The Student Room Group

Reue's TV Licensing FAQ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
mfaxford
It might give then enough evidence to investigate more (peer through a window, knock at the door etc.) or possibly even get a search warrant. Those could then lead to providing suitable evidence to take someone to court.

To get a search warrent they need to submit evidence in court, which, as we've already stated, has never and will never happen.
It is advisable to modify the equipment in such a way that it cannot be used as a television receiver.

Yeah like I'm about to do that to my new TV!

Anyway I'm taking my TV to use as a monitor/with my xbox, it won't be connected up to the aerial but will be tuned in, as it's tuned in at home and I can find no way of clearing that, not that I'd want to as it just wastes time when I get home again. This will be fine right?
Reply 102
theronkinator
Yeah like I'm about to do that to my new TV!

Anyway I'm taking my TV to use as a monitor/with my xbox, it won't be connected up to the aerial but will be tuned in, as it's tuned in at home and I can find no way of clearing that, not that I'd want to as it just wastes time when I get home again. This will be fine right?

Yup that will be fine, plus how are they even going to find out if it is tuned or not? Unless you let an inspector into your home and grant him access to your TV, theres sweet FA they're going to find out about it.
Reue
Yup that will be fine, plus how are they even going to find out if it is tuned or not? Unless you let an inspector into your home and grant him access to your TV, theres sweet FA they're going to find out about it.

So basically demand evidence of a search warrant from them if they turn up?

I really don't get the TVLA, there's no way they can prove, for example, whether you were on mains or battery power at the same time as watching live TV via iPlayer on a laptop.

Of course, I don't intend to watch live TV via iPlayer with mains power, but a group that should be maintaining the law with regards to this should surely keep up with the times? Reminds me of the MPAA or RIAA.
Reply 104
If i was to watch through my laptop, unplugged of course, but use a bigger moniter connected to my laptop powered by the mains - is that legal?
lm_wfc
If i was to watch through my laptop, unplugged of course, but use a bigger moniter connected to my laptop powered by the mains - is that legal?

I'd guess that's fine, as the monitor isn't actually receiving any signal.
Reply 106
Reue
To get a search warrent they need to submit evidence in court, which, as we've already stated, has never and will never happen.

Assume the following:
They drive down the road and detect a TV being used in a house without a TV license. Yes such evidence may not be admitable in court.

However they now have cause to believe you are watching TV without a license. They can then use more normal means (knock on the door and look/listen when you open the door, watch the windows for the tell tale flicker. Listen at the letter box ....) that would then give them evidence to get a search warrant.

I'd have thought the likely hood of getting a search warrant is fairly high if they can show a video of your front window flickering and a local TV display showing a live broadcast where the brightness changes match between the two.

Personally I'd expect them to just send the person a letter along the lines of we have evidence that you have a TV used to watch live TV. Pay up or we'll take you to court. That would cost them less and most people would probably pay up at that point.
Reply 107
Reue

Here is my situation. I'm in private accommodation (unite) with 1 flatmate, who has put a TV in the kitchen. If it is his TV, am I still liable (as it's in a shared space)?

It's on the ground floor, with the tv plainly viewable through the curtains so if they do come snooping round it's pretty obvious
Reply 108
Smtn
Here is my situation. I'm in private accommodation (unite) with 1 flatmate, who has put a TV in the kitchen. If it is his TV, am I still liable (as it's in a shared space)?

It's on the ground floor, with the tv plainly viewable through the curtains so if they do come snooping round it's pretty obvious

I share my home with others. Is it my responsibility to provide a TV Licence?

It depends on whether you have a joint or separate tenancy agreement.

•If you have signed a joint tenancy agreement, you only need one TV Licence for the whole household, regardless of how many TV receivers are being used.
•If you have signed a separate tenancy agreement and you watch TV in your room, you will need your own separate TV Licence for your room. Of course, if there is only one TV in a communal area, then only one TV Licence is needed.

Ultimately, if your address is unlicensed, both you and your landlord could face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 regardless of your tenancy agreement.
Reply 109
Reue
I share my home with others. Is it my responsibility to provide a TV Licence?

It depends on whether you have a joint or separate tenancy agreement.

•If you have signed a joint tenancy agreement, you only need one TV Licence for the whole household, regardless of how many TV receivers are being used.
•If you have signed a separate tenancy agreement and you watch TV in your room, you will need your own separate TV Licence for your room. Of course, if there is only one TV in a communal area, then only one TV Licence is needed.

Ultimately, if your address is unlicensed, both you and your landlord could face prosecution and a fine of up to £1,000 regardless of your tenancy agreement.

It's separate. My flatmate also has a TV in his room and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a license full stop.

Am I liable, even though it is not my TV?
Reply 110
Smtn
It's separate. My flatmate also has a TV in his room and I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a license full stop.

Am I liable, even though it is not my TV?

Im pretty sure you are liable as I remember reading a similar prosecution awhile ago. Plus the fact that landlords can be prosecuted if their tenants dont have a tv license for their TVs.
I'm a bit unsure about the battery-operated device clause. I'm sure it actually refers to devices which are wholly battery-operated, rather than laptops which can be plugged in too.
Reply 112
mazza558
I'm a bit unsure about the battery-operated device clause. I'm sure it actually refers to devices which are wholly battery-operated, rather than laptops which can be plugged in too.

It says that you dont need a license if you are watching it on a device that is being powered by its own internal battery ie. an unplugged laptop.
Reue
It says that you dont need a license if you are watching it on a device that is being powered by its own internal battery ie. an unplugged laptop.

Stupid question but what is a plugged laptop? is that if the charger is plugged into the mains because my laptop battery is so crap so it is constantly charging and plugged into the mains.
Im taking my HDTV with me and its never recieved TV ONLY My xbox is used for it.. and it wont be ever... Is this cool because i was prepared to mangle the tv arial socket in the back of it... just to avoid the 140quid ... THanks if its been repeated millions of times. <3
Reply 115
XCRUSHESX
Stupid question but what is a plugged laptop? is that if the charger is plugged into the mains because my laptop battery is so crap so it is constantly charging and plugged into the mains.

A 'plugged in' laptop is one that is connected to the mains electricity. For you to not need a Tv License to watch Live TV on your laptop, it must be powered soley by its internal battery (Ie. not plugged into the mains at the time).
Reply 116
If I use TV Catchup on my "unplugged" laptop... how're they gonna know if I've plugged it in? Are they electricity police now too lol.
Reply 117
Pip_x
If I use TV Catchup on my "unplugged" laptop... how're they gonna know if I've plugged it in? Are they electricity police now too lol.

If I steal a stero from a shop and noone sees, how are they gonna know?

Just because they dont find out about it, doesnt make it any less illegal.

Quite simply; they wont know. However im just giving people the facts here about what is and isnt legal. If you use this infomation to commit a crime, that is your own choice.
Reply 118
I'm glad I read all this - really useful thread.
I'll get fined £1000 for watching TV Catchup if I plug in my laptop, but I won't if I leave it unplugged because my parents have a licence
... and there is no practical way for the BBC to find out whether my laptop is plugged in or not at any given time.

:mmm:
Reply 119
Pip_x

I was wondering the same thing. How could I prove that it was unplugged?
It would be simply be my word against theirs

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending