The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ohh sorry i meant 13...yep your right The maximum was 13
i also have a copy of the paper and markscheme if anyone would like to look for 'education purposes'
Reply 22
Hmm if this c3 was alright... how hard do you think c4 will be?
cos the c2 paper was a bitch last year after a pretty easy c1...
prash_s90
the maximum was root13

The maximum was 13 as R = 13 and the greatest Cos (x-1.176) is 1
But yeah i thought it was a good paper! Compared with that of Jan 2008 anyways...lets hope C4 is too painful...eeep!
Reply 25
Gingersnap
But yeah i thought it was a good paper! Compared with that of Jan 2008 anyways...lets hope C4 is too painful...eeep!

too painful? lol hopefully a typo...
C4 will be painful. Almost undoubtedly so. I'm dreading the Diff. Equ. It takes too much common sense!

C3 was really quite easy. Simple questions, even though that 1b was a bit too long to be a first question - I kept looking for something that would simplify (like in January 2008, where things simplified to either 1 or 0 in that first question)
naomi*
too painful? lol hopefully a typo...

Yup massive typo indeed :eek: thanks!
Reply 28
michaelyus
C4 will be painful. Almost undoubtedly so. I'm dreading the Diff. Equ. It takes too much common sense!

C3 was really quite easy. Simple questions, even though that 1b was a bit too long to be a first question - I kept looking for something that would simplify (like in January 2008, where things simplified to either 1 or 0 in that first question)

Differential Equs are fun :smile:

But on a more serious note, although it may sound weird, if you can find an FP1 book, I recommend you look through the 1st order DE chapter as it will teach you a technique known as "Integrating Factor" which is an easy technique and applied to some DEs makes them a HELL of a lot easier.

Just me two cents.
Gingersnap
The maximum was 13 as R = 13 and the greatest Cos (x-1.176) is 1

yup it is 13:smile:
i found this paper harder than jan 2008 lol
started messin up in the second part of the first question... ¬¬' (yeah..it is the equation question..)
lets hope UMS are higher than the actual %. what do you guys think? will it be rounded up or down? (if up, i might scrape an A :smile:, so fingers crossed!)
dreamer*girl
i found this paper harder than jan 2008 lol
started messin up in the second part of the first question... ¬¬' (yeah..it is the equation question..)
lets hope UMS are higher than the actual %. what do you guys think? will it be rounded up or down? (if up, i might scrape an A :smile:, so fingers crossed!)

i've done jan 08 under exam conditions.
i got lost by the 1st question.
i still got 61/75 which was ok.:smile:

um i think since the paper was quite easy... you'll need 70/75 for 100 UMS
Reply 32
PrincessConsuela
hey guys. i logged in today to expect a massive thread discussing the c3 paper on friday but there's just a few small threads lurking about.

anyway...how did you all find it?

* hardly any trig identitys.

* the quotient rule proof question was fun (probably the most challenging question of the paper haha)

* i hate that a stupid STUPID graph sketching question : f(-x) caught me out. i was too busy revising damned trig to worry about graph sketching argh.

* the last question which was meant to be the hardest, was a simple straightforward iterative formula question!!

* i didn't know how to find the second derivative

*in the Rcos(x-b) question..to find the maximum, i did "-R". am i right?

come on people! let's discuss the rather bland and boring paper that it was!

There was a pretty massive thread covering everything you could think of for the exam, but t'was deleted (cos copyright law regarding the MS that was posted), so you prob won't get much of a discussion now, but to reply to your unanswered questions:

I found it okay, based on the unofficial MS I think I got 69/75, which is more than I thought coming out of the exam, and really gives me good leniency for C4.

Ooh I loved the quotient rule one cos I did a practially identical one the morning of the exam! But when I did it I didn't see the factor to take out (cos I had multiplied out the brackets), so that meant that in the exam I made sure I didn't do that, so got it right :biggrin:

Haha I messed up that question with the graphs, but that's cos I did the right transformation graph but I think I did the transformation to the graph in part (a) (the same one but modulus)...so that's annoying but hopefully just 1 mark lost. I thought the graph questions were harder than usual though!

So did you not find any of the derivitives? I found that question an absolute gift! A lot easier than q1 too, which I got hung up on for ages trying to work out if 8ln(2) is an exact constant or not!

You got the paper and MS yet? I can email them you if not.
Reply 33
alexsheppard11
i've done jan 08 under exam conditions.
i got lost by the 1st question.
i still got 61/75 which was ok.:smile:

um i think since the paper was quite easy... you'll need 70/75 for 100 UMS

Bit contradictary? I think 70 would be the lowest a maths paper would ever go for full UMS marks. If it was easy it would be more like 74/75, and the boundary for an A will probaby be quite high, ~64 maybe, but I hope not!
Reply 34
IChem
Really? I myself was under the impression that:

But that's just me

Lol love your pedantry there :rofl:
Reply 35
pcok
Bit contradictary? I think 70 would be the lowest a maths paper would ever go for full UMS marks. If it was easy it would be more like 74/75, and the boundary for an A will probaby be quite high, ~64 maybe, but I hope not!

64/75 for an 80 UMS A mark? Are you kidding me. Thats insanely high. I know the paper was easy, but it wasnt THAT easy, for me that is. I got 68/75 and wish i wold be a 90 UMS biatch.. anyway I find this paper harder than Jan 2008 dont you think? Ugh... But im really looking forward to C4 but yet im not really looking forward to C4. Find C4 easy at times, yet i find it hard at times.. So watever..
Reply 36
I hate the last question(s) in the C4 papers..they're always there to trick you out.

Btw, liakwen, why do you have such high warnings level? You've just posted 68 times!
Reply 37
IChem
Differential Equs are fun :smile:

But on a more serious note, although it may sound weird, if you can find an FP1 book, I recommend you look through the 1st order DE chapter as it will teach you a technique known as "Integrating Factor" which is an easy technique and applied to some DEs makes them a HELL of a lot easier.

Just me two cents.

mate, can u do fp1 before C4? out of curiosity . .
liakwen
64/75 for an 80 UMS A mark? Are you kidding me. Thats insanely high. I know the paper was easy, but it wasnt THAT easy, for me that is. I got 68/75 and wish i wold be a 90 UMS biatch.. anyway I find this paper harder than Jan 2008 dont you think? Ugh... But im really looking forward to C4 but yet im not really looking forward to C4. Find C4 easy at times, yet i find it hard at times.. So watever..

yeap, i think that too. this paper was harder than jan 2008.
think we're the only ones who think that:redface:
Reply 39
the jan one was really easy i think this was a litle bit harder . well i hope so nyway coz the boundary for hte jan exam was 63ish . .

Latest