The Student Room Group

Universities that run animal-related courses?

Hi, I would like to do a degree in an animal-related course such as animal management or animal biology, I just wondered what universities do these sorts of courses (within London preferrably) and what are their entry requirements? Would getting an A-Level in Animal Management be enough or would I need more?

Any help is appreciated
Cheers

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Farmer school
Reply 2
Have you gone on the UCAS site? I think they have a search thing for courses by subject.
Reply 3
is this for real
Reply 4
{City17}
is this for real

Of course.

What do you mean by animal courses, OP? Apart from vetinary science you have equine studies. However these are typically in rural unis/agricultural colleges such as the Royal Agricultural College (Cirencester). They'll be few, if any, in the capital.
Reply 5
Lol, animal management! Is that serious?
Reply 6
Oh. Actually for animal biology there are at least a handful. Stirling do a programme like that. I know of a couple of others who do PhDs (but not, I don't think, undergrad degrees).

There are some around, I'm just not too sure how many will be in London. If any.
Reply 7
Greenwich do a couple, middlesex, NESCOT (Epsom), and a few more in the home counties do a search on ucas :smile:
Reply 8
ok sorry for animal biology i'm not sure!!
Reply 9
greenwich do a 3yr FT or 4yr SW in animal managment
Reply 10
josee32
greenwich do a 3yr FT or 4yr SW in animal managment

http://www.gre.ac.uk/courses/ug/ani

When I chucked at "animal management" it was the idea of an A-levelm not a degree. I knew there were degrees like this around and have no problem with them.

I know Kent offer a similar degree (not in London itself, I know, but close enough perhaps?). Further affield there's at least Lincoln.

Have a look on the UCAS website on do a course search. That should also give you an idea of entry requirements.
Reply 11
River85
http://www.gre.ac.uk/courses/ug/ani

When I chucked at "animal management" it was the idea of an A-levelm not a degree. I knew there were degrees like this around and have no problem with them.

lol i know i was just pointing this course out to the OP! :biggrin:
Reply 12
josee32
lol i know i was just pointing this course out to the OP! :biggrin:

It wasn't directed at you, it's just I don't want people to misunderstand what I meant and to think I was belittling such degrees.

I made quite a passionate defence of equine studies quite recently. People don't realise its value in the rural economy.
Reply 13
Do you know what you want to do with it after? cause if not you maybe should look into it & look at the job prospects of courses such as animal management & zoology & make sure the options are broad enough for you afterwards.

I wouldnt do a level in animal management though! (does that even exist?) seems a bit of a narrow & specific course - for starters in the time it takes for you to get through college you might change your mind about what you want to do anyway, and also taking subjects like psychology / chemistry / biology etc. give you a much better back ground knowlege & variety of skills to take into the course - as well as the option to change your mind completely about what degree course you want to do, & could make for a stronger application onto your uni course
Reply 14
River85
It wasn't directed at you, it's just I don't want people to misunderstand what I meant and to think I was belittling such degrees.

I made quite a passionate defence of equine studies quite recently. People don't realise its value in the rural economy.

haha ok good good :biggrin: lol!

I know it annoys me soooo much when people put certain degrees down!! :mad:
theres animal science degrees, and theres bioveterinary science, although thats more lab worky and less hands on with the animals i think.
Aberystwith do a few animal/equine degrees (i know thats in wales but it could be worth a look just to see what kind of thing was available, as there arent that many animal courses in london due to the lack of animals)
Merrist wood agricultural college in guilford do one i think
and of course theres zoology
I was going to mention Merrist Wood as its a fantastic college!!! Worth a second thought!! There is also Hadlow in Kent?
Hammers_Gal
I was going to mention Merrist Wood as its a fantastic college!!! Worth a second thought!! There is also Hadlow in Kent?

have you done any courses at merrist wood? i was thinking of doing an evening course there next year
Annaconda
have you done any courses at merrist wood? i was thinking of doing an evening course there next year

I haven't but i know a couple of people who have! The equine department looks fantastic (i managed to have a nosey when i was picking my friend up!!) What evening class do you fancy? Are you close by to Guildford?
i was thinking of one of the BHS horse owners certificates.
i dont live close - in kingston - its quite a train ride to get there but if the facilities are really good then hopefully itll be worth it

Latest

Trending

Trending