Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ultimate EPQ thread

Announcements Posted on
Live webchat: Myths and facts on Student Finance - on TSR from 2pm! 15-09-2014
Got a question about Student Finance? Ask the experts this week on TSR! 14-09-2014
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    61.29%
    not helpful
    38.71%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    hey, how much work is the epq? I'm not sure if I should take it
    Quite simply, it is a lot of work. But trust me, if you really are passionate about the topic you pick, then it will fly by.
    I always hear of how people moan about EPQ and they don't even care about what they did the project on-yet I was really passionate about BOTH of my EPQ's, and thus it was a lot of work-but I enjoyed it and I managed to do everything on time. Evaluate if you want to spend extra time outside of college exploring a subject, and if so, then doing it will be a reward.

Good luck
    • 28 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenMan)
    Quite simply, it is a lot of work. But trust me, if you really are passionate about the topic you pick, then it will fly by.
    I always hear of how people moan about EPQ and they don't even care about what they did the project on-yet I was really passionate about BOTH of my EPQ's, and thus it was a lot of work-but I enjoyed it and I managed to do everything on time. Evaluate if you want to spend extra time outside of college exploring a subject, and if so, then doing it will be a reward.

Good luck
    you did two? ahh wow well done! what were they on?
    thanks for the advice
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AishaTara)
    you did two? ahh wow well done! what were they on?
    thanks for the advice
    Yup, one in each year of college.

My first one was on how the horror movie genre has evolved, and the second one I made a short film and looked at how tutting it on YouTube and social networking sites is how small films get audiences (a focus in my presentation). Because I love films, the EPQ was a lot easier to do, but ours was due in near January exams..so people weren't as focused on it
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am doing an EPQ on the ethics of stem cell research and I really need good sources to research because the one's I found kept repeating the same points over and over again in different words so now I am struggling to write a 5000 word dessertation.
    I am enjoying doing my project but its just that I am not finding enough information to write 5000 word on it so please help me if you can.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    is there anyone who would be willing to post their EPQ, as I have no idea of the standard which is expected. Unfortunately we have been given minimal information at school and I would really appreciate viewing just how much is involved in the extended project.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    At our college everyone has to do an EPQ. The first day back after half term we have a tutor meeting about EPQ topics and how to start. I have no idea what i want to do. How are you meant to write 5000 words on one narrow question?!
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mojojojo)
    At our college everyone has to do an EPQ. The first day back after half term we have a tutor meeting about EPQ topics and how to start. I have no idea what i want to do. How are you meant to write 5000 words on one narrow question?!
    It maybe a narrow question but the idea is that you research around the topic and then bring your ideas together. At least, that is my interpretation and my strategy.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Starting mine now I have finished all my AS exams, doing it on The Leveson Inquiry, specifically about whether we should have a self regulating press or not.. Looking forward to it!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I want to complete my EPQ this summer or at least until Sep/Oct and am in the process of choosing a topic. I am planning to read Law at university and was thinking of a question that links morality with law, societies and how the law is representative of the people that made it and reflects their attitudes. I was also thinking of writing about how law changed through the years and the role it plays in a society....

Any ideas? Unfortunately that is all that I can think of at the moment :confused:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting my EPQ now, though the summer holidays unofficially since exams are all done and because of this I'm confused about the parts of the EPQ that require a supervisor/validator. I'm trying to finish the majority of the work on the EPQ over the next 3 months before we get back for A2, in order to avoid being distracted during term. How would I get the discussions/reviews of the various stages done (and, more importantly, on the log) if I'm doing it in the holidays when college isn't even open? Thanks in advance.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    so im doing the EPQ on medical treatments vs talking treatments and i would like some advice on where i can get my research from and how i can get hold of them, please can anyone give me some ideas urgently, it will be much aprreciated, thnks
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S_123)
    Do you know what he/she has given you? Could you negotiate it?
    How exactly does the supervisor's marking influence the exam board's? I hadn't read of this before...
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Im starting the extended project this summer and was really struggling to decide what to do...
    I currently study biology,chemistry,maths and physics but will be dropping physics next year!!!
    I would like to study pharmacy at uni so would like to do something involving it.
    I was looking into autoimmune diseases and alzeimer's but can't think of anything more specific..
    Any idea's would really be appreciated
    Thanks in advance
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to do law at Uni but I have a high interest in Greek Mythology and other mythologies. Would any of these be good for an EPQ?

Influence of Ancient Greek Religion on the Laws of Ancient Greek society.

Significance of Ancient Mythology on modern day law.

Please suggest any that may be better for more meaty.
    • 19 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dust.)
    I want to do law at Uni but I have a high interest in Greek Mythology and other mythologies. Would any of these be good for an EPQ?

Influence of Ancient Greek Religion on the Laws of Ancient Greek society.

Significance of Ancient Mythology on modern day law.

Please suggest any that may be better for more meaty.
    I would say that is quite an in-depth and complex subject to look at so any long piece of writing on it would be quite well taken by a university. Assuming you have the predicted grades (I really don't know anything about the law route but guessing its the same) for your course go for it!
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insomniacramblings)
    How exactly does the supervisor's marking influence the exam board's? I hadn't read of this before...
    I assumed it was the same as, say, English coursework. Your teacher marks it and then it gets sent to the exam board and you usually get the same mark your teacher gave you unless they were unreasonably nice/harsh with their marking. So I think the mark you get from your supervisor is the one you will get from the exam board unless your supervisor has made a mistake with the marking.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I have a question. I finished my EPQ on the extent to which homosexuality is accepted in the UK at about 7,100 words when fully edited and complete. I spoke to my teacher who said this was fine and I noted they said this in my Project Log. It's been sent off to be marked. My problem's the opposite of others - I had to edit down about 9,000 words as much as possible to try and get closer to 5,000. Will being over 2,000 words over the word count affect my grade? Or is that just a recommended word count?

Thank you.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eelnais)
    Hey, I have a question. I finished my EPQ on the extent to which homosexuality is accepted in the UK at about 7,100 words when fully edited and complete. I spoke to my teacher who said this was fine and I noted they said this in my Project Log. It's been sent off to be marked. My problem's the opposite of others - I had to edit down about 9,000 words as much as possible to try and get closer to 5,000. Will being over 2,000 words over the word count affect my grade? Or is that just a recommended word count?

Thank you.
    I don't think it's a problem. If your teacher said it was fine, then it should be ok. In my college, someone wrote 24,000 words and is on track for a high grade, so I expect 7,100 will be fine.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm having some trouble with the question/title focusing on Political Philosophy, but can't get it right. How to phrase a question relating to Plato's criticism of democracy?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any thoughts for an English Literature orientated EPQ? Trying to think of ideas, help would be really appreciated :kiss:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 16, 2014
New on TSR

Writing your personal statement

Our free PS builder tool makes it easy

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.