The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
falls_whisper
Everyone makes mistakes, and all these people going on about how cars are their "pride and joy" need to get a hobby. They're be on "Men who love their Cars" if they're not careful.

It was a mistake, you're sorry and have learnt from it. You've been honest and owned up, I really doubt they'd prosecute you for this. Good luck!

Can cars not be someones hobby then?
Mr Catbert
I can see you really don't care about your cars.
When my dad bought my car 3 years ago, it was brand new, when I left for university a year later, it was still in showroom condition.

Where's JC when you need him, I would like to see what a true car fan would think if someone reversed into his MG when it has a new paint job and then drives off without even leaving a note.

There is a difference between not caring about a car and it being scratched which can be repaired free of charge if you are that bothered about it.
peachy
Can cars not be someones hobby then?

It can be an obsession for some... I have no problem with it, but the poor girl doesn't need car fanatics screaming down her neck for such a little thing.
Reply 103
falls_whisper
It can be an obsession for some... I have no problem with it, but the poor girl doesn't need car fanatics screaming down her neck for such a little thing.

I guess they're just putting themselves in that situation, and thinking about how they'd fell if someone hit their pride and joy and drove off. I know I was livid at first. How hard is it to write a note and leave details. I know she panicked and I can sympathise so I'm not having a go, it's just that it's so blimming annoying when someone does it to you.
callum9999
I thought insurance companies won't increase your premium if it was someone elses fault.

They Shouldn't... But they do
This happened to me when i was learning, i was out for the second time, and didn't break soon enough and went into the back of (an illegally) parked car on the road my mum was like 'just go'

but i INSISTED i left a note, went to the police etc..and she told me as a new driver, if it was a minor bump, eg there was a teeny weeny little dent near the reg place, i didn't need too report it and it would be a waste of police time, because i was a learner driver aswell they usually let REALLY minor things, eg making a tiny little scratch, going through an amber etc go.

Then again i guess this is a bad thing because we really should have a zero tolerance...lol

ANYWAY, OP, tell the truth..be honest, and accept the consequences and just accept the punishment. Lying won't get you far, you could well be surprised..

ANYWAY
get your arse off TSR and contact the police!!
Reply 106
anna_spanner89

get your arse off TSR and contact the police!!

The police have already contacted her.
:rolleyes:
squeal
The police have already contacted her.

telling her to contact them...........
falls_whisper
Everyone makes mistakes, and all these people going on about how cars are their "pride and joy" need to get a hobby. They're be on "Men who love their Cars" if they're not careful.

It was a mistake, you're sorry and have learnt from it. You've been honest and owned up, I really doubt they'd prosecute you for this. Good luck!

fool, cars is the hobby

It was a mistake, but she didnt own up to it thats for sure, she was caught, i really do think they will prosecute her for this tbh
Jesus christ you lot are way over reacting minor scratches on a car aint exactly going to make it unuseable and if you care about your car that much you would know how to polish them out.

To be frank the speed your going when parking and reversing out. It would be physically impossible to cause major damage and if it has to the other persons car it a pile of crap then.

Yes we all make mistake and she shouldnt have left the scene but i wouldnt just leave my name and address on someone window anyone could pick it up. Your best betr would have probabily been to ring the police when you got home. When they come round just tell the trueth.

To all of you lot going on about how a scratch is a major thing we had a new scoobie keyed all down one side grand total to have it sorted £500 and we didnt even bother ringing the police
brokenangel
Jesus christ you lot are way over reacting minor scratches on a car aint exactly going to make it unuseable and if you care about your car that much you would know how to polish them out.

Ofcourse i know :smile:

brokenangel
To be frank the speed your going when parking and reversing out. It would be physically impossible to cause major damage and if it has to the other persons car it a pile of crap then.

