The Student Room Group

Political science and IR society

Hello all :smile:

I was having a shufty through the societies the other day and noticed the lack of a society for those studying (edit: or applying for!) university-level political courses - political science, IR, politics and economics, etc. Most other university subjects (history, chemistry, biological sciences) do seem to have their own society, but us social scientists are rather underrepresented. :wink:

There is a 'politics' society, but this seems to have died a rather rapid death since there's already a subforum devoted to broadly 'political' discussion. I'd be interested in creating a society that isn't about 'politics' as a broad theme but as an academic subject.

I've noticed that there are a lot of people lurking on various forums who will be starting their politics BA/BSc this year and figured a society to discuss their course in non-specific setting could be a good resource for them.

Anyway...what do you all think? If there are no replies I will assume it's just me who feels this is a good idea :p:

Edit: Please introduce yourself, and you can sign up here! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think this is a good idea. If you'll have me, that is! I'm not at uni but will definitely be a politics applicant this year :redface:
Reply 2
Vesta
I think this is a good idea. If you'll have me, that is! I'm not at uni but will definitely be a politics applicant this year :redface:

Of course we'd have you Vesta!:hugs:
Reply 3
:biggrin: Yay :hugs:

I think it would be cool, and it can be anything from applicant questions to uni students discussing exams etc. Would certainly liven up this forum! :p: (although if it got too spammy they'd probably move it to soc chat)
Reply 4
Hey, Can you count me in because i want to apply for Politics at Uni as well :smile:
Reply 5
This is good! If we get a few more responses I'll put in a request to form a society :smile:
02mik_e
Hey, Can you count me in because i want to apply for Politics at Uni as well :smile:

youre not even doing politcs at alevell...
Reply 7
tomen123

Nor did I, I've still got a degree in the subject.
Reply 8
tomen123

Yes i know, I decided at the beginning of yr 12 that i was planning on studying Politics. And i actually think you should do your research, A Politics A-Level is not required. Got onto the Bristol website Politics or History as an Advantage. Anyway i was planning on doing a Politics AS Level next year.. ah well. Do you want to do Politics? :smile:
Reply 9
Likewise, very interested and wanting to apply for a politics related course as well

Count me in :biggrin:

-Guy
Reply 10
Vesta

Hav you got a list of unis you want to apply for? :smile:
Reply 11
02mik_e
Hav you got a list of unis you want to apply for? :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=583184 :smile:
Reply 12
Yep, as Ilex said :smile:

I'm trying to find some more ABB ones though, the only ones I can think of are Manchester, UCL (& eastern european studies), Birmingham I think, Exeter is AAB-ABB :s-smilie:

Providing I do well this summer, I want a mix of AAB and ABB universities, with maybe or two AAA ones. :redface:
Reply 13
Vesta
Yep, as Ilex said :smile: I'm trying to find some more ABB ones though, the only ones I can think of are Manchester, UCL (& eastern european studies), Birmingham I think, Exeter is AAB-ABB :s-smilie:

Try Essex. They're fantastic for politics and although the guide says their standard offer is AAB that's rubbish - I seem to recall being offered BBC three years ago. :smile:
Reply 14
Vesta
Yep, as Ilex said :smile:

I'm trying to find some more ABB ones though, the only ones I can think of are Manchester, UCL (& eastern european studies), Birmingham I think, Exeter is AAB-ABB :s-smilie:

Providing I do well this summer, I want a mix of AAB and ABB universities, with maybe or two AAA ones. :redface:

This is it isn't? I may have to rethink my plans on the choice of uni :redface:
Reply 15
02mik_e
This is it isn't? I may have to rethink my plans on the choice of uni :redface:

Me too, my exams actually went appallingly... especially politics :frown: *sigh*
Reply 16
yay for Politics soc. I've just completed my Politics BA this year, so feel free to fire some (general) questions if you like.
Reply 17
Hey! Prospective political scientist here :biggrin:

Hoping to read Politics at Birmingham this autumn!
Reply 18
Sounds good. Very little of the discussion around here at present is actually about political studies or science at all. Bearing in mind I'm a Political Studies student not Science, the latter being a mainly positivist course. The same will apply to most of us since there are far more places teaching Political Studies than Political Science. It needs to encompass both theoretical and scientific forms of Politics, but in an academic form, rather than the usual uninformed college-level stuff that goes on in here.
Reply 19
Dionysus
Sounds good. Very little of the discussion around here at present is actually about political studies or science at all. Bearing in mind I'm a Political Studies student not Science, the latter being a mainly positivist course. The same will apply to most of us since there are far more places teaching Political Studies than Political Science. It needs to encompass both theoretical and scientific forms of Politics, but in an academic form, rather than the usual uninformed college-level stuff that goes on in here.

Yes, this was my thinking. There's a lot of people asking specific questions about essays, applications and suchlike but very little general discussion about the degree itself.

Which modules do you take from the politics department as a joint honours student, Dionysus?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending