Announcements Posted on
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    60.88%
    not helpful
    39.12%

• 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Because I requested it late, I'm going to be entered for the EPQ during the A2 cycle (I'm AS at the moment), so I'll probably finish working on it this summer.

Is there any point in my mentioning of it in my Personal Statement (beginning of A2) if it hasn't been marked yet?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniacramblings)
    Because I requested it late, I'm going to be entered for the EPQ during the A2 cycle (I'm AS at the moment), so I'll probably finish working on it this summer.

Is there any point in my mentioning of it in my Personal Statement (beginning of A2) if it hasn't been marked yet?
    you should mention it in your p.s especially because it takes so long to write!!!! i mentioned it in mine and i hadn't been given the mark for it actually i still don't have the mark for it. I think it will help because the unis can see you capable of doing things outside of the curriculum with very little support.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coffee123)
    I'm thinking of doing the EPQ; however I am struggling to come up with a decent question/investigation.

At uni, I'm thinking of studying law and I want to base my EPQ around science and law, so possibly ethics.

However, I don't know what question to study.
    i don't know much about law etc. but how about something to do with punishment for crimes over a certain time period, you could mention ethics in that
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laura_93)
    you should mention it in your p.s especially because it takes so long to write!!!! i mentioned it in mine and i hadn't been given the mark for it actually i still don't have the mark for it. I think it will help because the unis can see you capable of doing things outside of the curriculum with very little support.
    You're right. Especially if it's related to the course you want to take on!

Did you apply for 2012 entry?
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    so I'm putting together my final report now and it's 21 pages already without the project log and presentation slides, wow haha
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking a gap year where I'll be working most of the time, however I would have loved to have the opportunity to do an Extended Project, as I haven't been able to whilst doing a levels. I know you can do A levels on your own, but how about EPQ? You usually need a supervisor so I've heard. Thoughts anyone?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    I'm taking a gap year where I'll be working most of the time, however I would have loved to have the opportunity to do an Extended Project, as I haven't been able to whilst doing a levels. I know you can do A levels on your own, but how about EPQ? You usually need a supervisor so I've heard. Thoughts anyone?
    I very much doubt it is possible/allowed as you would not be sufficiently supervised for the work to be authenticated as yours.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    So for the record of initial planning can I simply put in a timeline of what I found/done on "Your first ideas of research and development of your project"

For example
    development
    16/3/12- Created a spider diagram based on antibiotic resistances, this helped me enable me to identify topics that I can write and research about it bla bla bla...*insert spider diagram*.
    • 15 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NoSpeakNewSpeak)
    I think it depends what you are doing for your gap year. If you are staying close to your school/college then you may be able to ask a teacher there to be your supervisor. However it will require quite a lot of time for them, so they are unlikely to want to do it if they haven't had the experience before, so possibly only if it is an option where you used to study. But I think one main ******* would be the presentation part, I did mine with everyone else in my year who was doing the EPQ, so it was all organised, if your alone doing this it might be more difficult.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I HATE DOING EPQ!!!
    I am so far behind and mine is in for next month. I am doing it on the popularity of Harry Potter and whether it will continue. I don't think I will get it done in time!
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing an EPQ- extended academic essay. But I don't have a clue what paper work is required to go with this. What paperwork is needed? and what does it involve?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm so happy - essays in, presentations done, log books completed and it should all be getting marked this weekend.

LETS PAAAAARTAY!!!!!!!
    :party:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coodooloo)
    I'm doing an EPQ- extended academic essay. But I don't have a clue what paper work is required to go with this. What paperwork is needed? and what does it involve?
    You should get a log book to go with your work. Is basically is an almost diary which you complete after each meeting with your epq supervisor - so stuff like what you had done before the meeting, any comments from the supervisor and then any changes/clarifications you have made. You also have to write a reflection at the end and an initial idea thing at the beginning. It is all fairly straight forward but I recommend that you do it as you go along as it is really easy to forget the things that you have done if you leave it all to the end. Also, its much easier to do a half hour about the time of each meeting than have to spend three or fours on it right at the end.

