The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You'll get used to it I did after a couple of weeks and now I am a shirt and tie person through and through...pinstripe excites me
Reply 21
Theres no need to be embarrssed. Everyone walks around in their uniform, especially around Belfast. Its a common-sight! You'll just have to get used to it. Sooner or later you'll forget about it. Although I agree about the tights..I wish I could wear socks too.

Though it is weird that you have to wear a tie. I thought in most girls schools, when you got to sixth year you ditched the tie? In my school and other local schools this is the case. 1st-5th year, shirt and tie. Sixth year its a open neck blouse with no tie. Much better really.
Reply 22
Kashya
Theres no need to be embarressed. Everyone walks around in their uniform, especially around Belfast. Its a common-sight! You'll just have to get used to it. Sooner or later you'll forget about it. Although I agree about the tights..I wish I could wear socks too.

Tights are awful arnt they! Socks are not an option for us.

I have tried holdups a couple of days this week, but I'm not sure they are the way forward. I'm paranoid they may slip a little and be noticable.
kookoo_koochoo
I'd have much rather have had this than a tie! We always want what we don't have :wink:

Haha, if you'd seen it, trust me, you wouldn't. :p: I looked like a cross between an air hostess and a kitten, it was ridiculous. Ties on girls can look cool, androgenous styleeee. :cool:
Reply 24
You'll get used to it :smile: Have worn shirt/tie/blazer/the whole lot for about 5 years now and I still hate it but I guess we just have to put up!

As for the tights slipping down - I echo what someone else said above about shorts over the tights, that's what I did. Our tights we have are terrible at the whole slipping down thing too.
Reply 25
chiquita
You'll get used to it :smile: Have worn shirt/tie/blazer/the whole lot for about 5 years now and I still hate it but I guess we just have to put up!

As for the tights slipping down - I echo what someone else said above about shorts over the tights, that's what I did. Our tights we have are terrible at the whole slipping down thing too.

I feel for you putting up with it for 5 years. I have managed 3 weeks and I'm done!

What sort of shorts do you wear? Just normal shorts or tighter fitting ones like cycle shorts?
irishgalalex
Tights are awful arnt they! Socks are not an option for us.

I have tried holdups a couple of days this week, but I'm not sure they are the way forward. I'm paranoid they may slip a little and be noticable.

...i went to a private girls school and we had a minging uniform...makes yours look like a cool fashion look! :eek: ...you do get used to it...and its such a mega feeling when you take it off for the final time ever! :biggrin: ..i chucked mine stright in the bin as I took it off...lol :redface:

...you say you tried holdups...all i can say is be careful and prepared for embarassment!.....we had to wear tights, except my lovely mother did not let me wear tights...she though they were unhygenic and made me wear stockings and suspenders from year 11 (15) until end of 6th form.....we had to do PE in year 11 and I remeber knowing that people were going to see them and it would be sooo embarassing.....i cried for days ...it was very embarassing.....
Reply 27
sophietrophy
...i went to a private girls school and we had a minging uniform...makes yours look like a cool fashion look! :eek: ...you do get used to it...and its such a mega feeling when you take it off for the final time ever! :biggrin: ..i chucked mine stright in the bin as I took it off...lol :redface:

...you say you tried holdups...all i can say is be careful and prepared for embarassment!.....we had to wear tights, except my lovely mother did not let me wear tights...she though they were unhygenic and made me wear stockings and suspenders from year 11 (15) until end of 6th form.....we had to do PE in year 11 and I remeber knowing that people were going to see them and it would be sooo embarassing.....i cried for days ...it was very embarassing.....

I think I will burn mine rather than throw it away! But yes I should imagine taking it off for the very last time is a great feeling. I really hate mine.

Yes I did try holdups for two days last week. They were more comfortable than tights definately, but I was very concious about them slipping down, even though they didn't, so I'm not sure whether its a good idea or not. I agree about been careful as it could be embarassing. That would just be so bad!

I have to say that was a bit harsh your mum making you wear stockings and suspenders. I would not dare wear them with my uniform. That must have been awful having to go through with that.
Reply 28
I am so used to wearing ties and blazers that when i got into the 6th form and didn't have to any more it felt so bizarre.
Reply 29
irishgalalex
I feel for you putting up with it for 5 years. I have managed 3 weeks and I'm done!

What sort of shorts do you wear? Just normal shorts or tighter fitting ones like cycle shorts?

Yeah cycling shorts type ones or tight gym shorts. They're the best way to keep them up =)
second nature to me
irishgalalex
I think I will burn mine rather than throw it away! But yes I should imagine taking it off for the very last time is a great feeling. I really hate mine.

Yes I did try holdups for two days last week. They were more comfortable than tights definately, but I was very concious about them slipping down, even though they didn't, so I'm not sure whether its a good idea or not. I agree about been careful as it could be embarassing. That would just be so bad!

I have to say that was a bit harsh your mum making you wear stockings and suspenders. I would not dare wear them with my uniform. That must have been awful having to go through with that.

.....yer...thats just my darling bit%^ mother....we barely speak now...she's just so selfish and opinionated its untrue.....can't say i;ve ever ntoiced any difference between tights and stockings.....wear both now....i wouldnt trust holdups though at school...not without a suspender belt....:s-smilie: :p:
Reply 32
irishgalalex

I wear tighter fitting shorts and that keeps them up. I'm not sure if normal shorts would work just as well, though I don't think so :s-smilie:
put the shirts through the wash a few times, they should soften up a bit... i always found shirts really uncomfortable too and that's what i did. although you'll get through them more quickly then, obviously!

Latest