The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
ljc1
I'm planning on taking maths, further maths, law and french next year at sixth form.

Hoping to get in one of the top few unis (thinking LSE, oxford or cambridge) :s-smilie:

What do people think of my subject choices? Are law and french viewed as 'soft'? :s-smilie:

sorry to be a pain but i have heard that if you want to do law at university they often prefer it if you havn't done it alevel!!!!!
Reply 121
yeesh23

Oh, ok! Erm, I'm a little worried, I think I want to study Economics/Politics/Law at University so I thought Politics was a good idea. How does this AS + A Level combination sound (for a top University application?):

History, Economics, Maths, Politics, Critical Thinking?

That's more than fine. History, economics and maths? Even if politics was a "soft" subject - which it isn't - it wouldn't matter if it's a fourth A-level or your AS.

So that combination but it's not really not needed to take an A-level in a subject in order to pursue it at A-level. Certainly not in some arts or social sciences (eg. politics, law, philosophy, psychology...) They'll be taught at beginner's level.
Reply 122
what do people think of taking english lit english language geography and ict next year?
Reply 123
Meelz
what do people think of taking english lit english language geography and ict next year?

Any idea about uni course, uni choice or which one of those you'll drop after AS (if any)
Reply 124
Meelz

It depends where you want to go. English Lit is a really good choice along with Geography. English Language is seen as not as good as English Lit but still good, but I don't know fully as September 08 is the first time my school will have English Lang as an A Level. ICT is seen as 'soft' by some universities but it should be fine with the other choices. Of course, it also depends on what you want to do, but the choices sound good.
Reply 125
im not entirely sure about uni yet but law is a possibility!!
Reply 126
River85
Any idea about uni course, uni choice or which one of those you'll drop after AS (if any)

hopefully i don't want to drop any but it depends on my results i may also take critical thinking as an extra AS but not sure and we have to do general studies which not all uni's accept but i don't mind too much!!
Reply 127
Meelz
im not entirely sure about uni yet but law is a possibility!!

ICT,as a main subject, would be a no no for law - for most of the decent to good schools anyway. Definately for the top ones. As an AS then for most it would be OK but I advise caution.

English Lit is great. Geography fine. English lang is seen as not as strong and theoretical as literature so it will be seen as "less preferred" by some unis for law (Manchester specifically). That's still not a bad selection, it just depends on your grades and exactly where you want to go.

So if I had to critically look at the choices I'd ask you if there's another solid art or a science that you could take in place of Language? If not, it's OK. ICT I've already said, fine for most uni if it's an AS.

Ultimately just go with what you are interested in and think you've got a good chance of getting As in.

After all, you could take English lit, maths, chemistry and history at A-level and only get CCCD. You'd be in a wose position than if you did those subjects (with ICT at AS) and got AAAb, or even ABBb.
Reply 128
River85
ICT,as a main subject, would be a no no for law - for most of the decent to good schools anyway. Definately for the top ones. As an AS then for most it would be OK but I advise caution.

English Lit is great. Geography fine. English lang is seen as not as strong and theoretical as literature so it will be seen as "less preferred" by some unis for law (Manchester specifically). That's still not a bad selection, it just depends on your grades and exactly where you want to go.

So if I had to critically look at the choices I'd ask you if there's another solid art or a science that you could take in place of Language? If not, it's OK. ICT I've already said, fine for most uni if it's an AS.

Ultimately just go with what you are interested in and think you've got a good chance of getting As in.

After all, you could take English lit, maths, chemistry and history at A-level and only get CCCD. You'd be in a wose position than if you did those subjects (with ICT at AS) and got AAAb, or even ABBb.

science would defo be a no no and i think that if i take these subjects then a have a good chance of getting AAAA whereas if i do something else i feel i would get worse. I just hope my options won't hinder my choices in the future!!!
'm doing maths, economics, B.st and ICT at as level, hoping to continue with all 4 for A2 and should get 3A 1B and an A in general studies and B in Critical Thinking on top. I am hoping to apply for Warwick. Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham for eithor economics or accounting and finance with a possible gap year at Deloitte, PwC, KPMG or accenture.

what are my chances of getting good offers?
TimMurry12345
'm doing maths, economics, B.st and ICT at as level, hoping to continue with all 4 for A2 and should get 3A 1B and an A in general studies and B in Critical Thinking on top. I am hoping to apply for Warwick. Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham for eithor economics or accounting and finance with a possible gap year at Deloitte, PwC, KPMG or accenture.

what are my chances of getting good offers?

Time will tell. But seriously, you've not even started your A-Levels and you

Have planned a GAP year

Know what grades you should get - you have no idea what the subject will be like until you do it so can't predict your grades!

Know 4 of the 5 unis you want to apply to

On top of that, you're worried about getting good offers. Relax. Enjoy your summer and worry about it when the time comes.. :cool:

EDIT: To answer your question, Warwick is a good university and would not like the combination of Business and Economics, nor would they like IT which is a soft subject. They'd probably want straight As at A-Level too. Although, I'm not really qualified to answer as I've not tried to apply there or looked into unis at all. I don't know about the other three unis - sorry.
Reply 131
I have read this entire thread, but was just wondering do decent unis care if you took soft subjects at GCSE, but none or one at A level?

thanks.
Reply 132
Peteo
I have read this entire thread, but was just wondering do decent unis care if you took soft subjects at GCSE, but none or one at A level?

thanks.

I don't think they look at the specific subjects you took, they just want a good set of results and perhaps particular grades in the core subjects such as Maths and English. They might look at any subjects directly relevant to the course you're applying for. I don't know whether to believe this, but my headteacher said you should have an A* in the subject you want to take at university, at GCSE
Reply 133
The subjects I've taken are English Literature, Psychology, Philosophy and some maths thing, it's not a mathematics A level, though, in fact I think it's pretty useless.

Are these considered soft options? I know that I've failed in life to begin with as I haven't taken Maths or a proper Science. Will three (possibly four) essay subjects be quite a handful? Sorry for hijacking but I didn't think it would be appreciated if I created a new post. Also, I was contemplating Religious Education which is new at the college this year, is it worth taking this alongside Philosophy? The college doesn't have much to choose from, it only has the basics really.
Reply 134
English Lit definitely isn't and I don't think Philosophy is. Psychology is a bit in the middle I think; it has been recatogorised as a Science, but I think that's only effective from this September. I can't see it's going to make much difference to a univerisity's perception of it as a subject anyway.
Come September I'll definitely be taking Biology, Chemistry and English Lit+Lang (combined). Fourth subject will either be ICT or History. I know History would be better for getting into unis for, but I'm much better at ICT and it's also part of my free time too so I'd enjoy it. Is this a good combination for a course in some sort of biomedical science (possibily microbiology or immunology?) as I'd like to stay quite close to home and so Newcastle Uni is my nearest option. Any advice?

Latest