The Student Room Group

UMS Calculator - Work Out What Grades You Need!

Scroll to see replies

Yes it is open
Reply 21
Zak
Yes it is open

Well first off all delete the numbers in the white cells on each page (there are six white cells on each page, in the middle, and 4-5 of them have numbers in so delete these).

Then for the first subject you said, I'd use the page called Maths, cos the AS modules are all out of 100, so enter you AS grades in the top three (out of the six) white cells.

Then for the coursework grade, you know it says unit boundaries with a dark green background, above the white cells and below, well delete the 100, 100, 100 for the ones below and replace them with 60, and whatever your other two units are out of (are you sure the final UMS mark for your cw is out of 60? Mine for both subjects that I have cw in are marked out of 60 raw marks, but changed to 90 UMS).

You can probably then do the other one yourself based on that but let me know if not.
pcok
Well first off all delete the numbers in the white cells on each page (there are six white cells on each page, in the middle, and 4-5 of them have numbers in so delete these).

Then for the first subject you said, I'd use the page called Maths, cos the AS modules are all out of 100, so enter you AS grades in the top three (out of the six) white cells.

Then for the coursework grade, you know it says unit boundaries with a dark green background, above the white cells and below, well delete the 100, 100, 100 for the ones below and replace them with 60, and whatever your other two units are out of (are you sure the final UMS mark for your cw is out of 60? Mine for both subjects that I have cw in are marked out of 60 raw marks, but changed to 90 UMS).

You can probably then do the other one yourself based on that but let me know if not.

Well my coursework was out of 52/60 I don't know if that was the UMS marks

It was PYA6
Reply 23
Zak
Well my coursework was out of 52/60 I don't know if that was the UMS marks

For AQA Psychology last year 52/60 was 72/90, but I don't know if that's typical of all subjects and exam boards, but useful as a rough guide, because otherwise you'll be thinking you need like an extra potential 30 marks than you actually do.

Edit: Ah well for PYA6 I can tell you yes it is out of 90, and as I said above that's 72/90 UMS.
Thank you so much. Rep for you
Thank you so much. I'll rep you when I can.
Reply 26
PLEASE HELP!

Hi. Could someone please download the UMS calculator and open it in any MS Office program, and then click save as and choose microsoft works spreadsheet, then upload it here, because I only have MS works spreadsheet! Many thanks, I'd really appreciate it.
Reply 27
alcampo
PLEASE HELP!

Hi. Could someone please download the UMS calculator and open it in any MS Office program, and then click save as and choose microsoft works spreadsheet, then upload it here, because I only have MS works spreadsheet! Many thanks, I'd really appreciate it.

Huh what's MS Works spreadsheet? Is it the thing that comes with your computer? Cos I'm not sure how to do that; I just tried it with the save as thing and it didn't have that option, probably because I don't have MS Works. :confused:
Reply 28
pcok
Huh what's MS Works spreadsheet? Is it the thing that comes with your computer? Cos I'm not sure how to do that; I just tried it with the save as thing and it didn't have that option, probably because I don't have MS Works. :confused:

hey thanks for the help. microsoft works is just another package. i thought it might be possible to save as that, when you select save as what file options to save as come up? thanks again :smile:
Reply 29
alcampo
hey thanks for the help. microsoft works is just another package. i thought it might be possible to save as that, when you select save as what file options to save as come up? thanks again :smile:

That's okay :smile:

Erm old and new Excel, Excel Macro Enabled, Excel Binary Workbook. Any good?
Reply 30
pcok
That's okay :smile:

Erm old and new Excel, Excel Macro Enabled, Excel Binary Workbook. Any good?

nah sorry they won't work, it's ok i've worked it out on my own now lol. thanks so much for the help anyway and good luck with your exams :smile:
i just work it out in my head obssesively because i'm like that and it makes me feel better.
i even spend time working out how many ums are typically dependant on certain bits of modules...
REP FOR HELPER:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Im doing english language A AQA and the things on the right turn red when i put in my own numbers?

Max points for each unit are

Unit 1 70
Unit 2 120
Unit 3 70
Unit 4 60
Unit 5 60
Unit 6 80

I put them in the green cells...then put in marks into the boxs but does not work:s-smilie:
kingofgods

Im doing english language A AQA and the things on the right turn red when i put in my own numbers?

Unit 1 70
Unit 2 120
Unit 3 70
Unit 4 60
Unit 5 60
Unit 6 80

I put them in the green cells...then put in marks into the boxs but does not work:s-smilie:

The total from all the units should add up to 600. Yours don't for some reason. Are you sure you're entering the UMS that each module is out of or the max mark you could get on the paper?

Have you got your provisional results sheet(s) ? It should say your UMS for each module and the max UMS you could have got.
allyourbase
The total from all the units should add up to 600. Yours don't for some reason. Are you sure you're entering the UMS that each module is out of or the max mark you could get on the paper?

Have you got your provisional results sheet(s) ? It should say your UMS for each module and the max UMS you could have got.

max mark..im sitting as and a2 at once so have no previous results...i thought i was able to just see how many marks i would need in each unit to have enough for different grades...

Im thick sorry LOL i get it now:frown:
kingofgods

Unit 1 70
Unit 2 120
Unit 3 70
Unit 4 60
Unit 5 60
Unit 6 80

They have to be the UMS marks.

It's actually

ENA1 - 105
EA2C/EA2W - 90
ENA3 - 105
EA4C/EA4W - 90
ENA5 - 90
ENA6 - 120

The marks you put in are NOT the marks on the paper you're sitting. They are the ones scaled up and converted, averaged out by the exam board statistically etc. etc. until they get back to you on your results slip.
Very handy resource - I can't believe I was ever so worked up about getting certain grades in my exams. :biggrin:

One question, though.. how the heck do I find the UMS for Edexcel exams?! Their website is so rubbish..
Reply 37
Fjarskafinn
Very handy resource - I can't believe I was ever so worked up about getting certain grades in my exams. :biggrin:

One question, though.. how the heck do I find the UMS for Edexcel exams?! Their website is so rubbish..

I'm glad you found it useful :biggrin:

When you want to find things on their website best thing is just to google it, like Edexel English GCE Specification or something like that, because I think that some areas in their website are quite confusing to find, so it's much easier just to google in and then that takes you to the right place!
pcok
I'm glad you found it useful :biggrin:

When you want to find things on their website best thing is just to google it, like Edexel English GCE Specification or something like that, because I think that some areas in their website are quite confusing to find, so it's much easier just to google in and then that takes you to the right place!

I ended up assuming all four units were 25% each.. but Edexcel suck, so it's probably wrong. :p:

Googling sounds like the best plan, yeah. Thanks again!!
Fjarskafinn
I ended up assuming all four units were 25% each.. but Edexcel suck, so it's probably wrong. :p:

Googling sounds like the best plan, yeah. Thanks again!!

examiners reports, right at the bottom!

Quick Reply

Latest