lauuuura
ich war hungrig

Wouldn't that be "ich bin hungrig gewesen" in the perfect tense? :confused:
Rob 07
sie lief weg

That's the imperfect.
Reply 22
lauuuura
the pluperfect has a different meaning to the perfect.

i ate my lunch - perfect

i had eaten my lunch - pluperfect

lauuuura, you're absolutely right, but you may substitute the pluperfect tense for the perfect tense to indicate a remote past without the English meaning of 'had done something'. And it's actually quite common in Germany itself to use the pluperfect instead of the perfect tense in everyday speech.
Reply 23
Krazof
Wouldn't that be "ich bin hungrig gewesen" in the perfect tense? :confused:

im getting really confused now! that would technically mean i have been hungry, which is technically the perfect tense, but in both german and english we wouls use the imperfect in place of the perfect, as it just works like that. so maybe you cant actually use 'war' in a perfect sentence, it just gets used in that way...i dont know! i think we need someone on here who actually knows what they're talking about, as i seem to be getting it all wrong!

rystan20
lauuuura, you're absolutely right, but you may substitute the pluperfect tense for the perfect tense to indicate a remote past without the English meaning of 'had done something'. And it's actually quite common in Germany itself to use the pluperfect instead of the perfect tense in everyday speech.

oh right, ok. i know we often have things in german which are in the pluperfect, and people in my clas get really confused about when to use that and when to use the perfect - i never really think about it, i just use what feels right and i normally get it right!
i'll bear that in mind!
right, i think im going to leave this thread now, or i'll end up confusing everyone and myself...plus german literature won't learn itself!!
Reply 24
Awwww. Thanks guys. You HAVE actually been really helpful. I think what i was looking for was "Sie ist weggelaufen". I will review later to see who deserves an award....But in the mean time id greatly appreciate someone to tell me what part of sein or haben id use for "it", "she", "they", etc....Danke Schon!
0129Hippy
Awwww. Thanks guys. You HAVE actually been really helpful. I think what i was looking for was "Sie ist weggelaufen". I will review later to see who deserves an award....But in the mean time id greatly appreciate someone to tell me what part of sein or haben id use for "it", "she", "they", etc....Danke Schon!

What do you mean, what part? Do you mean how you would conjugate it?
Reply 26
yep.
Reply 27
he, she, it

SEIN
er ist
sie ist
es ist

HABEN
er hat
sie hat
es hat

if thats what you mean ??

p.s. thanks to the mystery repper - i thought i had confused everybody!
sein
ich bin
du bist
er/sie/es ist
ihr seid
wir sind
sie/Sie sind

haben
ich habe
du hast
er/sie/es hat
ihr habt
wir haben
sie/Sie haben

www.canoo.net is good for looking up this kind of thing.

Latest