The Student Room Group

Drinking alcohol before exams

Scroll to see replies

I would highly recommend that nobody drinks before an exam or takes any other substances.... :wtf: It's just going to make your head fuzzy and you probably won't do as well as you could have done. :yy:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I would highly recommend that nobody drinks before an exam or takes any other substances.... :wtf: It's just going to make your head fuzzy and you probably won't do as well as you could have done. :yy:

If you do, only one glass, okay?

:ninja:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
If you do, only one glass, okay?

:ninja:

No bubbles before exams, Bubbles! :fuhrer: :tongue:
No bubbles before exams, Bubbles! :fuhrer: :tongue:

Just this then?

:sogood:

And the puddles one, of course :h:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Just this then?

:sogood:

And the puddles one, of course :h:

Maybe that's okay :beard: But remember to look after your health too :woo:
Reply 25
Original post by Vanilla Poison
What a bump 👏
You'd have to be quite desperate to even consider doing stupid stuff like this. But I've never had alcohol before and I never intend to, so I don't know what effects it has.

Then why do you never intend to have alcohol?

Just for reference, it generally enhances your current mood (satisfied to happy; glum to miserable; mift to angry), makes you feel physically relaxed and can make you feel more talkative, sociable and more jovial. It can also taste very nice - there are hundreds of different alcoholic beverages out there to suit any taste, each with a slightly different effect on you. However, when consumed in excess, alcohol makes you feel like you cannot think clearly, and also rather dizzy and nauseous.

If you decide not to drink, don't let it be because of how you have seen other people act when they drink alcohol. Everyone is different, and everyone will behave differently when exposed to alcohol e.g some can be happy social drinkers who drink in moderation, others will become violent, miserable, or drink to excess. Unless it is for religious or medical reasons that you don't drink, I would recommend that you at least try alcohol once with some friends or family before you make this judgement.
Maybe that's okay :beard: But remember to look after your health too :woo:

Like this? :h:

I kid - one morning before a 2 and a half hour exam, I had beans on toast with cheese and then randomly had some chicken too. I got an A on that exam :u:
Reply 27
Lol is this thread for real?
Reply 28
I probably wouldn't be willing to try this but I reckon one glass may potentially help a bit...I've had exams where I'm so tired from being unable to sleep that I lose a bit of the nervous energy and actually do very well, although I've also had exams where I'm very tired and so I suck. I feel like alcohol would be similarly unpredictable; it may relax you a bit or it may just make you think less clearly.
I went out the night before one of my second year exams at uni.

Word of advice - don't do it.
I find a shot of brandy helps to calm the nerves, and is hardly enough alcohol to make you pissed and seriously impair your thinking and memory.

However I find that a cigarette is better before an exam.

edit: Leave the drinking until after the exam to celebrate finishing it and enjoy yourself.
(edited 8 years ago)
I conducted this experiment in my college exams this time.
I drank AND smoked.
While SMOKING IMPAIRS one's judgement - LETHAL in exams -DRINKING (say 100ml Vodka, not too much) is GOOD for calming the nerves and doing best of what we know about the subject. Drinking does NOT improve memory power, etc, just soothes us temporarily.
If you mix it in lemon juice then its fine
Reply 33
Bonkers
Original post by Zarek
Bonkers

Everytime someone says that I always think of Dizzee Rascal

Quick Reply

Latest