The Student Room Group

UMS Grades, help please?!

Ok, so I have ENB6 English Language exam on the 19th June. I need 47 marks to get the overall grade that I want.

The past papers say that this exam is out of 70 but the ENB2 exam also says maximum mark is 70 - however, my results sheet from last year says that it was out of 90 :s-smilie: I got 70 odd marks from my ENB2 exam, so is the ENB6 exam out of 90 too? As the 47 marks should hopefully be achievable!

Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anybody?

I think I basically need to convert 70 raw marks to UMS marks? Sorry, I really don't understand UMS marks :frown:
A levels are marked out of 600 UMS.

Grade A requires 80%, so 480 UMS.
Grade B requires 70%, so 420 UMS.
Grade C requires 60%, so 360 UMS.
Grade D requires 50%, so 300 UMS.
Grade E requires 40%, so 240 UMS.

Raw marks to UMS marks are calculated by giving a certain percentage of candidates a 'C' grade. One exam is likely to be marked out of anything between 90 and 120 UMS. As an example, assume an exam is marked out of 100 UMS. If you get 80% of the exam right, and it is a hard exam, your UMS will be greater than 80 and you'll get an A for that paper. If you get 80% of the exam right, and it is an easy exam, your UMS will be lower than 80 and you'll get a B for that paper.

Does this help? :smile:
Reply 3
So..If the exam is out of 70 and I need 47 marks..I literally need 47/70 and not 47/90(UMS)?

Argh, confusing! :redface:
Reply 4
secretmessages
A levels are marked out of 600 UMS.

Grade A requires 80%, so 480 UMS.
Grade B requires 70%, so 420 UMS.
Grade C requires 60%, so 360 UMS.
Grade D requires 50%, so 300 UMS.
Grade E requires 40%, so 240 UMS.

Raw marks to UMS marks are calculated by giving a certain percentage of candidates a 'C' grade. One exam is likely to be marked out of anything between 90 and 120 UMS. As an example, assume an exam is marked out of 100 UMS. If you get 80% of the exam right, and it is a hard exam, your UMS will be greater than 80 and you'll get an A for that paper. If you get 80% of the exam right, and it is an easy exam, your UMS will be lower than 80 and you'll get a B for that paper.

Does this help? :smile:

That's really helpful thank you.
Is this the case for ANY a-levels?
I'm doing History - edexcel.... do you have any idea if this counts for that as well?

Thanks
Cathy_Rah
That's really helpful thank you.
Is this the case for ANY a-levels?
I'm doing History - edexcel.... do you have any idea if this counts for that as well?

Thanks

Any A level, yes :smile:
Reply 6
Annddd becuase you seem to know your stuff can you help me with this:

so far I'm on 357 ums point.
and i have unit 6 left. which is worth 120 ums points.

do i stand a chance of getting a B??
Belle-x
So..If the exam is out of 70 and I need 47 marks..I literally need 47/70 and not 47/90(UMS)?

Argh, confusing! :redface:

Could you explain the situation? For example how many UMS you have at the moment, or what grade you're aiming for? Any of this would help :smile:
Reply 8
Same for all :biggrin: different scales ofc, but same principle :biggrin:
Reply 9
Cathy_Rah

You need 420 UMS points for a B :smile:
Cathy_Rah

Well to get a B you need 420 UMS.
If you have 357 at the moment, with the possibility of getting another 120, that puts you at 477, which is actually just below the A grade boundary. You need 63/120 UMS for a B, you'll manage that fine :smile:
Reply 11
are you sure, that seems really low :s-smilie:
becuase in biology i'm already on 462 in biology and 457 in psychology :s-smilie: so can i like fail my last exams and still get an A :|:|:|
Reply 12
secretmessages
Could you explain the situation? For example how many UMS you have at the moment, or what grade you're aiming for? Any of this would help :smile:

Yup. I'm on 313 UMS points at the moment (:redface:) and I want a C, therefore I need 47 UMS points to get the 360 UMS points I need.

Reply 13
Cathy_Rah
becuase in biology i'm already on 462 in biology and 457 in psychology :s-smilie: so can i like fail my last exams and still get an A :|:|:|

No, you need 480 for an A :smile:
Cathy_Rah

Those are your UMS scores from 5 modules, presumably? If so, then yes. :smile:
Reply 15
yeaaah by fail i ment get a U....
becuase even if u get 26 marks for exmaple its a U isnt it??:s-smilie:
haaa i'm such a loser.
why have none of my teachers ever told me about these grades :|
thank you anyway
you have prevented me from a panic attack :smile: xxx
Reply 16
Cathy_Rah
haaa i'm such a loser.
thank you anyway

Aw yeah I get you lol :redface: You'll be fine by the sounds of things anyway :smile:
Cathy_Rah

I think a U is 40% and you only need another 18% so I assume so.
Cathy_Rah
haaa i'm such a loser.
thank you anyway

Don't worry, you'll have no problem. Good luck anyway :smile:
Reply 19
secretmessages

Belle-x
Yup. I'm on 313 UMS points at the moment (:redface:) and I want a C, therefore I need 47 UMS points to get the 360 UMS points I need.

Can anybody help? :s-smilie:

I'm really confused because I also got 46/50 for a piece of coursework but there is no maximum mark of 50 for UMS marks! So does this still stand at 46 marks towards my final grade? Argh, sorry for being annoying.

Latest