The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah, seems like everyone on here is ocr to me. :/ They don't know what they're missing!

I've really enjoyed the course but I'm not sure I'm the best philosopher in the world. I'm going to be cramming like mad between now and next week for sures.

I'm mind and mill. Mill I'm not amazingly worried about because my synoptic was on Mill (and Nietzsche... oh god, never again... never again!) but mind is a bit scary.

I definately need to look at some past papers for both though. I'll let you know if I find any particularly juicy ones, ha ha.
I'm doing Political philosophy and Hume. Not at all ready for politics.
i'm doing philosophy of mind, a2, exam next week. feel sort of underprepared, anyone know any good revision sites?
rainbow_fountains
i'm doing philosophy of mind, a2, exam next week. feel sort of underprepared, anyone know any good revision sites?

Overview:
http://www.philosophyonline.co.uk/pom/pom_introduction.htm

In Depth:
http://plato.stanford.edu/ (just search what you need)

Really clear, but not too detailed:
http://www.philosophyofmind.info/index.html

Those three and your notes should be a guaranteed A. I say that now, but unless I actually read the crap I need, I'm going nowhere.
Reply 5
Im doing Hume and Philosophy of Mind. Hume is sooooooo long!
Reply 6
Nietzsche and philosophy of mind. I am doomed!
Reply 7
Emmaleuk
Nietzsche and philosophy of mind. I am doomed!

Exactly the same - except philosophy isn't part of my Ox offer, unlike you I assume. :p:
Reply 8
Why is philosophy not part of your offer? It's hard!
I just noticed that they haven't really asked a question about Biological Naturalism in the last 4 years...anyone think they'll be bastards and ask it this year?
Reply 10
Eleanor08
Why is philosophy not part of your offer? It's hard!

Yeah, but I'm doing four A2 and Biology, Chemistry and Maths are more relevant to medicine.

Take that, philosophy do-er!

masterofdalliance
I just noticed that they haven't really asked a question about Biological Naturalism in the last 4 years...anyone think they'll be bastards and ask it this year?

It's more likely to be a thematic topic, is it not? That way we can show off more. :p:

[edit]

Oh - did you mean for the (a) part?

[edit 2]

I hope not, because biological naturalism just doesn't make sense. Stupid Searle - come up with a better theory and stop banging on about the Chinese Room!

I'm pooping myself a bit about Nietzsche...
Reply 11
i don't understand any of this philosophy rubbish...Biological Naturalism is evil...all I remember from my lessons on that is some rubbish about emergent properties and my teacher putting a load of dots on a page until it eventually made a face

Hellllp!
Reply 12
Tyraell
Exactly the same - except philosophy isn't part of my Ox offer, unlike you I assume. :p:

I do four too...but i'm clinging onto As with all of them so Philosophy really needs to go well!
Emmaleuk
i don't understand any of this philosophy rubbish...Biological Naturalism is evil...all I remember from my lessons on that is some rubbish about emergent properties and my teacher putting a load of dots on a page until it eventually made a face

Hellllp!

All I know is something about systemic properties, and how water is liquid, but nothing in water is liquid, so liquid is a systemic property of water, like our minds are systemic properties of our brains, which means that they're physical, but they're not because they're mental, but then mental states are nothing but physical states, and on and on and on until I start chewing my ****ing eyeball.
Reply 14
What does everyone expect to come up? I did an AS resit a few weeks ago and the question was worded really horribly...so i'm expecting the worst!
Emmaleuk
What does everyone expect to come up? I did an AS resit a few weeks ago and the question was worded really horribly...so i'm expecting the worst!

Theory of knowledge by any chance?

After that exams i see no reason to look at past papers, because AQA are bastards
Reply 16
I am actually crapping myself.

I perhaps wouldn't be, if my teacher was:
a) not in the habit of turning up to lessons drunk
b) inclined to teach anything at all.

Did you guys learn theories and hardcore examples in your lessons? For example, Biological Naturalism, Searle's Chinese Room, Wittgenstein's rejection of a private language?
Reply 17
panicking. exam is tomorrow. aqa philosophy clashes with my spanish so have distributed them throughout the whole day. they wouldnt let me out of the room for the whole day!!!

ANYONE HAVE PREDICTIONS FOR POLITICAL PHILOSOPHY?
Reply 18
What do you guys think Nietzsche will be on?

Critique of N is so damn hard..About the only thing you can do is use his own ad hominem and psychological method on him...and analyse his genealogical method, I guess.
Reply 19
The_Goose
Theory of knowledge by any chance?

After that exams i see no reason to look at past papers, because AQA are bastards

Yes Theory of Knowledge...I actually burst out laughing when I read the paper...because I just didn't even understand what it meant!

I hate AQA....thats three out of four of my subjects ;-)! Swines.

As for Nietzsche...who knows...I don't understand a word he says either. Ahhh stressed

Latest