Want to bet :eek:...
tbh a decent push on your back bumper , it can mis align, parking sensors can go, push the plastic in so there is a dent, possibly push the exhausts out aswell

brokenangel
Yes we all make mistake and she shouldnt have left the scene but i wouldnt just leave my name and address on someone window anyone could pick it up. Your best betr would have probabily been to ring the police when you got home. When they come round just tell the trueth.

Still no harm in leaving a mobile contact number, not many people walk around picking these things up you know!

brokenangel
To all of you lot going on about how a scratch is a major thing we had a new scoobie keyed all down one side grand total to have it sorted £500 and we didnt even bother ringing the police

Some people dont have that kinda of disposable money to be able to fix their pride and joy.
Reply 111
People do panic, the OP knows that she made a mistake and she is taking responsibility for it now. We've all made mistakes before- maybe not the same one, but in our lives we all make mistakes. It isn't a life and death thing.

We all know that people sometimes love their cars, and the OP knows that too- she has said how she regrets it, how she knows she did wrong and how she is willing to admit her mistake (And has already done so). Let's just leave off the criticism and focus on advice. She wanted to know what sort of penalty she is looking at, what action may be taken and so forth. So if you have any idea, post here.

I very much doubt it will go to court as if the cost of court is greater than the cost of cure of the damage it is a complete waste of time- so I wouldn't worry about that.
love your avatar llamaaa :smile:
Reply 113
uthred50
love your avatar llamaaa :smile:

thank you :biggrin: Yours ain't so bad either :p:
Llamaaa
thank you :biggrin: Yours ain't so bad either :p:

aha, my guitar, although amazing, bows down to your amazing llama llama duck :cool:

uthred:biggrin:
Reply 115
AMG

People literally spend 10s of hours on their cars, making it look brilliant, then some half minded tit to come hit the car, and to only think its only a car and to drive of is plain wrong or to be scared of the consequences is also wrong.

Do they? Ah yes, only if they have nothing else to do with their weekends :p:

People here seem to be equating a small prang in a car park to a hit and run involving injury to people, which I think we all know is total nonsense. Yes, it was wrong to drive off after pranging the (empty!!) car and the OP clearly knows this - but the people who would deck her for it if they saw her on the street clearly need seeing to as well.
Angelil
Do they? Ah yes, only if they have nothing else to do with their weekends :p:

People here seem to be equating a small prang in a car park to a hit and run involving injury to people, which I think we all know is total nonsense. Yes, it was wrong to drive off after pranging the (empty!!) car and the OP clearly knows this - but the people who would deck her for it if they saw her on the street clearly need seeing to as well.

Ah yes that justifies it, what was i thinking, yeah its fine op, you can come dang my car anytime :smile: Just make sure you say you where scared :rolleyes:

People spend that sorta time fixing their paintwork condition, to come back to be hit, and then on top no note..is pure crazy... on top of this the person whos car got hit clearly liked his car alot, as she got caught.

Why wouldnt you "deck" someone who damaged your property and ran of?
Reply 117
AMG
Ah yes that justifies it, what was i thinking, yeah its fine op, you can come dang my car anytime :smile: Just make sure you say you where scared :rolleyes:

People spend that sorta time fixing their paintwork condition, to come back to be hit, and then on top no note..is pure crazy... on top of this the person whos car got hit clearly liked his car alot, as she got caught.

Why wouldnt you "deck" someone who damaged your property and ran of?

The Police will frown on you "decking" someone more than someone bumping a car in a carpark.
Reply 118
lol when i read the thread title i thought u were gona say u hit a person. but hitting somebody else car is bare minor, but yeah..go alone with the story about u not knowing
Mr Catbert
You're a ****, I hope you get absolutely hammered with 6 points a massive fine and an insurance hike like you wont believe. I don't want people like you on the road.

I am just glad you got caught, its people like you that put our premiums through the roof.

Call the police, talk to them and see what happens.

Couldn't agree with you more, after 13 years of driving my premium is still ridiculously high because of imbeciles like this.

Latest