The Student Room Group
"conflict theory" is pretty self explanitory really - it refers to any theory that claims some aspect of society is characterised by ideological struggle. - Marxism would definately count as a conflict theory because it refers to the ideological struggle between bourgeoisie and proletariat. Feminism also works because of a woman's struggle under patriarchy.
Reply 2
ooooo i see, cheers could you name any feminists that are directly linked to crime and deviance so i can read up i dont have any notes on them ,,, eek
Unfortunately not - I'm not doing the crime and deviance unit :frown: I'm doing the stratification option, but I am sure there are loads of nice people on here who will help you out!
Reply 4
heidensohn is a big one for feminism and crime and deviance. the fact that women commit less crimes since they are constrained by patriarchy at home and in the social world.
Reply 5
ok cheers, any more i should be aware of , important people? cheers
Reply 6
Is feminism an important factor in crime and deviance?, because my teacher hasn't taught me anything on it.
Reply 7
it's come up before as a 40marker and it's on the syllabus.

It's nothing too hard to be honest, straightforward patriarchy etc. The section in your textbook should cover it well.

I know how you feel, we didn't even do ethnicity!
Theres the section on transgression, its completely seperate to everything else cos all other theories were based on men which is a constant criticism throughout them all, so this section was a recent add on, in sociological terms.
Reply 9
carlen is another one for feminism and crime and deviance. She done a study on 39 working class women who had been criminals and found that they did it because it was rational for them, their last chance and only opportunity to provide for their families etc.
basically a cost beneift analysis, for the women she interviewed crime was a rational choice, a benefical outlet for their poverty.

Kinda valid since crimes females are usually committed for - i.e. shoplifting, are ones tending to fit it with female gender roles (shoplifting to provide for family) (Prostitution complys with the patriarchal role of sex servant).

but contrast with some off the head stats saying that crimes that females commit are not always complying with female roles - i.e. the greater trend in wives beating husbands in domestic abuse cases and the growing number of women who have broken barriers, become successful and some do commit white collar crime.
Reply 10
i swear this was the essay question i just did in my crime and deviance exam a few days back lol :s-smilie: but yea i wrote about marxism and feminists :smile: i also threw in Neo marxists to have an argument against the marxist view
screenager2004
"conflict theory" is pretty self explanitory really - it refers to any theory that claims some aspect of society is characterised by ideological struggle. - Marxism would definately count as a conflict theory because it refers to the ideological struggle between bourgeoisie and proletariat. Feminism also works because of a woman's struggle under patriarchy.

yeah, Feminism is a conflict theory, but not linked to Crime and Deviance.

In this case 'conflict theories' refers to the Classical Marxist Approach, Left Realism, and Radical Criminology. Then Right Realism, amongst other perspectives, can be used to evaluate and offer alternative explanations.

Latest

Trending

Trending