The Student Room Group

AQA German GR5W

Basically I lived in Germany when I was little and can still speak German. I have this "GR5W" Exam next week. I am only sitting the exams, not attending any lessons as my college doesn't do A-Level German.

So yeah I've had look at a few past papers, but they're not making any sense to me? Are we given any extracts/news paper articles? Or are we meant to know the answers and all the facts, etc..

If someone could help me and explain? Would be really helpful!
Reply 1
T89
OP
Please anyone? It's on Wednesday already and I'm getting worried about this exam as I really need an A.

Hasn't anyone ever done this before/doing it on Wednesday (Unit 5)?
Reply 2
T89
OP
.?
Reply 3
T89
Or are we meant to know the answers and all the facts, etc..?

In a nutshell, yes. You're expected to have studied the topics throughout the year in order to do your final essays. Your best bet now, if you haven't done anything for it, is to do the discursive essays instead of the literature ones - presuming you know nothing about the books set.
Reply 4
T89
OP
Simon-J
In a nutshell, yes. You're expected to have studied the topics throughout the year in order to do your final essays. Your best bet now, if you haven't done anything for it, is to do the discursive essays instead of the literature ones - presuming you know nothing about the books set.

Oh ok! One question is worth 30 marks, how many pages/words are the minimum to get a high grade (roughly)? Thanks
Reply 5
How long is a piece of string? :wink: As long as you've answered the question and used a range of examples to back you up, then it'll be fine. You get about 50 mins per question (if you exclude time you'll take to plan) so you won't be able to write massive amounts anyway. Don't really think there is a definitive answer though, sorry! I'd say at least two sides though!
Viel Glück!
Reply 6
T89
OP
Cheers thanks for your help! One last question - are they looking for language or knowledge (the right facts and figures)?
Reply 7
Both - to different extents. Each essay is out of 30 marks. Broken down:
5- grammar
5- reaction and response
20- knowledge of society (facts and figures), so you're gonna need to have some under your belt before the exam.

Hope this helps!
T89
Basically I lived in Germany when I was little and can still speak German. I have this "GR5W" Exam next week. I am only sitting the exams, not attending any lessons as my college doesn't do A-Level German.

So yeah I've had look at a few past papers, but they're not making any sense to me? Are we given any extracts/news paper articles? Or are we meant to know the answers and all the facts, etc..

If someone could help me and explain? Would be really helpful!

the three main this to remember are:

-opinion + justification
- detailed & appropriate evidence
-'depth'-so basically intelligent ideas

since you lieved in germany you will probably get at least 9/10 for quality of language and reaction & response (worth 5 each as the poster above has shown) that effectively means you need 10% less than normal for each grade in knowledge of society:

so if you get 90% (say-you'll probably get 100%) for the first 10 marks *language & response

and you need 24/30 for an A overall

you need 14/20 on knowledge of society (bc you already have 10 marks)- 70%

I might add to that if youre any good at german you will have got enough marks in the other papers to be able to afford to get a C or even an E on this paper- Im quite good at german because I did a 6 week language course there last summer- and I got 92% on oral + comp paper with no revision, then got an E on the lit paper (in my mock this is)- and got an A overall.

im afraid I cant help you on content- unless youre doing berlin 45-80 history or die weisse rose
the technique is just write a sound essay with exaggerated personal opinion and like any good essay, give specific and relevant examples (facts & figures or quotes/specific moments in a text)
Reply 9
T89
OP
Thank you so much you both! Has really helped! Good luck with you exams!
T89
Thank you so much you both! Has really helped! Good luck with you exams!

T89- how did it go?
Reply 11
T89
OP
I found it alright, just hope I wrote what they were looking for. How did you find it?
T89
I found it alright, just hope I wrote what they were looking for. How did you find it?

I did a book called die weisse rose- and the question asked, what people in nazi germany suffer from, which fitted in exactly with the quotes id devided into 'unfreiheit' 'angst/kummer' and 'unsicherheit' so that couldnt have been better

Berlin- I was so lucky- I got- soziale schwierigkeiten Kriegsende45-61Mauerbau- just explained the main socio-eco-political problems as Id revised them

Im guessing you already did all 5 other units? in that case, as someone who is in any degree a native speaker you will have got an average of (90% on all other modules in which case as long as you got 40%/E on this paper you got an A overall.

Latest

Trending

Trending