Good Luck
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angelicus)
    You should get a log book to go with your work. Is basically is an almost diary which you complete after each meeting with your epq supervisor - so stuff like what you had done before the meeting, any comments from the supervisor and then any changes/clarifications you have made. You also have to write a reflection at the end and an initial idea thing at the beginning. It is all fairly straight forward but I recommend that you do it as you go along as it is really easy to forget the things that you have done if you leave it all to the end. Also, its much easier to do a half hour about the time of each meeting than have to spend three or fours on it right at the end.

Good Luck
    Ok thank you for your response.
    In regards to the presentation, what is it supposed to be about - is it actually presenting the findings of the essay, or is it the methods used to research?
    I was also wondering whether the supervisors judge the essay in relationto particular boundaries or assessment criteria? (e.g: ao1, ao2 etc).

Thanks again
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Any suggestions on how to choose an EPQ title?
    I am studying drama, media studies and English Lit.
    Would love to choose something creative, maybe to link to my YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/user/HisLittleEmo) or written based.
    Any ideas welcome thank you
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coodooloo)
    Ok thank you for your response.
    In regards to the presentation, what is it supposed to be about - is it actually presenting the findings of the essay, or is it the methods used to research?
    I was also wondering whether the supervisors judge the essay in relationto particular boundaries or assessment criteria? (e.g: ao1, ao2 etc).

Thanks again
    Its a bit of both actually. When we did the presentations most people started off with a bit about why they chose that topic, then went on to present their findings - I basically just went through it the way I had split it up in my essay. Then most people did a few slides at the end going over what they had done well, what could be improved and what they might look at in the future. I think some people did go into what research they had used, especially if they had done primary research such as questionnaires etc. but I didn't personally.

This is the mark scheme (at least for the AQA EPQ) which you can find here - http://www.aqa.org.uk/qualifications...epq-assessment As you can see its very generic but it should give you a few pointers. I'd really recommend looking the AQA section about EPQ over in general as there are quite a few good pointers which you might find helpful.

A01 Manage - 20% of marks
    Identify, design, plan, and carry out a project, applying a range of skills, strategies and methods to achieve objectives.

AO2 Use Resources - 20% of marks
    Research, critically select, organise and use information, and select and use a range of resources. Analyse data, apply it relevantly and demonstrate understanding of any links, connections and complexities of the topic.

AO3 Develop and Realise - 40% of marks
    Select and use a range of skills, including, where appropriate, new technologies and ******* solving, to take decisions critically and achieve planned outcomes.

AO4 Review - 20% of marks
    Evaluate all aspects of the extended project, including how outcomes relate to stated objectives and own learning and performance. Select and use a range of communication skills and media, in an appropriate format, to present evidence of project outcomes and conclusions.

As you can see, a lot of AO1 and AO4 is judged on your log book which is why its so important that its not rushed and of a pretty high quality.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if people would be kind enough to leave a comment on my video for my extended project music video just telling me any constructive criticism or responses (good/bad, what could be improved etc) If you can't be bothered to leave a comment then a like / dislike would be much appreciated too

It's really bad but... yeah any comments would be really nice!

The link's here if it doesn't embed properly: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmWYZc2HK9U
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N0body)
    So for the record of initial planning can I simply put in a timeline of what I found/done on "Your first ideas of research and development of your project"

For example
    development
    16/3/12- Created a spider diagram based on antibiotic resistances, this helped me enable me to identify topics that I can write and research about it bla bla bla...*insert spider diagram*.
    Did we have to be that specific? i.e:spider diagram etc. I just noted what I intended to research and how (books, journals etc) That's all the title says: "Your ideas for research and development of your project"

Have people been this specific on the Planning Review and Project Reviews also????
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Im struggling on the planning review section. What am I exactly supposed to write here "Outline the next steps in your planned research/initial development".
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathmoynihan)
    Did we have to be that specific? i.e:spider diagram etc. I just noted what I intended to research and how (books, journals etc) That's all the title says: "Your ideas for research and development of your project"

Have people been this specific on the Planning Review and Project Reviews also????
    What did you talk about for the planning review section ?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 28, 2014
New on TSR

Moving on from GCSEs

What advice would you give someone starting A-levels?

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.