Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    60.22%
    not helpful
    39.78%

• 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    But how 'related' can it be? If my physics coursework at GCSE was on optics, can my EPQ be on optics as well?

And how would they find out?
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhy)
    But how 'related' can it be? If my physics coursework at GCSE was on optics, can my EPQ be on optics as well?

And how would they find out?
    Well because you study optics as far as I was aware you can't write about the same topic. You are going to have to explain what the full title of your EPQ is and what the coursework was about for me to establish how similar they are. But to be honest, I was told you cannot lift any previous info from courseworks etc. Trust me, someone tried to do this in my year without realising and my centre coordinator told them bluntly you can't do that. They could check, I know they use a variety of methods.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is it too late to start? Also, any tips?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hi quick question. is it 5000 words WITH evaluatio of sources? Really confused :s
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    What sort of titles are people writing their essays about?

I wrote two essays last year for school chemistry competitions, and was wondering whether I could use one of them for an EPQ.
    My essays are:
    • Atoms, Molecules and Bonding (5500 words)
    • Solar Power: The Solution to Pollution? (3500 words)

Obviously I would have to brush them up a bit, but they did win me 2nd and 1st place respectively, so they can't be that far off the mark. Do you think I should bother looking into this more, or are the titles/topics too overlapped by chemistry A-level?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been asked but i've just finished AS, would I be able to begin an EPQ when i go back next week? Or do you have to do it during your AS year?
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    OOO Sub'd starting mine next friday and I want to do a topic on the Middle East not related to war or politics.

I'm thinking about something to do with literature, religion, possibly looking at womens roles in the middle east but not entirely sure... anybody got any tips?

Would actually love to do something about the Iranian Revolution and the knock on effects it had on the rest of the Middle East but I don't know if that is too broad a topic. (Does anyone know if that is or not). THANK YOU!!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    My advice to anyone doing the EPQ is to just WRITE. Even if it's just in note form. Also, try to break up your project into small tasks - you'll feel less overwhelmed and a bit more organised when you know what you're doing
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Is there a word limit? Would I get penalised for writing 20000+ words?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmilieTheGreat)
    I think you could write loads about this because (and now I sound weird) there are lots of things around birth. So you could compare the positions and such. You could also compare other things, like the use of painkillers, c-sections etc. just to make your dissertation a bit longer if you need to!
    Thank you!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I have a couple of questions about the enrichment diary.

1. Does it matter if I did something in February but only include it today?
    2. Does doing a Zumba class count as enrichment activities?

Thanks
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Any ideas on what to make for an engineering Extended Project Qualification?
    Nothing too specific, but if I was to specify then I would have it in aeronautics
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I need to be able to make it fairly quickly too.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by verdhy)
    Hi quick question. is it 5000 words WITH evaluatio of sources? Really confused :s
    No, I believe it's without!

(Original post by Zhy)
    Is there a word limit? Would I get penalised for writing 20000+ words?
    The word limit for mine was 6000 with 10% boundary, so from 5400 to 6600! You'll have to check with your school though. Also, I don't think the examiners/your teacher would have the patience to read a 20000 word essay!
    • 17 followers

ReputationRep:
    Oh, okay... thanks. I hope they're not too bothered about word limits!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this has already been asked, and sorry if it's, a stupid question.

Pretty much everyone I know is doing a project with a question for a title, some kind of thesis, exploration into some idea, etc, and the same seems to be true from what I've seen skimming through this thread.

My EPQ is simply "The Life Cycle of Stars"; it's not a question so much a description/explanation. Both my supervisor and project manager have said this is fine but if I'm honest, they're both idiots. Does the AQA specification say anything about this? I've looked but not found anything...

Thanks.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TenaciousMonkey)
    Sorry if this has already been asked, and sorry if it's, a stupid question.

Pretty much everyone I know is doing a project with a question for a title, some kind of thesis, exploration into some idea, etc, and the same seems to be true from what I've seen skimming through this thread.

My EPQ is simply "The Life Cycle of Stars"; it's not a question so much a description/explanation. Both my supervisor and project manager have said this is fine but if I'm honest, they're both idiots. Does the AQA specification say anything about this? I've looked but not found anything...

Thanks.
    Mine isn't a question
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been recommended to pick this choice, but can anyone help out on a basic outline of what it is an what it consists of, how how much is it worth?
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CloClo7)
    Mine isn't a question
    Can I ask what your title is?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The Economic Analysis Behind (and then the rest of it, if anyone who knows me reads this, it's pretty obvious who I am ) But its not a question, though I can easily turn it into one if I need to..

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 20, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.