The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
yeah lol it felt proper weird like critisising teens when we r probs even worse than what they make out!
Reply 61
I was told that for section A, If you use the PEE method you can gain 3 marks.

Ie: Make a point (1 mark), Back it up with quotation (1 mark), explain what it does (1 mark).

Thats what i did but for each question A1/2/3/4 i only did 3/4 of them...

Have i messed up???
Reply 62
Oh yeah, What did people write for B1, How to cope with teenagers??

I gave advice how to sort them out..

Have i messed up again :frown:
Twincam
Oh yeah, What did people write for B1, How to cope with teenagers??

I gave advice how to sort them out..

Have i messed up again :frown:

i wasn't sure whether we were supposed to give them advice on how to deal with their teengagers, or advice on hope to prevent themselves from getting stressed out lol, but i ended up advising them on how to deal with them..
i tried to make my article humorous and conversational and for one of the rules i said not to embarrass them in public lol
Reply 64
choc-addict--x
i wasn't sure whether we were supposed to give them advice on how to deal with their teengagers, or advice on hope to prevent themselves from getting stressed out lol, but i ended up advising them on how to deal with them..
i tried to make my article humorous and conversational and for one of the rules i said not to embarrass them in public lol

Phew, im not the only one.

"How to cope with teenagers" does give the impression that advice will be offered to parents on how to take care of teenagers etc.
I only put my address on the letter, didn't have time to think of a newspaper one. And I agree what people are saying about section A, the questions didn't leave that much to write about.

Much preferred paper 1.
When I read the bit saying it was a newspaper article I absolutely grinned, then the letter was even more of a relief (future journalist who tends to write 'disgusted of...' letters over here!)

I didn't format either of them though - we were told that columns were a waste of time etc, and I just clean forgot about addresses. Oh well, I did end with 'I remain, Sir, yours faithfully' (also a Times reader, can you tell?!), perhaps that'll endear me to them...and I mentioned Boris Johnson in the advice bit, so if they're Tory it could get me brownie points!

Gah, stopped caring now, but I wasn't expecting articles I was expecting a leaflet or somesuch. Didn't comment on structure for either...oh well. Think Rafiki!
I really hope my examiner isn't a smoker... the letter was quite vehemently anti-smoking :p:
windinthewires
I really hope my examiner isn't a smoker... the letter was quite vehemently anti-smoking :p:

so was mine! :smile:

i mentioned how smoking was dangerous for your health and can increase the risk of severe health effects, but i wasn't sure what the effects were.....
i wanted to make the list long so i wrote down obesity and diabetes as some of the associated problems lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 69
ahh i did both sides to the argument:P and then at the end suggested things the government can do to improve the situation, ie build moking huts outside pubs n stuff
FreddoMufc
ahh i did both sides to the argument:P and then at the end suggested things the government can do to improve the situation, ie build moking huts outside pubs n stuff

lol that's a gd idea, my conclusion was rubbish cuz i ran out of time at the end and quickly had to scribble down some random nonsense lol
Oh, my letter was properly biased -- and I spoke to an eng teacher today who said not to fret if we hadn't done the address and such. Wahey!
Mine was biased too. I felt my argument would've been weakened if I started contredicting myself.
total.demokratik
Oh, my letter was properly biased -- and I spoke to an eng teacher today who said not to fret if we hadn't done the address and such. Wahey!

It was supposed to be biased. Writing to comment is pretty much one sided.
Reply 74
toothbrushes
It was supposed to be biased. Writing to comment is pretty much one sided.

The question was give your 'View' (Your thoughts). So that could be for or against the ban. However to get the best marks you had to show both sides of the argument and come to a conclusion.

I said why it was good, why it was bad and concluded the letter by saying the ban should continue but some public places should allow smoking ie: Pubs etc. This means both people, smokers and non smokers are happy.
Our teacher said you didn't need to give a balanced view, it asked for 'your opinions'.

You needed to just put your own ideas across in a sophisticated way.

Keeping both smokers and non smokers happy was not part of the task?

Butt, if you were arguing against lets say, then you could use the arguments for and turn then around to your favour.
Reply 76
I had 15 minutes left to do the letter; hence I'm pretty much convinced I've failed, considering I wrote as a pub licensee and in order to get some emotion in ended on the most tenuous point possible (the fact that smokers stop using the establishment therefore enjoy their pint and fag at home, therefore more kiddies getting lung cancer).
Reply 77
I'm getting very anxious at the fact that I didn't put an address on my letter. I found that the article was quite entertaining to write! I'm just praying that they don't knock off loads of marks for no address. I just thought you wouldn't have one on a letter in a newspaper, especially a local one. I just put Dear Advertister... :P
my article was ridiculously bad!!!!!!!! :frown:
i was rushing it loads, and didn't include any quotes or statistics or anything :s-smilie:
Reply 79
choc-addict--x
my article was ridiculously bad!!!!!!!! :frown:
i was rushing it loads, and didn't include any quotes or statistics or anything :s-smilie:

I should imagine, for an article such as a 'lively' one in a newspaper for this particular topic statistics wouldn't have been required. You wouldn't read a 'lively' article if it was crammed with quotes and statistics now would you :P
Don't worry!

Latest