The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Write them again and again and again and again and...
Reply 2
Look at the mechanism in the George Facer A2 chemistry book, I promise you it explains it so well that you actually understand it, because it shows the role of the catalyst, and it all just makes sense..

and if it doesnt, ditto the post above! Again and again and again and again and ... :eek:
Reply 3
I'll change it a bit: write them out again and again and again for 2 straight hours directly before the test. Then you can just forget them.

God damn the jump-through-this-hoop exam system.
Reply 4
Flowcharts are the best way - then all the organic synthesis stuff would be easy.
Reply 5
flow charts? Hmm I would stick with writing them out, and then I write the titles all out on blank, and see if I can fill the reactions all in. Seems to work well.
Our exam board in the syllabus had this like massive scheme which showed all the different compounds (alcohols, acids, amides etc etc) and how they are all converted between each other. Writing that out a few times and reading it helped it stick in my head and you can sort of visualise it.
Write them down on revision cards and go through them regularly...this way you can get people to test you even if they don't know anything about Organic Chemistry, also it will help get things organised in your mind...
NB: Use pretty colours, they work wonders if you have photographic memory!^^
Reply 8
ye depending on how you learn...writing it down works for me and then do some past paper questions...my teacher gave me a huge A3 size organic route map which you could decorate with different colours for reagents and conditions...for some that was really useful but for me just made me confused! see what works!
Reply 9
Haha if I had a photographic memory I wouldnt be revising....
the trick is to learn it as you go, you can't cram organic chemistry :wink:
I find understanding the basics, then applying to specific examples as i'm revising them.
Reply 12
I reckon you can cram it! At least if you've done it a few times before.

Latest