• View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    61.18%
    not helpful
    38.82%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Straight up G)
    So I've applied to 4 universities, and been rejected from two of them. I'll hear from another in the next week or two, and then from my last university probably before the end of March.

I've decided that I no longer want to do the EPQ qualification.How do I drop out, how will universities see this, can they rescind offers on the basis of it, and when should I notify them;

pre-decision, so it'll be more honest but I'll be slightly disadvantaged, as I've talked about it on my PS and it's on my reference/UCAS,

or after they've replied to me, hopefully with an offer, where as it's not part of the offer, what can they do?
    They can withdraw the offer due to false info on the UCAS form, but if you ask them once you have obtained an offer if you can drop the EPQ they are likely to be okay with it if you already have 4 subjects or other academic merits on your application.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I had intended to do an EPQ but the school didn't proceed with it. It didn't affect my offer. To be on the safe side, phone the Admissions Depts and inform them.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    Finally handed in my completed EPQ on Friday just before half term started. SUCH a relief!
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banoffeepie16)
    Finally handed in my completed EPQ on Friday just before half term started. SUCH a relief!
    Hey Congrats on the Oxford offer! I'm trying to write my EPQ first draft now. In your essay, did you sort of summarise what you'd learnt or did you include in it your planning/ research stages/ evaluate your research? I'm very confused - my school hasn't done it before and I haven't seen any examples.
    • 12 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kalliope)
    Hey Congrats on the Oxford offer! I'm trying to write my EPQ first draft now. In your essay, did you sort of summarise what you'd learnt or did you include in it your planning/ research stages/ evaluate your research? I'm very confused - my school hasn't done it before and I haven't seen any examples.
    Hi, thank you!

Well, I started with an abstract in which I talked about my motivations for the project and how I did my research, with a bit about what I'd learnt etc.
    I had an evaluation at the end, also- I think this is expected of all EPQs but I'm not sure. If you have an EPQ log, then you should already have some of that in there, but it can't hurt to throw some into the abstract.

I used the conclusion part of my essay to summarise what I'd learnt in terms of the project content, but the abstract to summarise what I'd learnt in terms of skills in research and gathering sources. Does that make sense?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I recently posted a thread about not knowing what to do my EPQ on, I eventually decided to focus on Shinto-Buddhism in Japan. However, I recently talked to my teacher and she commented that it was far too vague and that I should find something more specific to focus on.
    I can think of a single thing ... could someone please help me think of a focus, my mid-project review's coming up and i've done very little!

Thanks.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Why not do something like.

'The effect on Shintoism of the introduction of Buddhism to Japan'

or

'How important is national religion in modern Japanese life'

or

'To what extent does tradition still play a part in Japanese Society'

It's a really interesting subject area. But you need a title you can evaluate accurately but still pull in background knowledge to plump up the wordcount.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm still totally stuck for mine. Literally done nothing and have been avoiding the teacher and lesson for the past month, as my philosophy is the longer you can put something off and avoid it, the better...am thinking I should just drop it if possible, looks better not having an EPQ than having failed one. Unless there's some really simple crappy rushed something I can do and get like a D or an E in? Sigh. My life is falling apart before my very eyes.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slovebeach)
    If you drop out and don't tell them your UCAS application is no longer valid as the information is incorrect. As a result, universities COULD rescind offers if they so chose, regardless of whether or not they include the EPQ grade in the offer.
    A better option would be to just continue with the EPQ, whack out a rubbish one and submit that, even if you get a U it still counts as complete and all you've promised on UCAS is that you're intending to do one, not intending to do well.
    Any advice on "whacking out a rubbish one"?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Mines 'A history of tattooing: the reasons people get them and the significance'
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I have finally managed to finish filming and editing my short film! Feels so good to hold the disk!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technocolourpixie)
    Mines 'A history of tattooing: the reasons people get them and the significance'
    Oooo, that sounds quite interesting
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    This could potentially be in the EPQ giant thread thing but I wouldn't get as many responses, oh well...
    Okay,
    I cant seem to get started into my EPQ, i have a plan but the words just wont come out, im trying to get it all sophisticated/historian like, because my EPQ is a history based subject.
    So any advice for the start...?
    Are the marks all allocated for content or does some of it compromise language and grammar...?
    How ARE the marks allocated for the project itself...?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    So i'm doing an artefact on an information leaflet aimed at secondary school children about the United Nations

I've done that!

But then my supervisor asked me to do one on the IMF.

How much of a range of sources do you need? All I have is internet websites and 1 book. Where else should I look?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got photos/links/etc of their completed or in-progress EPQ for the artifact?
    I'm really curious to the amount I am expected to create in like 80 hours.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I have to do my presentation this week,
    then I've got the abstract and conclusion and it's done! mines on
    "the usefulness of offender profiling in aiding the capture and conviction of criminals"
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    Has anyone got photos/links/etc of their completed or in-progress EPQ for the artifact?
    I'm really curious to the amount I am expected to create in like 80 hours.
    My artefact was quite simply my film which I put onto a disc and also YouTube, but to add to it I printed out a DVD cover which had images and short credits on the back etc.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what exam board I am with but I am doing level 2 Dissertation EPQ, and I have no idea what I am doing. My title/question is Do horror films have negative effects on people. But I am nearly at the stage of writing it up and I have no idea what I am doing, I have asked teachers for help but they are no use. Does anyone know where a mark scheme is because I can't find one anywhere. How do you get marks, how much research are you supposed to do?

Any other information would be greatly appreciated. :confused:
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenMan)
    My artefact was quite simply my film which I put onto a disc and also YouTube, but to add to it I printed out a DVD cover which had images and short credits on the back etc.
    that's so groovy, is it still on youtube?
    I would really like to see it ^^ the only example i've seen is the recycled jewelry.....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissNoface)
    that's so groovy, is it still on youtube?
    I would really like to see it ^^ the only example i've seen is the recycled jewelry.....
    Yup as I literally just completed it all but due to some rough times I had about 2 weeks to do it, so not as good as I had hoped http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgXaM...EkPD5ncu6cgfk- but I hope I will get more marks for the DVD case and such. I know someone who made a magazine and another guy that did a horrror exhibition and did a HUGE portfolio on research and such, the artifact really can be any size, it just depends how well it's done, mine seemed a lot smaller compared to his!
    What was yours on?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 26, 2014
New on TSR

Strictly iPlayer

Will you still watch if some BBC programmes go online only?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.