically going through and following instructions. i hope i included everything...
Reply 21
Does anyone know what the coursework %'s are for English Language and English Literature. AQA is 25% for Lit and 40% for Lang - is it the same for OCR?
Reply 22
B747captain
Did anyone actually use the word: Naive or did they change it

you shouldn't really lift words like that...

feelsobohemianlikeyou
you know for the first one, the summary, i got it in about 1 side. is that too short?
i think i covered all there was to be said?

perfect!:smile:

mikoe
Does anyone know what the coursework %'s are for English Language and English Literature. AQA is 25% for Lit and 40% for Lang - is it the same for OCR?

language = 20% speaking and listening; 25% c/w
lit: 20% c/w

i hated question 2 (but i think i had an alright stab at it):mad:
B747captain
Did anyone actually use the word: Naive or did they change it

Band 1 (A*) mark scheme says :
"complete clarity, almost entirely in the candidate's own words."

So dropping in 'naïve' won't cause to many problems as long as the rest is mainly your words.
hughey
language = 20% speaking and listening; 25% c/w
lit: 20% c/w

Isn't coursework only 20% for language? Then like you said 20% speaking and then 30% for unit 1 exam (today's) and 30% for unit 2 exam (thursday's).... hmmm

Oh and isn't literature coursework 30%? Wait... are you talking about OCR?! lol
Reply 25
1. Went really well.
2. Went even better - so much to write about - great speech too.
3. Was ok.
Reply 26
i did Q3 as though i was writing to 5 year olds... i mean what kind of teenager cares about your "best teacher"..
what the hell is a best teacher anyway - stupid question
just 2 days till no more english FOREVER

still.. i want that *
Reply 27
i wrote unworldly rather than naive!
also, for question 3 i didn't explain or describe my teacher, i just wrote about how a true teacher is an inspirer not an instructor and that he possesses this quality. no way was i going to sit in an english exam and write 'he has blonde hair, brown eyes and is very tall...' but this probably means i've done it wrong! oh welllllll....!
Reply 28
Shorty1992
Isn't coursework only 20% for language? Then like you said 20% speaking and then 30% for unit 1 exam (today's) and 30% for unit 2 exam (thursday's).... hmmm

Oh and isn't literature coursework 30%? Wait... are you talking about OCR?! lol

yes sorry - my mistake...
Reply 29
Yeah looking back I think I said naive, but as it was just one word in my own sentence I think it should be okay... quessie 1) I thought was sooo nice compared to summaries I've done in the past. Seemed simpler than usual 2) Tooooo much writing, it took me so long to actually take in what he was talking about, but it was a quite interesting article at the same time and there was lots to say so it wasn't bad, don't think i included enough detail though and 3) was like fine, it brought back some nice memories of my fave teacher :smile: but pretty silly for a gcse paper imo, not very challenging if you know what I mean, but hey, I'm not complaining! Wish eng lit was as easy haha, my eng lit was absolutely DIRE!
Reply 30
^ Can someone clarify this % then? I'm confused now :s-smilie:

I wrote about an imaginary ski instructor for question 3 lol
Reply 31
For Q3 I wrote about my Dad..I started it off with a kind of memoir of him teaching me to ride my bike when I was little, me wanting to give up and him teaching me about perseverence. I then mentioned a bit about his personality and some of the other things that he's taught me but then concluded it by saying that the thing that's always stuck with me is the perseverence speech. Haha.

If I got an A* in my speaking + listening thing, and about 72/90 on today's exam, can I still get an A*?

:|
Definitely
I thought Q1 was okay. I was glad i was told what a summary was, thank the lord for my school =)
Q2 was tricky, but I wrote 2 sides as I ran out of time.
Q3, wrote about me dance teacher =)) A description of her & what she's taught me, and how shes taught me as a person, if that makes sense.

But I was glad my school set up this Achieve an A* day for top band at my school. I helped me loads, so I didn't find the exam too hard =)
But saying that I'll probably fail.
Reply 34
haha i used "open minded" for naive.. not really sure why..
i found question 1 so hard! there seemed to be very little to write about and i had no idea how long it should be so i did almost 2 sides.. hmm
number 2 had loads of stuff to comment on but i needed more time!
number 3... oh my god mine was so unbelievably cheesy.. i wrote about my parents and how they helped me to develop simple skills...
oh it went so **** and I so badly want an A*!
rosalowis
haha i used "open minded" for naive.. not really sure why..
i found question 1 so hard! there seemed to be very little to write about and i had no idea how long it should be so i did almost 2 sides.. hmm
number 2 had loads of stuff to comment on but i needed more time!
number 3... oh my god mine was so unbelievably cheesy.. i wrote about my parents and how they helped me to develop simple skills...
oh it went so **** and I so badly want an A*!

2 & 3 sounds fine.
But question1 was a summary, so actually needs to only be between 100-150 words. As my teacher says.
But if you most of it done in first page, should be okay =)
Reply 36
pretty much what everyone's said here!
(except my favourite was question 2 because i thought there was loads to say!)

and yes...i wrote about my fabulous RS teacher for no. 3...and yes it was a piece of utter cheese
:biggrin:
Reply 37
Does it matter if you lie?
Reply 38
^ Yes, you will get zero marks :wink:

only joking, of course it doesn't.

Latest