The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

I did mine earlier this year so I can help!

I don't know what exam board you're on, but they usually have info on the website. Here's edexcel's guide: http://www.edexcel.com/quals/project/level3/Pages/documents.aspx

I assume you're doing the dissertation. You've already done the research, so keep the notes handy! The next step would be a plan. The plan should include any research you have left to do and roughly what to put in each section. My teacher said to print off your original version, then make any changes on top of this original plan. This is because you get marks for changing your plan. Also, I know you've already chosen a topic, but you need to come up with alternatives and reasons why you chose the one you did. Keep evidence of this in a folder or something, along with all your other information.
Another thing, keep a log of everything you do. From research to writing up. You need the date, duration and activity carried out. You also need to identify any problems you've come across and possible solutions. The specification on that website tells you how to write up the dissertation.
Sorry if this is the wrong forum :smile: I am doing extended project this year and would like to be an obstetrician. One topic that fascinates me (my god I sound weird :L) are the labour positions and how the lithotomy position is not the best position to give birth in at all (from what I have read so far anyway). I was just wondering if you think this is a topic I could go in depth enough with, TIA.
Original post by v1k2a3t4
Sorry if this is the wrong forum :smile: I am doing extended project this year and would like to be an obstetrician. One topic that fascinates me (my god I sound weird :L) are the labour positions and how the lithotomy position is not the best position to give birth in at all (from what I have read so far anyway). I was just wondering if you think this is a topic I could go in depth enough with, TIA.

I think you could write loads about this because (and now I sound weird) there are lots of things around birth. So you could compare the positions and such. You could also compare other things, like the use of painkillers, c-sections etc. just to make your dissertation a bit longer if you need to!
Reply 2043
Hi i'm starting my EPQ in about a week and i cannot think of a title/question for it. I like it to be based around DNR and any ideas would be really appreciated as I am totally stuck! Thanks
Original post by hlg
Hi i'm starting my EPQ in about a week and i cannot think of a title/question for it. I like it to be based around DNR and any ideas would be really appreciated as I am totally stuck! Thanks

what's DNR?
Reply 2045
For my EPQ, is it okay if I use all the raw data from my physics coursework, including some analysis, but rewrite the introduction and introduce a more broader hypothesis? Or is this strictly not allowed? I would add in extra raw data if necessary so only a quarter or so would be copy-and-paste.
Original post by Zhy
For my EPQ, is it okay if I use all the raw data from my physics coursework, including some analysis, but rewrite the introduction and introduce a more broader hypothesis? Or is this strictly not allowed? I would add in extra raw data if necessary so only a quarter or so would be copy-and-paste.

I would say no because that the means that the topic IS related to your coursework and you are not allowed to lift ANYTHING from previous/other material from your A levels. That's what I was told anyway.
Reply 2047
But how 'related' can it be? If my physics coursework at GCSE was on optics, can my EPQ be on optics as well?

And how would they find out?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Zhy
But how 'related' can it be? If my physics coursework at GCSE was on optics, can my EPQ be on optics as well?

And how would they find out?

Well because you study optics as far as I was aware you can't write about the same topic. You are going to have to explain what the full title of your EPQ is and what the coursework was about for me to establish how similar they are. But to be honest, I was told you cannot lift any previous info from courseworks etc. Trust me, someone tried to do this in my year without realising and my centre coordinator told them bluntly you can't do that. They could check, I know they use a variety of methods.
Is it too late to start? Also, any tips?
Hi quick question. is it 5000 words WITH evaluatio of sources? Really confused :s
What sort of titles are people writing their essays about?

I wrote two essays last year for school chemistry competitions, and was wondering whether I could use one of them for an EPQ.
My essays are:

Atoms, Molecules and Bonding (5500 words)

Solar Power: The Solution to Pollution? (3500 words)

Obviously I would have to brush them up a bit, but they did win me 2nd and 1st place respectively, so they can't be that far off the mark. Do you think I should bother looking into this more, or are the titles/topics too overlapped by chemistry A-level?
Reply 2052
Sorry if this has already been asked but i've just finished AS, would I be able to begin an EPQ when i go back next week? Or do you have to do it during your AS year?
OOO Sub'd starting mine next friday and I want to do a topic on the Middle East not related to war or politics.

I'm thinking about something to do with literature, religion, possibly looking at womens roles in the middle east but not entirely sure... anybody got any tips?

Would actually love to do something about the Iranian Revolution and the knock on effects it had on the rest of the Middle East but I don't know if that is too broad a topic. (Does anyone know if that is or not). THANK YOU!!
(edited 12 years ago)
My advice to anyone doing the EPQ is to just WRITE. Even if it's just in note form. Also, try to break up your project into small tasks - you'll feel less overwhelmed and a bit more organised when you know what you're doing :smile:
Reply 2055
Is there a word limit? Would I get penalised for writing 20000+ words?
Original post by EmilieTheGreat
I think you could write loads about this because (and now I sound weird) there are lots of things around birth. So you could compare the positions and such. You could also compare other things, like the use of painkillers, c-sections etc. just to make your dissertation a bit longer if you need to!

Thank you!
Hey,

I have a couple of questions about the enrichment diary.

1. Does it matter if I did something in February but only include it today?
2. Does doing a Zumba class count as enrichment activities?

Thanks
Any ideas on what to make for an engineering Extended Project Qualification?
Nothing too specific, but if I was to specify then I would have it in aeronautics
(edited 12 years ago)
I need to be able to make it fairly quickly too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending