The Student Room Group
Reply 1
hey i took the eams and failed i may hasten to add lol yeah im not sure how it all went but i did find it particually hard... did u do it with ikes and there ridiculous support books that confuse you even more? Anyway it seems like no one else takes the subject how did u find it?
Reply 2
i found the ELE4 the hardest, ELE5 went alright i thought, infact pretty well. yeah the support books and website are total ****, the exams have nothing to do with any of it. hardly a suprise only like 200 people do it - only 2 at A2 at my school - and we both really regret taking it lol

i did manage to get full marks on my cwk though, how did you find that?
Reply 3
My school gave up on Electronics a few years ago, they started to teach Design & Technology: Systems and Controls. I've just took the A2 exam in that and found it quite easy, but revising for it was really difficult. The syllabus can cover any type of engineering, system or design. I find it's best to cover the basics of how systems work (inputs, outputs, processes) and then apply them to what comes up in the exam.

I'm doing Electrical and Electronic Engineering next year at uni, so I thought that it would help to try and take the electronics syllabus. I taught myself the AS, and did the coursework in the same workshop that we use for D&T. Managed to get an A in that without putting any effort in, just did a Scalextric lap counter that used similar idea's to those given by IKES with their sheep counter. I also took the electronics module in Physics (AQA) and found that really easy, apart from photodiodes and impedence (both of which I still don't fully understand)

After reading about how hard you found A2 I'm glad I didn't take it. Sounds like had I tried to teach it myself I would have done much worse. Plus, I don't think I would have had time to do the coursework (I was officially given 1 hour/week for about 10 weeks) to do it.

Latest

Trending

Trending