Reply 1
Where are yuo applying Tobias? and for what? :smile:
Reply 2
Adhsur
Where are yuo applying Tobias? and for what? :smile:

Will be maths, but not yet!
Reply 3
Pretty heavy stuff.

It may help some of you to know that English essays are due Nov 15th, while History essays are due Nov 30th.

Good luck everyone!
Reply 4
From the essays i'd say u were in....!
Reply 5
That's so heavy I can't understand it. Did they even ask you for work?

I would have chosen something more in the cambridge scheme of things, and more to show them how you think rather than what yuo know.
Reply 6
Tobias
Anyoen brave enough to post samples of the thigns they sent to Oxbridge? (Obviously AFTER the deadline, to avoid cheating!! And only samples, not the whole deal...)

I.e. title, application subject and a paragraph or so...

I just always get interested in what people are sending, and the styles of others, plus there was nothing to submit for my subject! :rolleyes: :redface:

I'll post a sample of the written work I submitted for Engineering when I get home. It will have to be a sample as its 100+ pages and 150MB+ :biggrin:
Reply 7
JaF
I'll post a sample of the written work I submitted for Engineering when I get home. It will have to be a sample as its 100+ pages and 150MB+ :biggrin:

lol why on earth so huge?
The deadline is 15th Nov for Mod Langs too, and you're required to submit 2 essays per subject.

For french, I'm submitting:
* An essay on racism and the recent hijab ban in French
* An essay on the use of setting in Hamlet and King Lear in English

For German,
* An essay in german on family relationships
* An essay on the November Revolution in 1919 Germany.

They're all just coursework essays, and I havent really done anything to them to bump them up to undergraduate level.
Reply 9
Juxtapiped.. can I just make one comment...

It's generally a faux pas to use condemnatory language in History. It is not your job to express approval or disapproval (even for the Holocaust), but to express why something happened. Thus language like "fanatical" and "appalling" has no real place in History. It also (though completely unintentionally) smacks of arrogance.

(Even though I, and most people would happen to agree with you) It is the reader's job to make up their own mind. Try to detach yourself from what you've written a little. Otherwise, good!
no i would disagree here. IMO, history is more than presenting the facts (esp. at this level), but rather it's about argument, and presenting the facts in a way which leads to an obvious conclusion. So analytical language is fantastic (rather than condemnatory). As long as you provide evidence, you can hold any opinion.
what i would say is a faux-pas is using the subject pronoun "I". Just sits badly in an essay - you should talk about the argument, not your personal views
Reply 11
I think i'm going to sumbit;

1) Political Theory - To what extent has and should state sovereignty become outdated

2) Philosophy - 'My thought imposes no necessity on things' - how is Descartes ontological argument meant to work?
Reply 12
WhatFreshHell?
no i would disagree here. IMO, history is more than presenting the facts (esp. at this level), but rather it's about argument, and presenting the facts in a way which leads to an obvious conclusion. So analytical language is fantastic (rather than condemnatory). As long as you provide evidence, you can hold any opinion.
what i would say is a faux-pas is using the subject pronoun "I". Just sits badly in an essay - you should talk about the argument, not your personal views

Ok, I agree to some extent.

History is about presenting an argument, but it is not, at the same time, about presenting a piece of rhetoric. Your argument itself should do the talking, not the language used to express it. A good argument will be a good argument whatever language it used to express it.

Using language like "appalling" doesn't actually add to the force of the argument - it just adds a piece of rhetoric, and arguably just comes over as glib. I've heard Holocaust survivors speak and i'm not really qualified to attach adjectives to their suffering for them.

If you were genuinely making an argument about why the Holocaust was terrible, you would surely go into elements of why it was terrible rather than use a simple catch all phrase like appalling. So, if he was intending to make such an argument (which I don't think he was), calling it appalling would make it an unqualified assertion.
For English, an essay on astrological incredulity and superstitions in Shakespeare.

Also, either critical analysis of Harrison, or Blake.
Reply 14
Tobias
lol why on earth so huge?

Because I'm an engineer. :biggrin:

Technicaly speaking I didn't submit the written work but I did have to take it along to my interview. One of the main reasons I chose Trinity was because hey wanted written work. Anyway here is a sample:

One of the problems the team faced was how to get the air to distribute evenly as it rises through the vessel. This is important during the homogenisation process as the sample taken has to be representative of the entire contents of the vessel. If the air is not evenly distributed, there is not only the problem of not homogenising the sludge but also the potential drawback of inducing a shearing force on the samples.

I have also attached the front cover if anyone is interested.
I'm sending a commentary on the medieval 'Pearl' poem and an essay on moral uncertainties in JM Coetzee's 'Disgrace'. The former is from 1375, the latter 1999 :rolleyes:

-Becs
The first page of one of my essays has a diagram that has been drawn in green, bright blue, orange and purple ink. If Oxford wants to know what I'm like, I actually think this diagram is a brilliant representation of me. :tongue:
Reply 17
I'm sending my coursework from last year (AS) on The Tempest - "Caliban: Demonic Creature or Divine Creation?" - and an essay I wrote in the last couple of weeks of the summer term, which compares Anthem for Doomed Youth with The Soldier. I chose these because I think they have reasonable contrast in terms of length, style, date and genre of subject matter, etc. Didn't have that much to select from though, to be honest - I have to admit to doing about half the number of essays everyone else did!
Reply 18
Well, i was planning to submit a bit of Creative Writing (my best) and something analytical, though i am having trouble finding something up to scratch...and really dont want to make something from scratch (anyone know where this idiom comes from?).The choice between my analytical submissions is either a Prat. Crit of Graham Greenes Brighton Rock or a comparision between a peice by Dickens and Golding. Any Reccomendations? Would it be advisable to get these up to par by asking the subject teacher if they would remark it?Or shall i just write something completely new by Nov. 15th? :smile: Thanks guys, good forum!
Between 2500 - 3500 would probable be best. Offically, there's no limit, but they should be a sensible length. They don't want a 15,000 word dissertation, for example.

Latest

Trending

Trending