The Student Room Group

Mbbs/phd

Okay, Im aware that I am not currently studying medicine etc, and that as I embark on the programme my decisions may change etc. So dont be so harsh with the messages of hate and fury- you know who !!

But

I want to do a MBBS/PHD as I want to go into research and then into medical teaching, I know WTF.

From my research, I have found out that UCL, Lec and Cam currently do the programme.

What is your opinion on the programme- pros and cons ?

Also, how easy is to transfer onto the programme ?
Reply 1
you can just do the normal MBBS then PhD after.. that way you arent restricted to only three places to apply to. I guess you'd have to do FY1 and 2 as well but maybe the academic rotation, not so sure on that.
Reply 2
You should be thinking about your eventual goals and how you can go about getting them. What makes you want to do an MBBS/PhD specifically?
You can also do it at Bart's if you are particularly special
Reply 4
Also Barts offer an intercalated degree in Medical Education, might be something to think about.
Touche
You should be thinking about your eventual goals and how you can go about getting them. What makes you want to do an MBBS/PhD specifically?

As I want to go into the academic side of medicine, I think this is the best option.
crazyhelicopter
You can also do it at Bart's if you are particularly special

Wouldnt that mean I would have to transfer to Barts ? How many people do this course at Barts ?
Nasher and Basher
Wouldnt that mean I would have to transfer to Barts ? How many people do this course at Barts ?
Probably yes. I only know of one person who was picked as special during her BSc and offered the MD/Phd. Not sure if the course is bigger than that though
Reply 8
Nasher and Basher
As I want to go into the academic side of medicine, I think this is the best option.

If you want to do academic medicine, a clear pathway has already been established from the recommendations of the Walport report. You don't HAVE to bust your balls doing a MBBS/PhD together. You can find a copy of the Walport report here. Specifically take a look at figures 2, 3 and 4.

In a nutshell you might do an MBBS, then an academic foundation program, an academic clinical fellowship, a PhD or MD, a clinical lectureship and then some more (+/-sub)speciality training. There will be some flexability so you should be able to jump in and out of academic training if you so wish.
Thanks alot, the file was very helpful.

Latest

Trending

Trending