The Student Room Group
Reply 1
basically at the half neutralisation point, there are equal amounts of A- and HA.
Ka= [H+][A-]/[HA]

The [A-] and [HA] cancel each other out due to having the same volume and same no. of moles, hence same concentration.
This leaves
Ka=[H+]
Taking log of both sides gives -log Ka = -log [H+]
pKa = pH
spook2575
basically at the half neutralisation point, there are equal amounts of A- and HA.
Ka= [H+][A-]/[HA]

The [A-] and [HA] cancel each other out due to having the same volume and same no. of moles, hence same concentration.
This leaves
Ka=[H+]
Taking log of both sides gives log Ka = log [H+]
pKa = pH

Thank youuu....however i don't understand this bit...
This leaves
Ka=[H+]
pKa = pH

Why do you take the logs of both sides and why do you conclude that
pKa = pH:s-smilie:
Reply 3
i took logs of both sides to show how pKa=pH
since pH= -log [H+]
and pKa= -log [Ka]

so if Ka=[H+] at half neutralisation point,
pKa=pH

does that make sense?
Reply 4
groovyangel2008
Thank youuu....however i don't understand this bit...
This leaves
Ka=[H+]
pKa = pH

Why do you take the logs of both sides and why do you conclude that
pKa = pH:s-smilie:

Because pH = -log [H+] and pKa = -log Ka. Therefore, if Ka = [H+] then we can deduce that pKa = pH.

Not sure if I've made that any more clear, sorry if I haven't. >.<
ahhh i understand thank youu so much for your help wenzel and spook..:smile: i'm tryin 2 revise for my synoptic but as you can tell i've totally forgotten evrthing:s-smilie:
Thank you againn:smile:
evryone is so helpful on TSR i love itt:smile:
Reply 7
lol im doing the aqa chemistry a-level as well, i agree synoptic is tough.
Reply 8
Yeah, I'm revising for it too. TSR is it just a way for me to procastinate without feeling guilty, since I'm still technically revising.:biggrin:
arrr i hate synoptic...have you got any tips on revisin for it? i need to get an A but i don't know how that's going to happen to be honest:s-smilie:
Reply 10
groovyangel2008
arrr i hate synoptic...have you got any tips on revisin for it? i need to get an A but i don't know how that's going to happen to be honest:s-smilie:

I'm just doing a bunch of past papers. Plan on looking at the syllabus the day before the exam and revising the areas I feel I don't know too well.
yehh...thanks...i may jus stick to pass papers...have u managed to revise all of unit 5 then?
i really dnt think i'll b gettin an A in this subject:frown:

Latest