The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

krisss
In alot of ways buying a nice suit dress for special occasion is totally cool. But buying stuff like that for day to day wear suggests that the person wearing them is arrogant and shallow.

...i don't get that. :confused:

i think that is a bit of an assumption that the person has bought it just for 'what' it is...agreed some people will do just that...but...not all will. Judging people on such little information is a very 'shallow' thing to do in its own right! Everyones different and should be judged as such....
Reply 81
A pair of jeans for like 200 euros, and a dress for like the same amount. Both have lasted me ages and have been worn in multiple occasions, so it's okay for me.
circlesquaretriangle
to the people who have £500 dresses, are these special occasion dresses or just normal wear? do you earn the money yourself or does someone else buy you the clothes?
because atm i wouldnt consider buying anything expensive as i cant afford such pieces. my parents could afford to buy whatever for me but they dont. that doesnt mean i dont lust after margiela or rick owens though.
i can understand why someone would pay for a dior homme suit or made to measure dress etc, i just think it gets a bit ridiculous if someone pays an excessive amount for something based purely on label and not on the actual quality of the design/piece, or ignores the fact that you can buy a white tank top for £1 in primark and there wont be much difference.

Most of my stuff is occasion wear, but I do have some "designer" everyday wear. Not because of the label, because i was shopping, and liked it, and bought it.

The dresses etc my parents/grandmother buys, and the other stuff is funded by my job and money from grandparents etc, doesn't mean I'm spoilt, shallow or arrogant.

I don't like Primark, it;s ethics are dubious, its layout and mess gives me a headache and the clothes don't fit as well as other clothes and so on.
krisss
Your buying into a brand, not how the item of clothing looks. Brands have connotations attached to them. Abercrombie and fitch = Upper class posh successful american influenced rich girls and boys. The A&F clothes dont necessarily look any better than normal high street stuff, but the idea of wearing them is to be a part of that lifestyle. By paying more and wearing those brands you are saying to other people you are part of that rich kid lifestyle, and thats why it CAN be arrogant and shallow.

Read what I have said. :rolleyes: I buy things because I LIKE them. NOT because of the brand. :smile: Rich kid lifestyle? :s-smilie: Christ, prejudiced/jealous much?
Reply 84
I think it's nice to have lovely well-made clothes since most of the time I'm covered in manure and smell like a horse's rear end :biggrin:
Llamaaa
I think it's nice to have lovely well-made clothes since most of the time I'm covered in manure and smell like a horse's rear end :biggrin:

Ditto :biggrin: Its one extreme or the other :wink:
Reply 86
£45 trainers...
To be honest, most designer brands are better made and designed than non designer brands, to say that everyone here who has spent upwards of a hundred pounds on one piece only did so for the label is pretty naive and presumptuous.

It's all subjective anyway really, just because you're happy with the more affordable alternative, doesn't mean everyone else has to be.

Having said that I dont think I've spent more than 57£ on the one item
£85 for my glasses

or

£65 for my over-sized shoes.
krisss
Your buying into a brand, not how the item of clothing looks. Brands have connotations attached to them. Abercrombie and fitch = Upper class posh successful american influenced rich girls and boys. The A&F clothes dont necessarily look any better than normal high street stuff, but the idea of wearing them is to be a part of that lifestyle. By paying more and wearing those brands you are saying to other people you are part of that rich kid lifestyle, and thats why it CAN be arrogant and shallow.

to be honest you seem like the shallow one
Reply 90
Tinkerbee
Read what I have said. :rolleyes: I buy things because I LIKE them. NOT because of the brand. :smile: Rich kid lifestyle? :s-smilie: Christ, prejudiced/jealous much?

Im was'nt having a go at you at all. I was talking in general, obviously you think the whole idea applies to you anyway. Your probably a perfectly nice person but your being very defensive.
krisss
Im was'nt having a go at you at all. I was talking in general, obviously you think the whole idea applies to you anyway. Your probably a perfectly nice person but your being very defensive.

