The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
and does bad handwriting affect your grade on an exam, because mine sucked :frown:
ahijaw
World Sociology any one?
did the gender question,

Hardly anyone seems to do it on here, most people seem to do religion. What were the questions like?
Reply 22
sprat200089
Hardly anyone seems to do it on here, most people seem to do religion. What were the questions like?

8 and 12 mark one was on TNCs not bad i suppose
the essays were on Gender and the other was on depency theory take on developemtn so basically a theory question(make sense:smile: )
ahijaw
8 and 12 mark one was on TNCs not bad i suppose
the essays were on Gender and the other was on depency theory take on developemtn so basically a theory question(make sense:smile: )

That doesnt sound to bad at all.
Religion sounds awfull.... Good luck!
Power and Politics question.. went quite well. It wasn't an easy paper but the essay question was quite a good one as we did a fairly similar class essay back at the start of the year which I'd read over recently so I had an idea of what to write.
1a - briefly explain using the item, why some people are becoming disenchanted with the two main political parties - I said about them being very middle ground, less clear ideological distinctions and they're populist, Labour introduce policies such as tuition fees which go against old-Labour values of state funded education, scandals over cash-for-honours and MP expenses which I think was a little off topic.. wasn't too sure how to answer so I rambled a lot.
1b - basically 'politics and voting is no longer a two party thing based on class' - I wrote quite a bit but think I was quite repetitive with my points at times, and went in to voting behaviour with partisan and class de-alignment. said that there were other factors than class - region, ethnicity, said something about women and how younger women vote labour + fringe parties but get more conservative so it isn't a fixed class thing and they're more focused on policy than party ideology. mentioned pocket-book voting/changes in industry = embourgeoisment/consumption cleavage and how people vote on who can offer them the most in terms of economy/opportunity. Again I think I went a little off topic and repetitive in parts but could have been a worse question.
2 - globalisation has reduced the power and influence of the state - sociological arguments and evidence. talked about eu, less economic control, people feeling more powerful as a consumer than a voter, less power over flow on information/news (mentioned tibetan monk riots for some reason).. loads of other stuff I can't remember. wasn't too bad as we'd done a similar class essay.
I was so grateful pressure groups/NSMs didn't come up, and neither did theoretical perspectives!! A B for this paper would be nice but I can still get an A overall with a C so hopefully it should be ok.
Reply 25
all i kno is i used up all d pages on the booklet so if that isnt a B then i dunno wat is !!!! religion was ok

a)i wrote about privatelized worship, there is no more a single truth and i wrote a loads of nonsense which sounded like it made sense lol

b) i wrote about fundamentalism n the iranian war talked about the risks n uncertainty in the post modern society which has caused worry and confusion n in order to pull away from the things of the world one must go back to basics......

c) consensus n initiator of social change postmodernity,secularisation and the fundamentalism a bit of weber and talked about how now in the society religion has become both a conservative force as well as a force for change.
Reply 26
For the 12 mark question i related it to Beyer and how Christianity has influenced American politics to show it is influential and significant and also talked about religious countries eg Iran, Israel as arguments for the view traditional movements are influential...for against I used the increase in NRM's and how the reason for growth in them was due to the lack of significance in traditional religion! Not sure if I was on the right lines though since you say it was about fundamentalism! I also did question 5 for the 40 marker. Think I did ok...Hope so anyway?
Reading everyone's responses is making me feel slightly better; I've wrote some similar things.
I wrote loads! So I hope that works...
I did SO badly

8 marks, ok

12 marks, I have never even heard of those religions, i basicaly just out the item ina differant way adn jazzed it up a bit as I had NO imput of my own.

40 marks, also bad

all i did was marx functionalist weber, I didnt een ave time to finish and evaluate went terribly :frown:
Reply 29
What are u guys talking about? The 8 Mark question was on measurement right? Like methods wise? Or have i got this totally wrong?
Reply 30
well these were my answers

would these answers be correct

difficult to define religion in the first place - theorists define it differently - therefore has an impact on measurement as you can not compare the definitions

defficult to find a suitable method

defficult to find a time that was even religious

religion is an emotive topic - not always observable

This was my 4A answer? is this ok? i did obviously write explanations for all of them, just did not write them on here. because you all get what im saying
emma_daton
well these were my answers

would these answers be correct

difficult to define religion in the first place - theorists define it differently - therefore has an impact on measurement as you can not compare the definitions

defficult to find a suitable method

defficult to find a time that was even religious

religion is an emotive topic - not always observable

This was my 4A answer? is this ok? i did obviously write explanations for all of them, just did not write them on here. because you all get what im saying

I took to more like, can church attendance meaasure relagious belife, why it cant, then relgion can be privatised and personal, if so hard to mesure etc

but dont know if i did it right
Reply 32
prettyblueeyes
1a - briefly explain using the item, why some people are becoming disenchanted with the two main political parties - I said about them being very middle ground, less clear ideological distinctions and they're populist, Labour introduce policies such as tuition fees which go against old-Labour values of state funded education, scandals over cash-for-honours and MP expenses which I think was a little off topic.. wasn't too sure how to answer so I rambled a lot.
QUOTE]

:erm: I think I messed this question up because I didn't write any of this, I think I focused to much on the fact that it said "social class"
Reply 33
does anyone know if my answers are correct for question 8?
Reply 34
I totally messed up that quoting thing. =[
Reply 35
anyonee.....?
emma_daton
anyonee.....?

Why does it matter, its done now cant change >_< I think what you out for 8 marks will be fine, there are no wrong answers, and you did answer the question, so all is good right!
Mousickle
I took to more like, can church attendance meaasure relagious belife, why it cant, then relgion can be privatised and personal, if so hard to mesure etc but dont know if i did it right

Yep thats exactly right. It asked why its hard measuring religious belief not whether religious belief has declined.

I wrote about church attendance not being an accurate measure of belief.
Worship at home and on tv and radio.
Religious belief dosn't necessarily mean going to church.
Also wrote bout all the different religions i.e traditional religion then scientology and ufo cults and nfm's
And the fact people may go to church for different reasons, not necessarily because they believe in god.

~wildstarchild xD
Reply 38
I did horribly. Probably my worst exam ever, and I had heard rumours about the potential problems so its not like I couldn't of done something about it- could of revised better of course. man.
I thought the theory and method one was quite hard too. I totally blanked on the official statistics question.

Latest

Trending

Trending