The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
annielouise12
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i didnt do any examples apart for the case study one on earthquakes

and on drawing the volcano formation one i didnt give example to name the plates i just called htem denser oceanic and less dense crust??

am i going to lose a lot? how much
AQAHH

As long as you mentioned subduction - and melting of the crust, you should get 3 or 4 marks. (The question was out of 4 - I think)
wtf???????

the increments could have been 5 couldnt they?
it would make sense
MangoTango
I didn't think the exam itself was too bad, and having pored over mark schemes I just want to prepare myself if I've been misled.

On the 6 mark questions for 'explain how a sea stack is formed' etc., as long as you explain it using erosional steps that are adequate and give an example, e.g. Flamborough Head, that is classed as a detailed answer, isn't it? They're not expecting you to draw a diagram underneath or on the lines :s-smilie: Also, what was the last question on coasts? I always get paranoid I've missed a question :rolleyes:

I drew a diagram on the 'extra space' haha. I didnt like the fact I had lines left.
Reply 23
paper was pretty short and easy
hunglimungli
wtf???????

the increments could have been 5 couldnt they?
it would make sense

My experience of graph questions is that they had unused space. Having increments of 5 would meant the maximum plottable value would be 25 but the maximum value in the table was 16. If you went on to plot it, you would have quite a lot of whitespace.
Reply 25
lol seeing your comments make me laugh. If the question doesn't ask for a case study or diagram then you can gain full marks without them.
For the glacial trough, were you meant to talk about erosion ie plucking, abrasion - thats what i did
Josh12
lol seeing your comments make me laugh. If the question doesn't ask for a case study or diagram then you can gain full marks without them.
For the glacial trough, were you meant to talk about erosion ie plucking, abrasion - thats what i did

Apparently a glacial trough is a U shaped valley.

I didnt learn this until after the exam, so I just wrote about the glacier moving down, then truncated spurs and ribbon lakes and stuff. I think I put plucking and abrasion too. Thought the more things I mentioned the more chance I'd pick up some marks. :biggrin:

I thought the exam was short too.
In the mocks our school made, they crammed as many questions as they could into one two hour paper so everyone was rushed. I had about 15 minutes left at the end of this exam though.
adam_1234
Apparently a glacial trough is a U shaped valley.

I didnt learn this until after the exam, so I just wrote about the glacier moving down, then truncated spurs and ribbon lakes and stuff. I think I put plucking and abrasion too. Thought the more things I mentioned the more chance I'd pick up some marks. :biggrin:

I thought the exam was short too.
In the mocks our school made, they crammed as many questions as they could into one two hour paper so everyone was rushed. I had about 15 minutes left at the end of this exam though.

I didn't know about the trough either - I thought it was an empty ribbon lake so spent my question describing that :rolleyes:
I think I wrote about "rock bars" and stuff though and hanging valleys so I'm hoping I get a couple even if it's completely out of context.
Reply 28
Ye trunctauted spurs, plucking and abrasion is what you were meant to write about because the u shaped valley is formed by the mountain getting eroded by the glacier and so a lot of its material is taken away. I think i will get most of the marks for that question even though i didnt mention trunctuated spurs.
What did you get for the labelling the picture. I got arete, corrie, terminal moraine

Latest