The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Jeans? Do you not own trousers?

I presume that 'comfortable' means ties optional rather than 'casual'.
Yeah I'd wear a suit if I were you...
But definitely NOT jeans
Reply 3
Looch
Okay, so I have a meeting at the house of commons next wednesday and dress code is "smart but comfortable". I was thinking a nice blouse, black jeans (skinny flare) which don't look denim and possibly heels. Any advice? I need something that will look fresh as I'm travelling from Blackpool on the train which will take about 3 hours. Thanks :smile:

Turn up in jeans and you might make the speaker have a heart attack :p:
Reply 4
Nothing - i dare you
Leggings, buckle shoes and a wig. Oh and a sword.
Reply 6
haha well its a meeting somewhere in there, not a session in parliament, sorry maybe I should have been more clear :smile: I don't own a suit :frown:
Reply 7
What you say sounds fine, except as others have said don't wear jeans. Even on a school trip round parliament no one dared wear jeans!

Just a pair of smart black trousers or a skirt should be fine.

Out of interest, why are you going there? Do you work in the govt?
Reply 8
Thanks, black trousers it is :smile: I've been invited by a charity I volunteer for to attend a "reception." All very posh :smile:
Reply 9
I work at the House of Commons. The guest dress code is very lax. You'll get away with most reasonably smart things. Even fitted jeans are fine.
I went for a debate once, and a tour another time. I just wore a blouse and grey trousers for the debate and jeans and t shirt for the tour.
It was amazing on the tour, our group got to watch a vote for the lisbon treaty and saw the whole shadow cabinet, and john presscott voting!
Wings of Hope charity by any chance?
Reply 12
Nope, clic sargent :smile:
oh ok.. well anyway I went there for Wings of Hope and while my friends and I wore black trousers and a nice top.. lots of people came in jeans and some girls even came in pink tutus, their team t-shirt and fairy wings! anyway what im trying to say is, the people at house of commons didn't really mind.. so.. lol..

Latest