The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nellythehuffy
The deadline is at the end of March. I haven't done anything. I've had a few ideas but they've all turned out to be unsuccessful. I know someone who did it in 2 weeks and got a C so I'm hoping if I get cracking I can get something decent together and, well, not fail. Could I do research into a mental illness, then do a creative writing piece, for example the diary of a person with said illness? So that's a creative thing so the report has to be 1000 words, right? My mum has just found out I'm not attending lessons so I'm in deep **** basically if I can't come up with something soon...so is this idea ok?

Always remember to talk to a teacher and see if it's all ok, but this sounds like a potentially good topic. Why not try taking it one step further?

Do the diary entries, talk about drugs that "you" could have been taking, how it effects "you". Also, do some drawings? You could do the diary entries on separate pieces of paper, then on another, analyse what that person may be thinking, from a psychological point of view, using studies and also film references? There are hundreds of films that have mental illness in them, go to your nearest library and look for a book "Movies and Mental Illness" By someone like Boyd? Has LOADS of examples and is really good to use.
Original post by FallenMan
Always remember to talk to a teacher and see if it's all ok, but this sounds like a potentially good topic. Why not try taking it one step further?

Do the diary entries, talk about drugs that "you" could have been taking, how it effects "you". Also, do some drawings? You could do the diary entries on separate pieces of paper, then on another, analyse what that person may be thinking, from a psychological point of view, using studies and also film references? There are hundreds of films that have mental illness in them, go to your nearest library and look for a book "Movies and Mental Illness" By someone like Boyd? Has LOADS of examples and is really good to use.

That sounds excellent, thank you SO much for your contribution!
So I've applied to 4 universities, and been rejected from two of them. I'll hear from another in the next week or two, and then from my last university probably before the end of March.

I've decided that I no longer want to do the EPQ qualification.How do I drop out, how will universities see this, can they rescind offers on the basis of it, and when should I notify them;

pre-decision, so it'll be more honest but I'll be slightly disadvantaged, as I've talked about it on my PS and it's on my reference/UCAS,

or after they've replied to me, hopefully with an offer, where as it's not part of the offer, what can they do?
I expect a university could remove your offer because they might have used the EPQ to distinguish you from another strong applicant.
If you drop out and don't tell them your UCAS application is no longer valid as the information is incorrect. As a result, universities COULD rescind offers if they so chose, regardless of whether or not they include the EPQ grade in the offer.
A better option would be to just continue with the EPQ, whack out a rubbish one and submit that, even if you get a U it still counts as complete and all you've promised on UCAS is that you're intending to do one, not intending to do well.
Original post by Straight up G
So I've applied to 4 universities, and been rejected from two of them. I'll hear from another in the next week or two, and then from my last university probably before the end of March.

I've decided that I no longer want to do the EPQ qualification.How do I drop out, how will universities see this, can they rescind offers on the basis of it, and when should I notify them;

pre-decision, so it'll be more honest but I'll be slightly disadvantaged, as I've talked about it on my PS and it's on my reference/UCAS,

or after they've replied to me, hopefully with an offer, where as it's not part of the offer, what can they do?

They can withdraw the offer due to false info on the UCAS form, but if you ask them once you have obtained an offer if you can drop the EPQ they are likely to be okay with it if you already have 4 subjects or other academic merits on your application.
I had intended to do an EPQ but the school didn't proceed with it. It didn't affect my offer. To be on the safe side, phone the Admissions Depts and inform them.
Finally handed in my completed EPQ on Friday just before half term started. SUCH a relief! :smile:
Original post by Banoffeepie16
Finally handed in my completed EPQ on Friday just before half term started. SUCH a relief! :smile:

Hey :smile: Congrats on the Oxford offer! I'm trying to write my EPQ first draft now. In your essay, did you sort of summarise what you'd learnt or did you include in it your planning/ research stages/ evaluate your research? I'm very confused - my school hasn't done it before and I haven't seen any examples.
Original post by Kalliope
Hey :smile: Congrats on the Oxford offer! I'm trying to write my EPQ first draft now. In your essay, did you sort of summarise what you'd learnt or did you include in it your planning/ research stages/ evaluate your research? I'm very confused - my school hasn't done it before and I haven't seen any examples.

Hi, thank you! :smile:

Well, I started with an abstract in which I talked about my motivations for the project and how I did my research, with a bit about what I'd learnt etc.
I had an evaluation at the end, also- I think this is expected of all EPQs but I'm not sure. If you have an EPQ log, then you should already have some of that in there, but it can't hurt to throw some into the abstract.

I used the conclusion part of my essay to summarise what I'd learnt in terms of the project content, but the abstract to summarise what I'd learnt in terms of skills in research and gathering sources. Does that make sense? :tongue:
I recently posted a thread about not knowing what to do my EPQ on, I eventually decided to focus on Shinto-Buddhism in Japan. However, I recently talked to my teacher and she commented that it was far too vague and that I should find something more specific to focus on.
I can think of a single thing ... could someone please help me think of a focus, my mid-project review's coming up and i've done very little!

Thanks.
Why not do something like.

'The effect on Shintoism of the introduction of Buddhism to Japan'

or

'How important is national religion in modern Japanese life'

or

'To what extent does tradition still play a part in Japanese Society'

It's a really interesting subject area. But you need a title you can evaluate accurately but still pull in background knowledge to plump up the wordcount.
I'm still totally stuck for mine. Literally done nothing and have been avoiding the teacher and lesson for the past month, as my philosophy is the longer you can put something off and avoid it, the better...am thinking I should just drop it if possible, looks better not having an EPQ than having failed one. Unless there's some really simple crappy rushed something I can do and get like a D or an E in? Sigh. My life is falling apart before my very eyes.
Original post by Slovebeach
If you drop out and don't tell them your UCAS application is no longer valid as the information is incorrect. As a result, universities COULD rescind offers if they so chose, regardless of whether or not they include the EPQ grade in the offer.
A better option would be to just continue with the EPQ, whack out a rubbish one and submit that, even if you get a U it still counts as complete and all you've promised on UCAS is that you're intending to do one, not intending to do well.

Any advice on "whacking out a rubbish one"?
Mines 'A history of tattooing: the reasons people get them and the significance'
:smile:
I have finally managed to finish filming and editing my short film! Feels so good to hold the disk!
Original post by technocolourpixie
Mines 'A history of tattooing: the reasons people get them and the significance'
:smile:

Oooo, that sounds quite interesting :smile:
Reply 2517
This could potentially be in the EPQ giant thread thing but I wouldn't get as many responses, oh well...
Okay,
I cant seem to get started into my EPQ, i have a plan but the words just wont come out, im trying to get it all sophisticated/historian like, because my EPQ is a history based subject.
So any advice for the start...?
Are the marks all allocated for content or does some of it compromise language and grammar...?
How ARE the marks allocated for the project itself...?
Reply 2518
So i'm doing an artefact on an information leaflet aimed at secondary school children about the United Nations

I've done that!

But then my supervisor asked me to do one on the IMF.

How much of a range of sources do you need? All I have is internet websites and 1 book. Where else should I look?
Has anyone got photos/links/etc of their completed or in-progress EPQ for the artifact?
I'm really curious to the amount I am expected to create in like 80 hours.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending