The Student Room Group
Reply 1
x=3x=3 by guessing.
What is this from?
drmath
solve

(log3(4x29))log3(x+6)=9(\log_3{(4x^2-9)})^{ \log_3{(x+6)} }=9

Rearranging the equation so that it is suitable for a solution by iteration, my calc gives me x = 5.031470148. Clearly this has been rounded off, but I still don't recognise the decimal. Perhaps it is 5.03147014701470...., in which case x = 5030967/999900. Plugging this value for x in the original equation gives the left hand side as 19682.99996, rather than the 3^9 = 19683 that is the right hand side.
Anybody got a more accurate calculator on which they could test this suggested value for x?
Reply 4
Johnsonion
(log3(4x29))log3(x+6)=9(\log_3{(4x^2-9)})^{ \log_3{(x+6)} }=9
log3(x+6).log3(4x29)=9\log_3{(x+6)}.\log_3{(4x^2-9)}=9
How?
Reply 5
Kolya
guessing.

Don't you mean "inspection"? :p:
Reply 6
Kolya
How?

Ohh I do apologise, I didn't notice the extra set of brackets. Post removed!

[I just had my last university exam this morning, cut me some slack :p:]
Reply 7
tommmmmmmmmm
Don't you mean "inspection"?
No, I mean by examination of integer values, nZn \in \mathbb{Z}, on a closed interval such that the single-valued function exhibits injective behaviour and is trivially evaluated using said integer values. :wink2:
Reply 8
Kolya
No, I mean by examination of integer values, nZn \in \mathbb{Z}, on a closed interval such that the single-valued function exhibits injective behaviour and is trivially evaluated using said integer values. :wink2:

Owned. :biggrin:
Johnsonion
Ohh I do apologise, I didn't notice the extra set of brackets. Post removed!

[I just had my last university exam this morning, cut me some slack :p:]

Oh no! I didn't notice the extra bracket either!!! Back to the drawing board.
i swear to God these threads are just questions drmath can't do on his problem sheets for uni.

he should at least have some input.

plus, koyla's answer works, what makes you think there are more roots?
Totally Tom
i swear to God these threads are just questions drmath can't do on his problem sheets for uni.

he should at least have some input.

plus, koyla's answer works, what makes you think there are more roots?

It would be good to prove that x = 3 is the only solution. I have tried proving that the function on the left of the equation is increasing, but I got nowhere.
Reply 12
I got x=3 by solving:

log3(4x29)=3\log_3{(4x^2-9)} = 3
log3(x+6)=2\log_3{(x+6)} = 2

MAPLE only finds x=3 but I have no idea whether that is the only solution.

EDIT: After plotting graphs, it looks very much like x=3 is he only solution.
Reply 13
Maths Buster
It would be good to prove that x = 3 is the only solution. I have tried proving that the function on the left of the equation is increasing, but I got nowhere.
It's certainly increasing when x>3x > \sqrt{3}, so we just need to consider what happens over the interval 32<x<3\frac{3}{2} < x < \sqrt{3}. As neither log3(4x29)log _3 (4x^2 - 9) or log3(x+6)log _3 (x+6) take integer values over that interval, we can conclude there are no solutions in that interval and so x=3x=3 is the only solution.
Kolya
It's certainly increasing when x>3x > \sqrt{3}, so we just need to consider what happens over the interval 32<x<3\frac{3}{2} < x < \sqrt{3}. As neither log3(4x29)log _3 (4x^2 - 9) or log3(x+6)log _3 (x+6) take integer values over that interval, we can conclude there are no solutions in that interval and so x=3x=3 is the only solution.

Very clever. I think it only necessary that log[4x^2 - 9] is not an integer over the range 3/2 < x < root 3, but thanks for the solution.

Latest