Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Invalid NI number

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The website keeps saying that my NI number is invalid but its not! I can't find my card but im sure its right because i memorised it as soon as i got it. Has anyone else had this?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamy_whisper)
    The website keeps saying that my NI number is invalid but its not! I can't find my card but im sure its right because i memorised it as soon as i got it. Has anyone else had this?
    maybe you've memorised it wrong then
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    what website??
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Check previous pay-slips, it should be on there.
    I lost my NI Card a long time ago, too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I vaguely remember from working with tax a couple of years back that sometimes -if very very rarely - duplicate NINOs can occur causing a bit of a headache, may be possible?

To be honest it's probably more likely you've got the numbers jumbled. You can go to your local Jobcentre Plus and they'll sort you out with a new card, not entirely sure if they'll require you to know the right number though, but it's worth a shot. You can only get one replacement card though so you'll have to hang onto it.

Have you had a job previously? Your NINO may appear on your pay slips.

Might be worth giving HMRC a ring, they could give you some pointers

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/nic/ynino.htm
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nobodyslittlepumpkin)
    You can go to your local Jobcentre Plus and they'll sort you out with a new card, not entirely sure if they'll require you to know the right number though, but it's worth a shot.]
    You don't need to know the number. I lost mine a while back. I went down the job centre and just had to show ID and then they told me what my number is.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Titch89)
    You don't need to know the number. I lost mine a while back. I went down the job centre and just had to show ID and then they told me what my number is.
    Ooh cool, good to know
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mine was showing as Invalid the other day despite the fact I haven't changed it from what I entered last year and it was fine then. I just clicked save on the page and the error message went away so I don't know what that was all about.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dreamy_whisper)
    Lots of people have the same error message. According to SFD, it's because they haven't confirmed that the details associated with your NI number are the same as the details you've given them on your application form. When they've checked, the error message should be removed.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 5, 2008
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.