The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

majr
hmmm...this is quite usefull and are very similar to my notes...the thing i am really stuck on is the social groups...lyk what do you talk about? about ethnicity? gender? age? social position?
The relationship between religious beliefs, religious organisations and different social groups is complex and diverse. Different groups have different needs and priorities.

To what extent do sociological arguments and evidence support this view? (40 marks)

thank youu

Ah yeah I have seen that exam question, it is slightly confusing but I'll do my best to help.

You are right, you talk about ethnicity, gender, age and social position, and you would include them in this essay, at least I think!

There is a huge amount of content to go in that question, so let's start with ethnicity.

We've got two analogies of how ethnic groups function in society, and are society is referred to as a 'Salad Bowl': where ethnic minorites integrate into society but keep their own identity and values.

The other analogy refers to America, and is the 'Melting Pot': the process of assimilation takes place, where you must take on the dominant values of the social group in charge, you must become American and accept it as your new identity.

Asian social groups support the above notion of the 'Salad Bowl', and religion is seen as a duty and a routine. They must follow in their family's footsteps and must conform to the standard expected from them. Muslims originally came to Britain to fulfil jobs in manufacturing and bringing families over in order to fulfil their own identity. Religion allowed them to be more self-confident, helping them create a network which created community solidarity.

After this somewhat 'list-like' description, you can how A02 it with recent events in Britain, appearing to deviate from the 'Salad Bowl' claim, such as the July 7th Bombings.

You could also talk about African-Caribbeans, and differ from how Asians perceive religion as they place emphasis on the joyful and individualistic notions religiosity offers them.

A02 this with Grace Davie's 'believing without belonging' and her idea of vicarious religion. For African-Caribbeans, participating in religious ceremonies is a freedom of choice, and if this particular ethnic group know a minority are expressing their religiosity, they feel content as they feel a privatised, small group worships their religion (badly worded, I apologise.)

Modood explains that for Muslims their ethnic identity is very interwoven with their religious identity.

John Bird (1999) identifies important reasons why there is a higher level of religiosity amongst ethnic groups.
1) Many ethnic groups originate in societies with high levels of religiosity.
2) In an environment where people belong in a minority, religion acts as 'community solidarity'.
3) This solidarity which is based on religious affiliation performs important social functions for new migrants, giving them a point of contact with a new country.

Steve Bruce, however, argues that these are mainly due to social reasons, and not the individual. This happens in either one of two ways, either cultural defence, where an ethnic group protects its own identity, or cultural transition, where ethnic groups use religion to cope with the upheaval of migration.

George Chryssdes (always have trouble remembering, let alone spelling) offers a more intricate view. He states religions of immigrant groups have three main paths that they can choose.
Apostasy - Where a particular set of beliefs are abaondoned in a hostile environment.
Accommodation - Where religious practices are adapted to take account of the changed situation.
Renewed Vigour - Where ethnic minorites reassert their religion more strongly as a response to either an actual or perceived hostility.

I think this is the main chunk of ethnic groups, but I'm sketchy myself and must do some extra reading and notes, I hope it helped you, and as soon as possible, I'll do age and gender.
Reply 201
thank youuu - hopefully i will b on the right track now :biggrin:
Reply 202
and oh yeah i think i will need some info abou social class as well :colondollar:
i am sorry, troubling u but cant help it im literally stuck n i no for definit that this question will come up this year :frown::frown:
Reply 203
i sorted out my notes today, and i have all 4 parts of the question - hopefully i will be fine now - i am going to write an essay and give it to my teaacher so she can mark it and then i can see where i have gone wrong - there is a lot to write dont know how i will manage it in the exam - hopefully secularisation or social change is going to come up - i am confident with these two - lets seee - oh yeh i just wanted to ask you a question - ive searched on many websites and whereeve i go it says something aboue 'believing without belonging' what does it mean - i hear its a famous quote from grace davie - i think its important - do you have any idea about this quote?
Grace Davie - 'Believing without Belonging.'

Davie refers that the concept of religion is hard to define, as in contemporary society, religion has become much more privatised and personalised. Many individuals do not feel the need to attend religious practices if they genuinely believe in the faith they belong to. On this alone it is evidence against the secularisation debate, and religious practices are merely changing, not decreasing.
Link this with her idea of 'vicarious religion', where individuals feel content when a small, private minority demonstrate their religion.

Latest

Trending

Trending