I never said it applied to me, now who's assuming that I am assuming things :wink:

Tbh the way you wrote and quoted me :rolleyes: gave the impression that you meant me. I was merely defending all the people who you are wrongly labelling :p:
Reply 92
Tinkerbee
I never said it applied to me, now who's assuming that I am assuming things :wink:

Tbh the way you wrote and quoted me :rolleyes: gave the impression that you meant me. I was merely defending all the people who you are wrongly labelling :p:

I can understand where your coming from, and i can see how your could have misread what i said, but I'm not necessarily labelling anyone. People in general label themselves when they wear these things. No matter what you wear you are always going to get judged because of it, its how fashion works.
I have quite a few designer pieces but nothing more than £150. The bridesmaids dress I wore at my cousins wedding was £1500, and I have a couple of expensive handbags including a Chanel bag which cost about £700 but I didn't pay for those. The most I'd personally spend on a piece of clothing is probably about £200, and only then if I really wanted it and it was worth saving for :p:
krisss
I can understand where your coming from, and i can see how your could have misread what i said, but I'm not necessarily labelling anyone. People in general label themselves when they wear these things. No matter what you wear you are always going to get judged because of it, its how fashion works.

Ah but if I was dressed in all primark then wouldnt you assume I was a cheap skank :ninja:

*gives up*

Nakedness is the way forward :teeth:
Reply 95
cpearson
Oh my gosh, i'm sat here with my mouth wide open.
The most i have spent on anything myself is er, 40 quid. I have a dress that costs 60 though? aha

Same!! Only the other day I bought myself my end of year ball dress and that was only £30 from TXMaxx (recommended retail price £100 though mwah). That is seriously the most amount of money I have ever spent on one item of clothing. Why pay so much on one item when you can get far more for the same amount of money?

Apart from that I have a £350 watch that was given to me....that I rarely wear because its so expensive and I'm afraid to break it.

My favourite bargains from TXMaxx have to be my £1 Calvin Klien suit jacket (wasn't even damaged) and my £3 Ralph Lauren polo shirt.
And my favourite present has to be a seond hand Dior handbag, thank god for a rich family friend XD
Tinkerbee
Ah but if I was dressed in all primark then wouldnt you assume I was a cheap skank :ninja:

Just jumping in to say, no I wouldn't. Firstly, I don't judge people on what they wear, less still where the clothes came from. And, if someone told me they were dressed all in primark stuff then, apart from the issues surrounding their clothing production, I would just think they liked the stuff so got it / wanted to spend their money on something else / didn't have money to waste buying expensive things that are mostly inflated due to the brand name.

Just my view on the issue.

=D
My most expensive piece? I have a pretty nice Hugo Boss suit. My parents brought it for me because of an upcoming wedding. That's definitely a one off though. I have paid over £100 for a pair of trainers once and my coats were all over then £70 mark. No item of clothing that I wear on a day to day basis has ever cost me more then £50.
hang on tinkerbee i never suggested that you were spoilt or arrogant, lets get that clear. if you interpretted my questions as that then im sorry.
with the primark comment i dont mean that primark is the best for clothes, i just mean that what annoys me is when people cannot establish that such a basic item doesnt have to be designer. you can get a decent fitting plain vest from anywhere (topshop, zara, primark, M&S etc) so i dont think it is necessary to buy one because it has a vivienne westwood orb on the front.

i get a little annoyed when girls just get their daddies to buy them everything (part jealously too), people who dont understand the meaning of work or the value of money. i am fully aware of the poverty in the world, and i give money to charity. at the same time if i want to invest in a piece that could be handled down and worn again and again and i have the money to do so then why not, i dont see why people are snubbing people who have earned the money to buy designer pieces. why should anyone be ashamed of what they have earned the right to buy?

to the people who say that gucci and D&G clothes are boring and not that nice and its just a label etc etc you can buy it anywhere.. i mean to be honest i find gucci pretty rank. but there are designer clothes out there that are carefully crafted and very innovative. so say that all designer is just boring and a label is wrong, there are pieces that are worth every penny.
Reply 99
Tinkerbee

*gives up*

Nakedness is the way forward :teeth:

I wouldnt say it works that way.
To be honest by the looks of your profile picture no matter what you had on you'd look good.

Latest