The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
basically functionalism, traditional you have
Durkheim and Merton as you said,
you then have functionalist subcultural theories:
A.Cohen (strain), Sutherland (differental associasation) etc as you said above
Reply 81
Religion you can also mention the Dublic Decree, the law that made suicide not exist kind of thing, because the person is the killer of themselves according to the decree passed (such a law wouldn't be passed in a country that is not so catholic)
Reply 82
ye new right is that along with the 0 tolerance policy, and harsher punishments.
James Q Wilson (broken windows) being your main study
Charles Murray (abolish welfare state)
then with the idea you said about rational choice you have
Freedman - control theory and rationale man - people are all potentially criminals if they think they can get away with it , strengthen controls( 0 tolerance, harsher penalties)
Hirschi - strengthen control (family)

thats what i remember from my new right revision
NEw left i am rubbish on so i wont attempt to bull**** it to you as i will probably give you wrong info
FHNFredrick
someone mentioned about functionalism...

i'm a bit worried now, because all i have on functionalism and c&d is that durkheim says it's healthy etc etc.

Would merton & strain theory come under Functionalism? Anything else?

I get confused with this topic and where everything comes under.

I know the subcultural ones quite well:
Cohen
Miller
Cloward & Ohlin

Can someone brief over taylor's realist approach on suicide since that's the one that i've neglected and such. Plus how exactly would you like suicide to religion? I know durkheim found that Protestants are more likely to commit suicide but yeah... having trouble with the links.

New right is basically everything to do with the self and rational choice & responsibility right? Don't like them much. Left Realism is to do with communities and victims?

::s-smilie:cared::

You can't really link suicide to religion but you can link the methodological debate to religion with the Wilson and Martin debate.
Reply 84
how does the wilson and martin debate link with crime and deviance?
emma_daton
how does the wilson and martin debate link with crime and deviance?

It links with suicide because its a similar methodological debate of quant v qual.
Oh my god! i haven't even looked at ethnicity yet!!!

Btw guys, in jan the paper was

Assess two ways in which crime and deviance can be related to: education, family, religion etc (8 marks)

The 12 mark was on Victim Surveys (The British Crime Survey)

and the 40 mark was on Interactionism and Labelling

Hope this helps

Oh, btw, i would look over SUICIDE well, as it's only came up once in june 04 i believe and so it's a strong contender for a 40 mark or a 12 mark. ALSO! Social Class has NEVER came up as a 12 mark i don't believe, so maybe it'd be best to give it a good look over. I'd best look over all the social groups in depth, age, locality, including the CHICAGO school, gender, social class and WHITE COLLAR CRIME as it can also come up as a 12 mark. They didn't come up in Jan so there's a high probability that one of them will this time round (:

Also! My teacher said that they might try to trick us and use Labelling and Interactionism AGAIN in this paper because they've been known to do that sometimes. It could come up as a 12 mark too. There's so much to look over and so little time left. I've yet to look over suicide, ethnicity, social class.

I hope crappy questions don't come up like social control or defining and measuring crime and deviance but it is a possibility i suppose.

I think The key contenders for a 40 mark are gonna be:
Ethnicity,
Social class,
Suicide,
Interactionism and labelling again.
Maybe Statistics?
I don't know why but Realism seems to be another one that i think may come up. has it came up in the past?? I hope we don't get this!!

Although i'm probably wrong, they'll probably go for something completely different. i hope to god the test is easy as i needa get full marks basically to get my A..:frown: Its gonna be tough going!

I hope my rant has helped in some way? lmao.
wow i would have loved to have had that Jan 08 paper it was well easy!! cheers for the heads up btw. my teacher reckons that ethnicity will never come up as a 40 mark but maybe a 12 mark. Also she said realism hasnt ever come up either! i pretty much need to get full marks too but..not going to happen :frown: x
Reply 88
Hey peeps

I got 82 - Education
82 - Family
63 - Research Methods
58 - Religion (retook it on thurs)
72 - Theory and Methods

What would i need in Crime and Deviance to get an A or even a B overall..?
Reply 89
Bad maths...!
Reply 90
sorry didnt understand that?
Reply 91
Bad maths again...!

You should get an A... lol.
i think you just add up all ur UMS points. To get an A you need 480 and for a B 420. so your prob on around 400 UMS points already (not taking into account ur resit) so ur just below a B atm i think! x
Reply 93
erm so i got 227 at AS

my religion 58 and theory and methods 72

isnt that 63 UMS i need in Crime and Deviance to get a B overall ?
Reply 94
Wow... my maths was completely wrong for some reason. I don't know what the hell I was going on about. I'm having a stupid day today.. sorry :frown:
227 at AS would mean you were on a B

For AS and A2 you need at least 480 to get an A overall

im confused...

but i think your on a B neway atm x
Reply 96
You've got 357... and you need 63 (like you said) for a B... oh. So you can get a really high B :smile:

I don't have a clue what was wrong with me earlier.. I was tired :p:
Reply 97
yeah i was about to say lool
Reply 98
gonna get good old harry out for a sesh this evening. Gonna miss that lump of a book :p:

my teacher thinks that age and ethnicity may come up?

but- suicide last came up in June 2004- 8 exams ago! And never in a summer exam.

"Some approaches to the study of suicide have looked at social cause while others have looked at the meanings suicide has for those involved." Explain and evaluate this statement

^ was one we should look at. Also, could link to methodology with that question.
Reply 99
So you think suicide might come up? or not?