The Student Room Group

Edexcel B Hurricane Katrina DME Exam..

Ok the time is passed where we can talk about it I think Lol.

I'll start off
Weren't Edexcel tricky on higher paper by saying that Option A costs too much so it was not an option any more.The people doing foundation could still pick option A though :eek: .Feel sorry for the people who revised Option A inside out.I did Option C from the start.

I actually found the test to be alright,I thought it was gonna be really hard because there was so much data in the pre release book but it turned out to be ok.

What did you guys put for the last question about "what else should they of included in the booklet"..

:biggrin:
I didnt have time to get to that really so just put that it would have helped to influence our decision if we knew ALL the costs, like of the port for option D cos that wouldve been very expensive!!

I actually thought it was quite hard.
Reply 2
I think the format was trickier and less expected than from previous papers. The last question on the Higher paper was quite unusual - they have never put a small question tagged on to the end before - and I think it was very sneaky putting it on the last page where students could miss it! The actual questions were OK but the Higher was definitely harder than the Foundation (as it should be, of course - but more so than in the past)
Reply 3
thanks everyone for your help in preperation for the DME! And Geogger, you're a total lifesaver! :smile:

the questions werent too bad, however unfortunatly i kind of ran out of time. a lot of my friends missed the last question and i ended up answering it it bullet point form. overall it could have been worse i suppose but i just wish that i had ten more minutes.

thanks again
Reply 4
Most questions came as anticipated to that's good. But I did drop quite a few marks here and there because of well... utter dimness :[

They do a lot of that now... sneaking questions at the end so you'd miss it @__@
Reply 5
Omg so many people just learnt A in our school.
I learnt A and D...and did the option question first. Lol.
And on the question relating to black people I said the US Government are racist.
And wtf were R or S or whatever? Lol :frown:
Reply 6
how many people found that they ran out of time? It seemed very tight....
Reply 7
sieni79
how many people found that they ran out of time? It seemed very tight....

Time personally ran quite well for me, had about half an hour to spare on the last question.

And boy did I need it; I had planned entirely on being able to pick Option A, so I was pretty shocked when the government blocked it :mad:

Chose Option B in the end, it's all good.
Reply 8
Yh I could of done with 15 more minutes.
The DME was ok that last question though did sort of stun me but hopefully I'm still on the right road for the grade I want
The proper 2 hour exam is next Thursday :eek: I don't know why but I'm looking forward to the geography exam on thursday LOL how wierd.
:biggrin:
Reply 9
Yh, I didn't find it too bad...although I think I'll wait until results day until saying yh it went fantastic..
I found that the last question was very weird, sneakily added in on the end...
And Yh I also didn't get what R and S were Meant to be...
They were the only two questions that I was like :s-smilie:
But luckily choosing the option was okay, as A was never in the running for me...
Anyways how did other people find the exam?
I'm sure you all did finee :smile: And I'm sure you will all be on the right track to getting the grades that you want...Remember we have coursework and another exam still to boost the grade in total...so keep my fingers crossed for all of you and of course myself :P
Geogger, I think has been fantastic for all the help so thanks geogger :smile:
Hannah (BromleyBabe)
Just another thought, does anyone know the marks that you have to get to achieve each grad in the higher paper?
I think I know that it goes from A-D, but would be interesting to know the number of marks you have to get to get each grade..
If anyone knows can you let me know please...
Enjoy the rest of your weekends
Hannah (BromleyBabe)
Reply 11
48 - A*
43 - A
38 - B
33 - C
29 - D
Thanks freecom2...
Very much appreciated :smile:
Reply 13
BromleyBabe
Yh, I didn't find it too bad...although I think I'll wait until results day until saying yh it went fantastic..
I found that the last question was very weird, sneakily added in on the end...
And Yh I also didn't get what R and S were Meant to be...
They were the only two questions that I was like :s-smilie:
But luckily choosing the option was okay, as A was never in the running for me...
Anyways how did other people find the exam?
I'm sure you all did finee :smile: And I'm sure you will all be on the right track to getting the grades that you want...Remember we have coursework and another exam still to boost the grade in total...so keep my fingers crossed for all of you and of course myself :P
Geogger, I think has been fantastic for all the help so thanks geogger :smile:
Hannah (BromleyBabe)

You are very welcome! Keep on this site for your AS exams too!
Reply 14
thanks for all the resources and help on the other thread. i've only joined a few days ago, the day before the exam and i didn't really have time to discuss on the thread. i only found it that day, so i didn't really have much time to look through the stuff. but it did help loads as my teacher is retiring this year and thus did not really put much effort in teaching in the latter parts of the year (but he's still a good teacher none the less, but it's hard to teach when you're about to retire!). we've only discussed about this in class for about half an hour, and we didn't get to run through the options, so everything was left to be done for homework. thank god i found this site, because i would'nt know what to write for the 12 mark question and much of the other questions!

i kinda ran out of time, and i didn't know there was a question after the 12 mark question, until my friend told me about it afterwards. luckily i only lost 3 marks from that and 3 marks off of a question i skipped near the beginning of the exam. i hope i could still get A* if the boundary is indeed only 48+. what marks were you given on your courseworks? i got 58/63, which i'm happy about but many of my classmates got 60+! there must be something wrong with my school!

and good luck in the long paper on the 12th! i'm so happy that they won't ask about rivers and coasts!
xrawriorx
thanks for all the resources and help on the other thread. i've only joined a few days ago, the day before the exam and i didn't really have time to discuss on the thread. i only found it that day, so i didn't really have much time to look through the stuff. but it did help loads as my teacher is retiring this year and thus did not really put much effort in teaching in the latter parts of the year (but he's still a good teacher none the less, but it's hard to teach when you're about to retire!). we've only discussed about this in class for about half an hour, and we didn't get to run through the options, so everything was left to be done for homework. thank god i found this site, because i would'nt know what to write for the 12 mark question and much of the other questions!

i kinda ran out of time, and i didn't know there was a question after the 12 mark question, until my friend told me about it afterwards. luckily i only lost 3 marks from that and 3 marks off of a question i skipped near the beginning of the exam. i hope i could still get A* if the boundary is indeed only 48+. what marks were you given on your courseworks? i got 58/63, which i'm happy about but many of my classmates got 60+! there must be something wrong with my school!

and good luck in the long paper on the 12th! i'm so happy that they won't ask about rivers and coasts!

Yeah same, I only found out about this site like a day before the exam...
But it just helped to get the information stuck in my head, although I have an extremely good teacher...I think I was just panicking...as you do :wink:
That question was quite sneakily put in and I almost missed it...I'm hoping that I get A* too, I didn't realise that the grade boundaries were so low, although that is a good thing :smile: I don't know my exact mark but I got an A in the coursework...
Good luck to you to...
Reply 16
Burgess model is the concentric model of urban land use with the CBD at the core and progressively moving out (like a dartboard or target) through the Zone in Transition, Industry, poor residential (small terraced houses), middle class residential and high class residential on the edge with dormitory or commuter clusters in villages beyond the urban edge.
Reply 17
I'll start a new thread for the main paper.
Okay thanks...

Latest