The Student Room Group

what are my chances? getting into msc

Let me explain my situation...
I have regular grades (around 6,5/10) from a good but no excellent university in Brazil and I have a decent work experience.
What are my chances of getting into a good university in UK (LSE, LBS, etc) or in USA masters in econ/finance program?

Would crack the GRE solve my weaknesses?
I am attending the LSE summer school this year, and intend to attend the Harvard Summer School next year. Would that help as well ?
Is there any suggestion to help boost my chances of getting into a good university without an outstanding academic background ?
Reply 1
fernandomd
and intend to take the Harvard Summer School last year.

Don't you mean next year ? :p:
I think you'll have to refer to your GPA to see if you'd suit UK unis you want to apply to. I have no idea about the GRE (never heard of it before tbh, lol), so I don't know how it's seen by UK unis, though I'm sure summer schools can only strenghthen your application as well as having work experience would probably be the best.
Reply 2
Anatheme
Don't you mean next year ? :p:
I think you'll have to refer to your GPA to see if you'd suit UK unis you want to apply to. I have no idea about the GRE (never heard of it before tbh, lol), so I don't know how it's seen by UK unis, though I'm sure summer schools can only strenghthen your application as well as having work experience would probably be the best.

Yes.. you're right, I changed the words haha, now it's edited.
I am concerned w/ the fact that since I won't have an outstanding GPA, this would mean that I have no chance. There must be some way of compensate this.

btw, GRE is basically an standard exam to grade your quantitative and verbal skills.
Reply 3
up, someone please help me :smile:
Reply 4
I am not sure about LBS but I think GRE can give one an edge when most applicants all have high GPA like in LSE. I would doubt that GRE can really redeem GPA's scores in top UK university. Maybe you can do a good master at Brazil and score high then apply again to UK?
If you want to do a research-based Masters, instead of a taught-only one, then a good research proposal and a high IELTS/TOEFL score (I assume your 1st language is Portuguese) should give you an advantage.

The best thing you can do is email the admissions tutors on the courses which interest you, and ask for their advice. They shouldn't hava problem with being emailed; we all do it.
Reply 6
thank you very much you both for the responses
btw my toefl score is 106/120, and i haven´t done GRE yet

I have been thinking about doing a good masters here, but my life goal is to live abroad either in US ou UK, and I don´t wanna spend a more time here doing masters.

Do you know if I will face the same problem in US universities?
Reply 7
in the top universities,yes.but if you apply to mid-table unis then you'll probably get in.

Latest

Trending

Trending