Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Political science and IR society

Announcements Posted on
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I study A level politics and will probably be applying for PPE/ESPS/Politics+Economics next year, so thought I might as well join this.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    Hi. I study A level politics and will probably be applying for PPE/ESPS/Politics+Economics next year, so thought I might as well join this.

Good Luck
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So, er, hello...

:K:

I'm aplying to university fairly soon (or at least I hope) for Politics. I've opted to apply for two AAB universities, two ABB universities and a BBB one as a back-up. However, I'm stuck for ideas of where to apply as a back-up - so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my predictions are AAAa, but I got BBC in my ASs, so I'm not really expecting to get any offers from anywhere asking for As... So this back-up choice may be vital!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toasteh)
    So, er, hello...

:K:

I'm aplying to university fairly soon (or at least I hope) for Politics. I've opted to apply for two AAB universities, two ABB universities and a BBB one as a back-up. However, I'm stuck for ideas of where to apply as a back-up - so does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, my predictions are AAAa, but I got BBC in my ASs, so I'm not really expecting to get any offers from anywhere asking for As... So this back-up choice may be vital!
    Have you tried Aberystwyth? Not that I'm biased at all...
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IlexAquifolium)
    Visited Essex, thought it was too remote. Aston was too small, Nottingham's course was rubbish, and Warwick I didn't like. Which is why you should never just pick five randomly on the advice of your (horrible) careers adviser.

As it happens I really liked Birmingham, so it was a good choice for me and one I'm glad I made. But looking back I shouldn't have picked those other four.

Stop making me feel old! :p:
    What careers do people from a Politics or IR degree get into?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kevin6767)
    Bonjour, I shall (hopefully) be undertaking a politics course in 2011 at uni Soon I shall be working as an assistant in the EU parliament, hello free european travel :P only 9ish more months before uni
    OMG that's amazing! How did you get that? Is their pay good (the people that actually work there) What uni's did you apply to?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'm very soon applying for Politics and IR. my 5 choices are York, Exeter,Birmingham, Manchester and Sussex. Just awaiting my teacher's reference...... :eek:
    But I'm still wondering whether to choose Sussex or Essex. What do you think? Which one is better according to you? :confused:
    Thank you.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    hello all, i have firmed Pol & IR at University of Manchester.

anyone else?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sadly I'm on the verge of entering my 4th year!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielj315)
    Sadly I'm on the verge of entering my 4th year!
    why?? at manchesta ?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SAMIR.NASRI)
    why?? at manchesta ?
    I mean continuing into my 4th Year out of 4 at a Scottish uni!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone! im thinking of applying for international relations/ politics this year but the problem is i dont know very much about the subject. Could someone please tell me about it? Is there a lot of reading? is it very hard?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any help on this ? >> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1797061
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m18)
    Hi everyone! im thinking of applying for international relations/ politics this year but the problem is i dont know very much about the subject. Could someone please tell me about it? Is there a lot of reading? is it very hard?
    Well, not yet being a politics student, I can't comment on a degree level but I take a level politics and there is looooooads of reading involved in that, I think you should enjoy reading if you are htinking about politics as you need to understand key thinkers and concepts and without reading their works, you will not know what it's about!

Hard or not - depends on the uni I would guess. Apply to Oxbridge - hard. Apply to Manchester Met- less hard. If you love debate and discussion of world topics, more often than not you will love politics.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello, fellow TSers.

The problem I am facing is whether to have an insurance choice or not. I mean, I am about to submit my UCAS application, and my choices include York, Sheffield, UCL, King's and Warwick all of which are quite demanding for Politics and IR courses...

Thus, I wonder whether I should have one less demanding choice? What university would you suggest for IR and Politics, which would be quite good but not so demanding in terms of entrance requirements?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eastern)
    Hello, fellow TSers.

The problem I am facing is whether to have an insurance choice or not. I mean, I am about to submit my UCAS application, and my choices include York, Sheffield, UCL, King's and Warwick all of which are quite demanding for Politics and IR courses...

Thus, I wonder whether I should have one less demanding choice? What university would you suggest for IR and Politics, which would be quite good but not so demanding in terms of entrance requirements?
    You should.

Try a department like Birmingham? They're good.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Have people heard from Warwick yet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simoncino)
    Have people heard from Warwick yet?

Nope. Not yet.
    • 4 followers

Was reminded of this earlier and it made me think back to my undergrad...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    ^ Hahaha, that's brilliant!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 17, 2014
New on TSR

The future of apprenticeships

Join the discussion in the apprenticeships hub!

Article updates
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.