The Student Room Group

Starting c3 and c4... need advice

Last week I finished my C1/C2 exams, and I think I did really well in them... statistics, however, was another story. I feel as though I didn't do enough work over the year, and if I had, I'd have done much better.

I'm starting c3 and c4 courses now, and I'll be doing them throughout the summer. My question is that is it possible to take c3 and c4 at the beginning of next year, and somehow get through S2 by working tremendously hard?

Core seems to be my strongest point, and statistics my weakest... hence, would Further Maths be a viable option for me? If so, what modules would I have to do?

Thanks. =)
Definitely.
As far as I know, I need to do M1, S2, FP1, and FP2 if I take up further maths.

If I do, would it be reasonable to drop a subject and take up FM?
Reply 3
you don't have to do FP2, only FP1 is compulsory.

Did you find maths really easy?
Yeah... Core was insanely easy. It's just I didn't do enough practice so I didn't cover the entire spectrum of awkward answers they'd give, which I just won't do in c3/c4... seeing as I have the entire summer to practice, practice and practice.
Reply 5
Well if you found it easy and enjoy maths, and you have time, do further maths. but remember it is a new sylabus so you won't have past papers to practise from.
Reply 6
You don't have to do any more stats if you don't want. For my first A-level in maths, I've done C1-4, S1 and M1, and for further, I'm doing FP1-3 and M2-4. You could do something similar if you wanted. Heck, you could even replace S1 with D1 and begone with stats altogether. If it's a problem of your school choosing which modules you do, ask if you can self-teach a different module instead.
Reply 7
S2 is easier than S1 - only 4 chapters :smile:
tommmmmmmmmm
You don't have to do any more stats if you don't want. For my first A-level in maths, I've done C1-4, S1 and M1, and for further, I'm doing FP1-3 and M2-4. You could do something similar if you wanted. Heck, you could even replace S1 with D1 and begone with stats altogether. If it's a problem of your school choosing which modules you do, ask if you can self-teach a different module instead.

Dear God that'd be a hell of a lot easier. Problem with my school is that they don't like diversity; a person at my school decided to take a module of Economics earlier than expected and got completely ripped to shreads. Moreover, they seem to hate people doing things differently from others.

If I manage to complete c3/c4 by the end of August, is there any way there's a 100% certainty that they'd let me do those two modules early, drop s2 and take m2-m4 and fp1-3?

Would I have to do it outside of school?
Core 4 is a hell of alot harder than the others
Reply 10
wanderlust.xx
Dear God that'd be a hell of a lot easier. Problem with my school is that they don't like diversity; a person at my school decided to take a module of Economics earlier than expected and got completely ripped to shreads. Moreover, they seem to hate people doing things differently from others.

If I manage to complete c3/c4 by the end of August, is there any way there's a 100% certainty that they'd let me do those two modules early, drop s2 and take m2-m4 and fp1-3?

Would I have to do it outside of school?

I suppose that if you've put in all that work to teach yourself two modules, then I don't think they'd bar you from sitting the exams. In January I sat C3 on my own, there was only me and an invigilator there, and they didn't have a problem with it. Show as much commitment as possible, and they'll have to let you in the end. Ask your teacher what is and isn't possible.
pork products
Core 4 is a hell of alot harder than the others

Meh.

Only integration and vectors are challenging
Reply 12
I agree with EvenStevens, although it is possible to learn C4 all by yourself. Just make sure you know C3 differentiation inside out.
Reply 13
If they dont let you, sit them externally :biggrin:
Also, I really don't understand what I need to do for Further Maths... (edexcel is so confusing).

http://www.edexcel.com/gce2008/maths/9371/Pages/adv.aspx

From what I understand, for normal maths I need to do C1-4 and two Application Units (Choose two from S1-4, M1-4). For Further, I need to do FP1, FP2 or FP3 and 5 other Application units?

Is that correct?
Reply 15
I think for further you need FP1 and also either FP1 or FP3 and 4 other optional modules. You may want to check that, but that is what I thought. I will be doing (i think) FP1,2,3 D1 M2,3
I have nearly finished my AS exams (just FP1 to go) and have done C1, C2, S1, M1 and M2.
The WJEC spec for further maths suggests you do C3 and C4 before M2, but we are not doing C3 and C4 until next year (A2), I wondered if anyone else has done them in this order and whether it will affect my M2 result.

Latest