Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
  • View Poll Results: was this ?
    helpful
    60.44%
    not helpful
    39.56%

• 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I was told that the presentation was simply a way for the Supervisor/Co-ordinator to see what you did. I went all the way though, automated slides and handouts! Worth the A*
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by allyz04)
    Is there anyone out there with an A or A* grade initial planning example they could send me?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    I used this - http://store.aqa.org.uk/over/pdf/AQA...B-SAMPLE36.PDF
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would this question be appropriate? Since it isn't a 'To what extent' type question...:

"What is the likely future of global energy supply?" or something along those lines. I'd go through all the major sources of energy, critically analysing them (obviously using secondary sources) and coming to a conclusion; one which likely won't be based around one particular thing. There would be more depth than I'm making this sound, obviously. But as the bare bones, does this sound alright?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordFishlock)
    Back again, anyone know anything on these two guys? Avicenna and Des Cartes. Need to know who people think is a more modernly recognised philosopher?
    Descartes is one of the most famous recent philosophers.
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    Would this question be appropriate? Since it isn't a 'To what extent' type question...:

"What is the likely future of global energy supply?" or something along those lines. I'd go through all the major sources of energy, critically analysing them (obviously using secondary sources) and coming to a conclusion; one which likely won't be based around one particular thing. There would be more depth than I'm making this sound, obviously. But as the bare bones, does this sound alright?
    To what extent are great titles as they allow plenty of evaluation to get the nice juicy marks and you can justify you conclusions wherever they are depending on the analysis and synthesis you have done. It certainly allows you more depth and range to hit the better parts of the mark schemes than a simple yes/no or mere analysis title.

also ^5 for also doing about global energy ^_^
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silverland)
    To what extent are great titles as they allow plenty of evaluation to get the nice juicy marks and you can justify you conclusions wherever they are depending on the analysis and synthesis you have done. It certainly allows you more depth and range to hit the better parts of the mark schemes than a simple yes/no or mere analysis title.

also ^5 for also doing about global energy ^_^
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. Did you do an EPQ about energy?

I'm just a bit unsure of how to create a qusetion with similar content with a 'to what extent' title. I'll have to think about it I guess.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    When you're sourcing for the EPQ do you have to find the direct source? There's a site that would be trusted to have correct information, but doesn't source exactly how it knows a particular statistic.
    • 55 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bulbasaur)
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing that. Did you do an EPQ about energy?

I'm just a bit unsure of how to create a qusetion with similar content with a 'to what extent' title. I'll have to think about it I guess.
    still finishing mine. "To what extent is CCS a feasible and effective form of carbon dioxide abatement in China, relative to hydroelectric power, whilst still meeting China's growing energy demands"

so yeah =p
    I have a lot of neato sources (especially from the international energy agency which I recommend) but I think they're quiet specific to the global warming side of energy rather and CS and HEP than energy in general
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Since I love writing and I'm pretty confident at writing dark and descriptive things, I thought about doing a short story on the topic of abuse since it's always been such a controversial issue.
    THEN I saw what I was up against with all these fantastic dissertations and thought "Hell no, I cannot do that to save my life".
    SO then I figured, since you love researching, why not research the psychological aspects of abuse i.e. why, how, factual information etc. etc.
    How on earth would I link that to a piece of short story writing?
    In my EPQ summer starter booklet, it said that your chosen subject doesn't necessarily have to fall under one of the 4 categories i.e. dissertation, report/investigation, an artefact, or perfomance/production.

I want my end product to be something meaningful not just a morbid and depressing piece of fiction. Only problem is I don't know how to mix fact with fiction. :confused:

Thanks to anybody out there who can give me much-needed advice!
    You're awesome!
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I want to do an EPQ on belief in the paranormal, but have no idea how to do this! Can anyone help?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone - what topics are you thinking of doing for an EPQ

I'm not sure yet but am hoping to do something about belief in the paranormal
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to do my EPQ on how the Renaissance period has influenced contemporary Art and perhaps write about the origins of the period too
    Yours sounds very interesting!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    That's a good one!
    Just make sure that in your research, you are actually able to come up with a conclusion, since that's a key requirement of an EPQ.
    Can you maybe look at previous studies, and see whether they've managed to find anything out for sure?

The other thing is that your question must be specific.
    You don't need to know what it is from the start, but in the end you must pin things down to one definite line of research.
    So maybe think, is there anything particular about such things that you want to find out?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain to me how it's actually graded? The M/S on the AQA website seems somewhat vague and subjective and looking at exemplar logs, I can't differentiate substantially between a Grade E and a Grade A* log. How is the product itself marked etc?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Argh ignore didn't read your post properly
    This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I changed my title a total of 5 times when I was writing my EPQ. I think it's fine to change during the process of research and writing, even if you've signed it, as long as you haven't actually finished and submitted it. You should ask your project supervisor though, just to make sure.
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. I changed mine about a gazillion times!
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.cookie.monster)
    Yeah I've changed like 3/4 times already, but my point is that I've already had my projected signed off by my supervisor and the other person, so in my log book my planning review already has my plan for my current project. Can all of this just be rewritten/edited out later or not?
    As your project goes on you get like mid-project reviews and end of project reviews where you can change your title officially.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my AS levels and will be starting to apply for Uni in September. One of my teachers has recommended that I do EPQ in order to enhance my application as I don't have much to write on my personal statement apart from enrichment etc. I'm thinking of applying for either law, journalism or education so would a project based on these topics help? I am predicted mostly As (obviously doesn't mean I'll get them though) so is it worth it? Is it actually valuable?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Has anybody done an EPQ based on teaching? How did that turn out?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: April 18, 2014
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.