The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

why does it really matter if your certificate doesn't say "A". surely any grade is better than nothing?
Reply 2
I don't think they could force you to do it.
But as the previous poster said getting there's nothing wrong with grades lower than a's and you never know you might surprise yourself by getting an a :smile:
What subject is it? As a matter of interest.
Reply 3
Psychology.

Personally, seeing as its an 'extra' subject which is not required as part of any uni offer, I'd rather not end up with a B or C on my certificate
Reply 4
Did you think it was hard?
Hm. Like I said before, I doubt they would force you to sit the exam.
Reply 5
hellohellohellohello
why does it really matter if your certificate doesn't say "A". surely any grade is better than nothing?

Also, don't know if i'd agree with that.

With no grade, your not showing that you're fallible.
Are you sure you don't want to take it.
I mean I've sat exams before and thought I was going to get a E or D max and then have come out with an A.
You might be all on track and not realise it.
The extra qualification is definately worth it...
Reply 7
no, from the work i did last night, it is definitely not a hard higher but it does require steady work over a long period and it's difficult to cram for.
Reply 8
mollymustard
Are you sure you don't want to take it.
I mean I've sat exams before and thought I was going to get a E or D max and then have come out with an A.
You might be all on track and not realise it.
The extra qualification is definately worth it...

a bit late now. the exam started 15 minutes ago!
layercake
a bit late now. the exam started 15 minutes ago!

Oh well :frown:
If you didn't need it, then I spose it doesnt really matter.
Reply 10
Layercake is somewhat correct on their logic with this matter. If a grade does not form part of your uni offer, and you have 3 other solid A-levels, it can be very advantageous not to have a 4th of lower value.

When I done my A-levels, I declined one of my grades for this exact reason. Its better to have the likes of AAA or BBB then to have AAAC or BBBD

Crazy, i know, but thats just how employers view it.

I'm not sure what the current situation is though as you can no longer decline grades.
layercake
I just asked my school to withdraw me from my exam this morning even though the exam's this afternoon.

I want an A and don't want to get a certificate that says anything but that and I don't feel I'm prepared to get an A.

Does anyone know what it says on your certificate?

I know it wouldn't say Fail or No Award because I javen't attempted all aspects of the assessment.

u could of decline it
Reply 12
Did the school allow you to withdraw from the exam?
I tried to withdraw from History two months before the exam and a month before they told me I hadn't been withdrawn and I would have to pay £50...
I haven't paid any money so it'll be a surprise to see what's on my certificate.

I think it'll probably say No Award.
oh you should have taken it! What exam board is it? Did you do and AS in it? If you got an A at AS and a C at A2 then you can decline the A2 award and just accept the AS. I have just taken AQA AS Psychology and hopefully will get a B, there is coursewok for unit 6 which I will get an A on and the 4 and 5 units are not too bad.

You should have just seen what you get.

I know General Studies isn't a respected A Level but I actually find it hard and I was about to withdraw from it. A little voice in my head told me to take the exam and I got 100/100 on that Unit an A Grade!
Reply 14
London271
oh you should have taken it! What exam board is it? Did you do and AS in it? If you got an A at AS and a C at A2 then you can decline the A2 award and just accept the AS. I have just taken AQA AS Psychology and hopefully will get a B, there is coursewok for unit 6 which I will get an A on and the 4 and 5 units are not too bad.

It's Highers, not A-Levels :]
Reply 15
laura-rad
Did the school allow you to withdraw from the exam?
I tried to withdraw from History two months before the exam and a month before they told me I hadn't been withdrawn and I would have to pay £50...
I haven't paid any money so it'll be a surprise to see what's on my certificate.

I think it'll probably say No Award.

Thats ****!

Well, the women said she'd withdraw me...hopefully she will!

It should be up to you if you want to withdraw anyway.

For scottish exams, you can't decline grades, everything you achieve stays on your certificate. You can only improve it by resitting
Reply 16
Let me know how it works out, otherwise my school is just being rather lame.

What is declining a grade? Do you just choose not to accept it or something?
sorry OP, but i think a university or employer will know you are fallible in academic terms.
unless you're one of those 8 year olds who can get a maths degree at that age, chances are you've struggled at points in your education, and people will know. if you're sitting your exams at the normal age, chances are you're nothing amazing.
it's just a fact you have to accept- you're, no offence but i'm guessing, not a genius: do you have a photographic memory, or anything similar?
the only thing that straight As really proves, in most cases, is that you have tried hard.
obviously i'm aiming for them, but only because i want a good chance at uni application. if you're thinking about not doing the exam, this suggests that it is an extra subject which you don't really need to prove you're good at for your UNI application (?). so, what's the difference between A and no A?
Reply 18
dunno much about it but i think its for AS exams.
you can choose to 'decline' a bad AS grade and then re-sit it during your A-level year along with your A2 exams.

Wish we had that in Scotland!!!!
Reply 19
layercake
dunno much about it but i think its for AS exams.
you can choose to 'decline' a bad AS grade and then re-sit it during your A-level year along with your A2 exams.

Wish we had that in Scotland!!!!

So do I, silly Scotland.

Oh well, hope it all works out for you :] What are you hoping to study next year and where at?

Latest

Trending

Trending