The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 - Implications 16/06/2008

Anyone else got this?

As I mentioned in another post Sarah K Tyler the chief examiner hinted that is was pretty much definitely going to be Ayer. I'm taking that as fact cause I can't stand the other two.

Talk about your worries etc here. I hate Ayer, but he's the only person that doesn't repeat himself so you can say something different about every paragraph while still maintaining the same theme of Religious Language.

I get angry at him to, which is another great writing motivation. If talking about God is pointless because we can't empirically test him, then we can't talk about Love, or other human emotions we can't prove - making him a very lonely man.

Thoughts?
Reply 1
Hang on a sec... the topic of the article by Ayer is... I don't have anything written by Ayer in my articles!!!

Or are you talking about the implications paper for philosophy specifically - because I'm doing the paper on ethics...
Reply 2
Damnit.

That's a good point. Yeah it's Philosophy. My Ethics teacher looked at the ethics ones and said they were all rubbish and just gave it to my Philosophy teacher.

Sorry! What are the ethics ones about?
Reply 3
One is on 'modern moral philosophy' by JB Schneewind, another on 'method and moral theory' by D Jaimeson, and another on the conflict between morality and personal relationships by Hugh Lafallette...

I'm hoping its on the personal relationships article because its by far the most interesting and easy to get a good debate going!!
Reply 4
We haven't even looked at the first one you mentioned. I think they said at a conference they were definitely not going to use that one.
Reply 5
Xhysa
Anyone else got this?

As I mentioned in another post Sarah K Tyler the chief examiner hinted that is was pretty much definitely going to be Ayer. I'm taking that as fact cause I can't stand the other two.

Talk about your worries etc here. I hate Ayer, but he's the only person that doesn't repeat himself so you can say something different about every paragraph while still maintaining the same theme of Religious Language.

I get angry at him to, which is another great writing motivation. If talking about God is pointless because we can't empirically test him, then we can't talk about Love, or other human emotions we can't prove - making him a very lonely man.

Thoughts?

Just to liven this thread up a bit:

You can detect changes in the body when hungry (glucagon released etc.) and you can detect changes when in love (chemicals in the blood). This can be done using the scientific method, and thus you can empirically test them. Love is an emotion and doesn't necessarily "exist", it is more of attributing language to a feeling rather than a question of existence. Emotions are subjective in any case, while the existence of God would have to be an objective consideration.
Reply 6
Ah cool.

We've got one on Religious Language by Ayer, some pro God one from Donovan which I've completely forgotten about. There's also a third but our teacher never gave it to us :P
Reply 7
^umm why?!
Reply 8
Oh god I hope it is Ayer, his is the shortest article and by far the easiest to understand. Westphal = ????
I agree; Westphal = ????

I think Ayer is the easiest to write about.

Just out of interest, how are people linking other topics in?

Are you just writing "This links to....." or just writing "The philosoper *** would agree/disagree with this because...." ?

Also, it says something in the mark scheme about wider human experience.... ?????
Reply 10
Not another thread.. use the original http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=540067
Reply 11
we r doing our synoptic on ethics, havnt relle spent that much time on it...seeing as theres no past exams to look at or examples of wot to write im finding it pretty hard!
however my ethics teacher told us that as this is the first time edexcel is using this synoptic paper, it is likely that it is going to be marked quite generously..as obviously they will want to show that this new paper is a success. not sure if its true yet tho???
Xhysa
Damnit.

That's a good point. Yeah it's Philosophy. My Ethics teacher looked at the ethics ones and said they were all rubbish and just gave it to my Philosophy teacher.

Sorry! What are the ethics ones about?

Hey how did you guys revise for implications? Did you all have notes on it since my teacher is not that great and has not helped us much. I am really struggling iwth it.

Latest

Trending

Trending