The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Is EPQ counted as a proper AS? I know some unis exclude subjects like general studies/critical thinking, is EPQ treated the same as those types of subjects or not? It doesn't say so on UCAS but just checking :colondollar:

it's just because some I'm going to apply to prefer 3.5, and I've only got 3. So if I did EPQ alongside my A2s, I'd be counted as having 3.5 (I think).
Original post by ktlaurenroe
Is EPQ counted as a proper AS? I know some unis exclude subjects like general studies/critical thinking, is EPQ treated the same as those types of subjects or not? It doesn't say so on UCAS but just checking :colondollar:

it's just because some I'm going to apply to prefer 3.5, and I've only got 3. So if I did EPQ alongside my A2s, I'd be counted as having 3.5 (I think).

You know, I think it's dependent on the University. Derby said in their conditions of my offer that the EPQ will NOT be counted towards my points. However, Portsmouth said they will count the points up to 60 I believe. If you are unsure, email or phone the university to double check.

On another note, it seems my first EPQ grade from last year went up? I looked at my results today online and both my EPQs are set as grade "A".
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by FallenMan
You know, I think it's dependent on the University. Derby said in their conditions of my offer that the EPQ will NOT be counted towards my points. However, Portsmouth said they will count the points up to 60 I believe. If you are unsure, email or phone the university to double check.

On another note, it seems my first EPQ grade from last year went up? I looked at my results today online and both my EPQs are set as grade "A".

Yeah I figured so. Thanks, I'll try emailing :smile:

and well done for getting an A!
Just a quick question, I did the AQA Bacc but my EPQ results slip only says I got 15 points and a C(c), which my teachers say stands for "Credit". I thought there was also a letter-grade, right?

I hope I didnt get 15/50 points... that would be very surprising. Everyone else got a C(c) too, which would surprise me very much too because a lot of their work seemed very polished o.O
Reply 3104
Sort of echoing the post above, can someone help me interpret my AQA EPQ mark? It said I got 25 points, and an A*. How many points is it out of? My teacher said 50, but I have no idea how 25/50 would equal an A*...

Anyone understand the points system/know what it's out of?
does anyone have a checklist of what essential documents we need to include in our project? i know everyone's on different exam boards (i'm OCR) but any one will do as a rough guide. thankyou :smile:
Reply 3106
Hello,
Well I am taking EPQ as well as a bunch of people in school. And theres this dude who is actually cheating by just using his brother's Dissociation or whatever it's called as his EPQ. Can he get away with this? This is on the AQA board but his brothers was a University Dissociation based exam thing so it's still an exam sort of thing it got marked for in the Uni.

Thanks hope he gets caught
Is it too late to start an EPQ in september in year 13? Is it possible to complete it around March/April? If you Started in at the beginning of the year? Thanks
Original post by king101
Hello,
Well I am taking EPQ as well as a bunch of people in school. And theres this dude who is actually cheating by just using his brother's Dissociation or whatever it's called as his EPQ. Can he get away with this? This is on the AQA board but his brothers was a University Dissociation based exam thing so it's still an exam sort of thing it got marked for in the Uni.

Thanks hope he gets caught

I suppose if the university has logged it and then AQA do a bit of digging and they find it they'll most likely ban him from taking AQA exams in the worst case scenario as it is when you look at it plagiarism.
Reply 3109
Original post by HarryMWilliams
I suppose if the university has logged it and then AQA do a bit of digging and they find it they'll most likely ban him from taking AQA exams in the worst case scenario as it is when you look at it plagiarism.

What do you mean by logged? Is that like they put it all onto a system that every exam bored cam check? Because Uni assighnments, are not given to any exam boards it's just the unis themselves I think

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my XT615
Reply 3110
Can someone tell me what I got in my AQA Baccalaureate grade wise? I got an A* in my EPQ and a pass for my enrichment and the grade next to Baccalaureate says 'D'. Does that mean I got a D overall or a Distinction? Lol guess which one I'm hoping for? :wink: I got a C on my Critical Thinking though so I would understand if the grade was a D and not a Distinction. Can anyone help?
Original post by king101
What do you mean by logged? Is that like they put it all onto a system that every exam bored cam check? Because Uni assighnments, are not given to any exam boards it's just the unis themselves I think

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my XT615

Whilst universities do not send scripts off to exam boards they do (to my knowledge) send them off to plagiarism checking services which then keep a record of the script for comparison with scripts submitted at a later date.

There was a big hoo-ha over it last year when students were just submitting old scripts that they had been sold. It's a lot more tightly controlled now I believe.
Reply 3112
Original post by HarryMWilliams
Whilst universities do not send scripts off to exam boards they do (to my knowledge) send them off to plagiarism checking services which then keep a record of the script for comparison with scripts submitted at a later date.

There was a big hoo-ha over it last year when students were just submitting old scripts that they had been sold. It's a lot more tightly controlled now I believe.

Yeah but...This Plagiarism checking service they send it off to only checks essays or what not to that sort of University and all the rest on the course. I'm talking about someone use an University dissotation as there f*** EPQ (you wreckon he will get caught?)
Reply 3113
Original post by Lightingspeed
Is it too late to start an EPQ in september in year 13? Is it possible to complete it around March/April? If you Started in at the beginning of the year? Thanks

No that's perfectly fine, exactly what our college did. Make sure you work on it throughout the year though, try and get the majority of your research done by the New Year, get the first draft written up by February half term and then see if there's any other resources you could use to improve your grade. Aim to get everything done by the beginning of April at the latest and then get your presentation done by mid-April.

This is roughly what I did and I've ended up with a B in EPQ. :smile: (according to my tutor, just a few marks off of an A). Best of luck, and if you need any help then I'm happy to assist where I can. :biggrin:
Original post by Lightingspeed

of course :smile: :yes:

Thats what we're doing. Well we started it last term and we have to finish all our research this summer, but other than that we're doing the rest starting in september and we finish in march :smile:
Reply 3115
Anyone can tell me is this marked by your teachers or are all sent of to AQA? Or just a few sent to AQA?
Reply 3116
Original post by king101
Anyone can tell me is this marked by your teachers or are all sent of to AQA? Or just a few sent to AQA?

In my school my EPQ teacher marked mine and it was moderated by another teacher, the results are then sent off to AQA and I believe that AQA may request a few to moderate to make sure that results are correct and the school is not being bias etc. I believe that's the method anyway.

Got an A for my EPQ on results day, one of the big surprises considering my presentation was shocking!

Good luck everyone for next years EPQ intake! All I can recommend is having a solid question to base your title on, the conclusion is one of the most important parts of the essay in my mind.
Reply 3117
Original post by JWz
In my school my EPQ teacher marked mine and it was moderated by another teacher, the results are then sent off to AQA and I believe that AQA may request a few to moderate to make sure that results are correct and the school is not being bias etc. I believe that's the method anyway.

Got an A for my EPQ on results day, one of the big surprises considering my presentation was shocking!

Good luck everyone for next years EPQ intake! All I can recommend is having a solid question to base your title on, the conclusion is one of the most important parts of the essay in my mind.

Does your teacher tell you your grade beforehand? Like before results day and once they marked it?
Original post by king101
Does your teacher tell you your grade beforehand? Like before results day and once they marked it?

Mine didn't, but she hinted that it was at least a B. Turns out I got an A.

Not sure if she was just being difficult or that's standard procedure for EPQ tutors.
Reply 3119
Hi guys, can you give me some examples of the titles of EPQs you've done? I think I know mine but I'm not sure if it's too open-ended/subjective. I'd rather not say it though because unlike you guys, I still have yet to do it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending