The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Vazzyb
ok I read the FAQ - i dont think I need one for what im doing.

Thanks.

As Long as "You only watch downloaded or streamed TV AFTER it has been broadcast" then No, the following must also be true:

Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence AND

You only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries AND

You have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains

kexy
Don't talk twaddle, of course it's live.

tv catchup obviously isn't live as the live broadcast was hours/days/weeks ago. therfore you don't need a tv license.
its only when you go onto a LIVE stream on iplayer for one of the channels that it counts as watching live tv.
Reply 182
vas876
As Long as "You only watch downloaded or streamed TV AFTER it has been broadcast" then No, the following must also be true:

Your out-of-term address is covered by a TV Licence AND

You only use TV receiving equipment that is powered solely by its own internal batteries AND

You have not connected it to an aerial or plugged it into the mains

Nah read it more carefully ... those two requirements an OR not an AND.

So either you watch TV which has been recorded - thats ok

or you watch live TV under those three requirements.

That table on their site isnt very clear.
didgeridoo12uk
tv catchup obviously isn't live as the live broadcast was hours/days/weeks ago. therfore you don't need a tv license.
its only when you go onto a LIVE stream on iplayer for one of the channels that it counts as watching live tv.

Tvcatchup is not what the name suggests. It is live TV, it is showing what is on the TV at that exact point in time, just minus the TV aerial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TVCatchup
Reply 184
didgeridoo12uk

tvcatchup (as in the website) does need a tv licence to view.
Reue
x

Hey Reue, do I have a legal obligation to tell TV Licensing that I have no need for a licence? Why should this be an 'opt out' process? Not everyone in the UK needs one.
Reply 186
-WhySoSerious?
Hey Reue, do I have a legal obligation to tell TV Licensing that I have no need for a licence? Why should this be an 'opt out' process? Not everyone in the UK needs one.

No, you are under no legal obligation to inform them that you do not need a licence.

It is not an 'opt out' process, despite what the licencing authority may try to convince you.
Reply 187
Next year (well from July or september) I will be in a shared house, I believe with a joint tenancy agreement, we will get/have a communal TV and thus a licence for that, but each persons room has its own lock. I don't think we need individual licences for each room (if the occupant has a tv used to recieve a signal or streams live programs with a plugged in laptop) as well as a communal licence do we?

I got a threatening letter in halls after paying for and recieving my licence about a week previously. It was funny seeing flatmates panic about the letters.
Reply 188
dhr90
Next year (well from July or september) I will be in a shared house, I believe with a joint tenancy agreement, we will get/have a communal TV and thus a licence for that, but each persons room has its own lock. I don't think we need individual licences for each room (if the occupant has a tv used to recieve a signal or streams live programs with a plugged in laptop) as well as a communal licence do we?

Having a lock on your doors means absoloutly nothing. That is an urban myth.

If you have a joint tenancy agreement you only need 1 tv licence to cover all tvs in the entire house.
Reply 189
just watch live TV, as soon as a stranger gets in flat just hide your equipment i guess if ur not home they are not allowed in your room and search for equipment ?
Reply 190
spookytan
just watch live TV, as soon as a stranger gets in flat just hide your equipment i guess if ur not home they are not allowed in your room and search for equipment ?

How would a 'stranger' get into your flat?

And no, surprisingly enough.. people are not allowed to just wander in off the street and search your bedroom.
Reply 191
im assuming landords are not allowed to let them into your room?
Reply 192
lnwn
heyyy im just asking should i phone them up to tell them i dont need a licence cos theyv sent me a letter saying theyr now going to send a letter to me about going to court so i pay the fine :s-smilie:

Do you call up every plumber in the country to inform them that you dont have a leak and so dont need their services? Of corse not.

you are under no legal obligation to contact them and I strongly advise you dont contact them at all.

You do realise you need to be summoned to court by the court? The Tv Licence Authority cant just order you to go to court themselves.

Ignore their letters.
Reply 193
Reue
Do you call up every plumber in the country to inform them that you dont have a leak and so dont need their services? Of corse not.

you are under no legal obligation to contact them and I strongly advise you dont contact them at all.

You do realise you need to be summoned to court by the court? The Tv Licence Authority cant just order you to go to court themselves.

Ignore their letters.

ok thankssss
Reply 194
Sasukebun
Hey,

I was wondering... I got a letter from TV licensing addressed to me,not my house mates (cause I recently bought a TV and that company told the TV licensing comp.) and you say I don't need to contact them to tell them anything (I use my TV for PS3 only), do I need to contact them if it's specifically addressed to me?

Also my house DOES have an aerial that's linked to every room but it's not connected to my TV, it's just hanging there and i have a stupid house mate who opens the door for anyone :mad2: say he lets them in and they see that? would I get fined?

Thanks

1. So what if a letter is addressed to you personally? If I wrote a letter to you by name demanding you called me up and told me exactly how often you drank milk in a week.. would you? Just because it's addressed to you by name does not make it anymore of a legal requirement to respond.

2. Having an ariel is not a crime. The fact that it's not connected to a TV is proof enough that you dont use it. Heck, even if it was connected to the TV that still isn't a crime unless you actually use it.

The law specifically states you need a licence if you install television equipment for the purpose of recieveing live television signals. Therefore to challenge you in court they will need to prove you had the intent watch live television. Something very difficult to do and I expect the huge majority of their court wins were due to confessions.
When I have to get my own TV license, I might just not pay it (who does?) so I can use force to eject any inspectors without a search warrant from my home. :sexface:
Hey everyone

Sorry, not sure if this has been covered... if one of my flatmates has a tv license for his room, does this also cover our communal area?

Thanks
Reply 197
Jonny Sniper
Hey everyone

Sorry, not sure if this has been covered... if one of my flatmates has a tv license for his room, does this also cover our communal area?

Thanks

Yes, it does.
Just an update - Since sending 3 threatening letters about my impending prosecution if I don't pay for a license, and me binning them each time, I haven't heard a peep out of TV Licensing for a good few months :P
Quick question, we currently have a tv license for our shared house which unfortunately ends at the end of may when we wont be moving out until end of june. This is all due to an error I assume on our part, as we didn't realise that purchasing a 12 month license on the 27th June would in fact only provide us with a 11 month one. As we haven't got around to contacting tvla, would we have a good case if they challenge us in June with the claim we paid for 12 months even if our license end date doesn't state it? (we have the receipt with the date of when we purchased the license)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending