The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
No Future
I'm not yet at med school, but in my dept, most consultants are okay or some are even very nice, but there are a couple of consultants who are horrible!

e.g. world renowned for his surgical skills, but rude and horrible to everyone.

To the reg: "****ing hell. You're holding it wrong! DON'T DO THAT! Why are you doing it like that?"
To the HO: "For ****'s sake!"
To the sister: "****ing hell, it's all ****ing useless anyway!"
To the scrub nurse: "NO, NOT THAT ONE, ****!"
To the circulators: "Are you all ****ing stupid? Don't you know how to make it work? Didn't you have training?"

etc etc.
Sounds pretty standard to me.
Reply 21
Renal
Evil Ginger Bitch.

:mad:

Pardon? :wink:
Reply 22
I think the "And THIS is why women shouldn't do Medicine" is my personal favourite.
Reply 23
Helenia
I think the "And THIS is why women shouldn't do Medicine" is my personal favourite.

Incredible. Are you able to elaborate?

You're all giving me tantalising snippets without the details:p:
Reply 24
isi333
Incredible. Are you able to elaborate?

You're all giving me tantalising snippets without the details:p:

Oh, I can't remember exactly what I'd done. It was somewhere between my inadequate scrubbing technique, my annoying habit of knowing the answers to his questions and my hesitation when cutting stitches. I think it was the latter that was really the problem - after he'd shouted at me for one, I got really nervous! :redface:

I also got told a similar thing on my first day when I dropped some stuff in the DR.
Reply 25
Helenia
Oh, I can't remember exactly what I'd done. It was somewhere between my inadequate scrubbing technique, my annoying habit of knowing the answers to his questions and my hesitation when cutting stitches. I think it was the latter that was really the problem - after he'd shouted at me for one, I got really nervous! :redface:

I also got told a similar thing on my first day when I dropped some stuff in the DR.

:eek: So it was directed at you? Ouch.

I watched some surgery as part of my work experience. The surgeon had the thick, black sticky liquid (can't remember what it was called) that he used to stick the dressings he applied to the patient's skin. I was asked to squirt it from the syringe onto a bandage. But the stuff was so viscous it made the syringe plunger all stiff. Well, that's my excuse...at any rate, I missed the bandage and squirted sticky goo all over the scrubs of the nurse who was holding it out to me.
I wanted to die.

The surgeon didn't say 'typical woman' but now I'm wondering if that's what he was thinking...
Reply 26
Get the 'Cardiac arrest' DVD! Its from 1995, has some very nasty consultants on it. Great show :biggrin:
Reply 27
Fluffy
I laughed until a little bit of wee came out. :rofl:
Reply 28
I've had the pleasure of spending time with one. And in the field they're in, they should be trying to preserve people's sanity.

I've never wanted to tell a consultant to **** off before. They were trying to get a reaction out of quite a few people. Apparently they get a kick out of it.
Reply 29
John Lee
Get the 'Cardiac arrest' DVD! Its from 1995, has some very nasty consultants on it. Great show :biggrin:
And remarkably true to life.
Reply 30
No Future
I'm not yet at med school, but in my dept, most consultants are okay or some are even very nice, but there are a couple of consultants who are horrible!

e.g. world renowned for his surgical skills, but rude and horrible to everyone.

To the reg: "****ing hell. You're holding it wrong! DON'T DO THAT! Why are you doing it like that?"
To the HO: "For ****'s sake!"
To the sister: "****ing hell, it's all ****ing useless anyway!"
To the scrub nurse: "NO, NOT THAT ONE, ****!"
To the circulators: "Are you all ****ing stupid? Don't you know how to make it work? Didn't you have training?"

etc etc.

As long as he continues to save lives he could be as rude as **** to me and i would still respect him
Reply 31
Fluffy

Hehehe! So II was thinking of the same one :wink: Incidently, this particular consultant actually took me to one side at a Chirstmas Ball to tell me why my other half would not make a good doctor!!!!!!
Wow, I had no idea it was still this bad with consultants. Ten, twenty years ago I would've expected it, but now?
Still hasn't put me off though :biggrin:
you get a lot of sexist ****tiness still..... then there's the guy who i haven't met because he won't step outside his office, or let me inside :s-smilie: some poor nurse has to run back and forwards.

that and my clinical subdean annoys me but the less said about that the better :ninja:
Reply 34
fabo89
As long as he continues to save lives he could be as rude as **** to me and i would still respect him

I don't operate on that policy. They could be the best surgeon in the world and I still wouldn't respect them as a person if they didn't treat their inferiors well. I'd respect their skills, yes, but there's no need to be a tosspot the whole time.

Remember the old God/Orthopod joke... :wink:
Reply 35
God doesn't think he's an orthopod. :biggrin:

Remember how to hide a fiver from a surgeon? :wink:
Reply 36
Renal

Dunno. :redface:

What's the difference between a carpenter and an orthopod?
Reply 37
Renal

Put it in a text book!
Reply 38
Helenia
Dunno. :redface:

What's the difference between a carpenter and an orthopod?

A carpenter knows more than 2 antibiotics

(can you tell it's not been too long since I did Ortho, with an F2 who hated it!)

What's the difference between a rhinoceros and an orthopaedic surgeon?
Reply 39
:rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending