The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Oxbridge & The Open University

Good afternoon

I was wondering whether anybody on this forum knows any post-graduate students at either Oxford or Cambridge who completed their undergraduate degree with the Open University. I’m not so much seeking assurance that this route is viable (‘An excellent student with strong references would stand a fair chance’ etc…) as keen to hear specific anecdotes. I'm eager to build a picture of what makes an especially attractive OU candidate.

To give this post a context, I’m on course for a good First for the OU Literature degree. My A-Level grades are good but not great. I’m interested in the MPhil in Culture and Criticism at Cambridge or the MSt in English (1780-1900) at Oxford.

I imagine a strong OU candidate would have to have worked full-time during their study, so as to ‘justify’ choosing the OU route. Alternatively, perhaps they have achieved highly in areas which might be deemed ‘extra-curricular’. However, this is all just conjecture, and so I am looking for students to share their experiences.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1
Oxford and Cambridge don't really give you any feedback during the admissions process/cycle, so I'm not really sure what specific advice you're hoping for from those who have gone in with an undergraduate degree from the OU, as the people you're trying to target probably won't have anything to give. Universities look on the OU pretty favourably, and if Oxford/Cambridge look upon you as being capable of completing the course, then they'll let you in. I don't really see what the issue is?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
There was another poster who studied through OU and got accepted to Cambridge.
Reply 3
3 years ago i exchanged emails with a prof. in psychology there. i wanted to know if an open uni psychology conversion course is enough to get on the doctorate in clinical psychology, and he said all courses that were approved by the british psychological society were considered equal, and it was the personal statement/references and particularly the work experience that got people to the interview stage. i asked if open was good for psychology and if not, could he recommend a better place. he said that the important thing was the bps accreditation only, which open had.

it's a little story from a while back, but i was convinced that he didn't care where the student came from.

Latest

Trending

Trending