The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2480
Thankyou x
Reply 2481
Had my first lesson today, have to come with a title and a plan by next week :s-smilie: Thinking of doing something along the lines of the chemistry behind fireworks. I've found a method of making a sparkler and a firecracker, but I don't know if the Chem department would let me do it :redface:
Original post by AmyLH
Had my first lesson today, have to come with a title and a plan by next week :s-smilie: Thinking of doing something along the lines of the chemistry behind fireworks. I've found a method of making a sparkler and a firecracker, but I don't know if the Chem department would let me do it :redface:

I've just finished mine haha, when is your deadline?
Handing in my final artifact, essay and production log in next Thursday! It was a lot of stress (especially presenting it) but worth it in the end :smile:
Hello people,

Please take part in this quick poll on TSR about the food hygiene rating system! http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1910618

It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 2485
Original post by splendidsun
I've just finished mine haha, when is your deadline?

Haven't been given one yet :s-smilie: Wasn't our real teacher we had though, just a cover.
My essay is about discussing the extent to which the Enlightenment influenced the French Revolution. I was just wondering if we were supposed to comment on how we carried out our research/what sources we used in the report, or if we just write an essay discussing the title, obviously referencing sources etc, but not writing about why we chose them?

I have a feeling that that question doesn't make sense...
Original post by mangoh
Do you have to have a question or could you just basically write something like "company name" as title and then write a history of a specific company?

Also I'm confused what do you need to do... i.e. 1000 words or 5000 with what?

CONFUSED!

Teachers are clueless tbf

Your topic should either be an argumentative question or an artefact, that doesn't necessarily need to be a question. So for a company you could question how it became powerful or something to that nature. The 5000 words are you answering that question using many different resources and also giving your own opinion.
The 1000 words is if you do an artefact, that would be a review of what you've done.
Original post by FallenMan
Your topic should either be an argumentative question or an artefact, that doesn't necessarily need to be a question. So for a company you could question how it became powerful or something to that nature. The 5000 words are you answering that question using many different resources and also giving your own opinion.

Actually, that's not strictly true; I did mine on how stars evolve, and it was purely an informative piece, nothing up for argument in there.
Hi all,

I'm hoping to study PPE (perhaps at Oxford) however I'm not doing a maths AS level which I figure is going to put me at a disadvantage.

I was thinking of perhaps doing an extended project focusing on a very maths-y part of economics so I can demonstrate on my PS and at interviews I'm able to cope with the maths part of economics.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of what I could do it on? Something that will interest me in terms of economics but demonstrate my ability to do fairly complicated maths.
Reply 2490
Original post by TheatreLovely
My essay is about discussing the extent to which the Enlightenment influenced the French Revolution. I was just wondering if we were supposed to comment on how we carried out our research/what sources we used in the report, or if we just write an essay discussing the title, obviously referencing sources etc, but not writing about why we chose them?

I know what you mean, I'm writing about the London Riots and I'm pretty much doing your typical bog-standard essay. I'm intending to say where I got my sources from and why I'm using them but I was never planning on writing about how I carried out my research. I always thought that was for the production log and presentation at the end...

However, I guess that's the thing with the EPQ, you can do it how you want it really.
Original post by mangoh
so 1000 words is needed if you have made an artefact

5000 words is needed if you don't have an artefact

Where does a presentation fit into this?

Yup pretty much!

You do a presentation near the end of you present in front of your class. This consists of why you picked the topic, what you found out, what you would do differently, what went well. It's basically just putting what you did into a 10 minute presentation.
It seems nerve wracking but I did it last year and again this year and it's fine!
Original post by TenaciousMonkey
Actually, that's not strictly true; I did mine on how stars evolve, and it was purely an informative piece, nothing up for argument in there.

Ah, right, I guess some places are different then, some people's got sent back because it was too broad and we were constantly told it need to be a debate of sorts.
Original post by mangoh
Thanks for clearing this up.

LOL you should teach EPQ

You know more than my teachers.

I ain't nervous about the presentation as I am brillant.

#TooGood

What's the purpose of the presentation, what does the examiners see?
Just the opinions of the teachers, or.... is there more like we have to print off handouts and attach that to the project?/

Explain in more detail if possible.

Thanks
From the amazing mangoh (said in context but pure factual)

Your teachers, when watching your presentation, are looking to see what your piece was, how you organised research and also how well you overall understood it. (This can be seen when you ask for any questions, you answer the questions well it shows you have understood your topic).
Once you have done your presentation, PRINT OUT THE SLIDES AND SCRIPT and either give it to your teacher or put it in with your essay, with it clearly labeled that it is your presentation. This is so the examiner can not only see what the teacher thinks, but see for themselves. And if it fits into your topic, making handouts and putting that with your work is great.
Ok, um...HELP.

Being the extremely organised person that I am, I have left my EPQ until now, and the deadline is next month. I have no idea what I'm doing. However, I do have an idea; could I research into a topic, write a short story, and then a 1000 word report talking about my story and how it relates to the research I did? I'm thinking of writing maybe a diary from the point of view of somebody with some sort of mental illness...
Hello :smile:

Urgently need some help!!

I have to finish my first draft of my Extended Project by Wednesday. But I'm a little uncertain what I should be writing. I've done all my research etc etc.

Do I just write a 5,000 essay of what I've learnt, or do I need to include in my essay how I carried out my research/an evaluation of my sources etc?
Original post by TheatreLovely

This is exactly what I want to know.
The deadline is at the end of March. I haven't done anything. I've had a few ideas but they've all turned out to be unsuccessful. I know someone who did it in 2 weeks and got a C so I'm hoping if I get cracking I can get something decent together and, well, not fail. Could I do research into a mental illness, then do a creative writing piece, for example the diary of a person with said illness? So that's a creative thing so the report has to be 1000 words, right? My mum has just found out I'm not attending lessons so I'm in deep **** basically if I can't come up with something soon...so is this idea ok?
(edited 12 years ago)
Please please please someone tell me if this is ok to do for an extended project? Or else, is there something that I can do in a short space of time?
Or maybe like research into some sort of mythical creature and it's history in culture as my 1000 report along with my creative writing project about something related??? I'm desperate, please someone help and tell me if this is ok!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending