The Student Room Group

Ultimate EPQ thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi,
Would you guys say this is a good EPQ title for a scientific booklet type artefact? :

"What are the ongoing developments in generation IV reactor systems and plasma fusion technologies and to what extent can they solve the energy crisis in the next 20– 30 years?"

Is it too wide or is it good? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you :biggrin:
I would lose the first half and jump straight to "To what extent can generation IV reactor systems and plasma fusion technologies solve the energy crisis in the next 20– 30 years", That way there's less emphasis on describing, and more on analysis, you'll still describe the development of those technologies, but that will be part of the analysis
What exactly is the difference between "describe" and "analyse" in the context of an EPQ essay? I kind of get the picture but some reinforcing examples of a describing sentence vs an analysing sentence just to confirm what I think would be helpful.
Hi , everyone hope your EPQ's are going well , i was wondering if anybody knew the minimum amount of words that you have to write for the EPQ that contains an artefact or study, as im sure it is less than 4000 words.

Thankyou
I really want to do a model for my epq as im wanting to do architecture. Does anyone know how I'd go about it in terms of what id have to do essay wise
Reply 6345
Original post by aadil10
Yet to make a start with my EPQ. I plan on doing mine about the efficiency of combustion engines. Doing a 5000 word essay is quite daunting for someone who doesn't normally write essays in school, so I've sorta been putting it off. I don't think research will be a problem, though I'm not quite sure how to structure my essay. I also didn't find the instructions on logging progress very clear, I'm not too sure how to set that out. It's the first year our school has taken part in the EPQ programme so the teacher in charge of it isn't too clear himself of what we need to do exactly.
Anyone got any tips for starting out? Once I get into the flow of things I should be fine.

Well the first thing I did was start a contents list. I feel as though once you do that its much clearer to see where you're going. Also, even if you delete them at the end, I've written mine with subtitles. Obviously you still want your essay to flow but by splitting up a bit it seems far more managable- Yes, 5000 words is a lot but 1000 is possible to write in an hour if you really focus. I would just start writing even if its not perfect as this way you will feel less anxious looking at a blank piece of paper and can always edit the hell out of it once the material is down.
Original post by alevelstress22
Hi , everyone hope your EPQ's are going well , i was wondering if anybody knew the minimum amount of words that you have to write for the EPQ that contains an artefact or study, as im sure it is less than 4000 words.

Thankyou

you must write a 1000 word report to accompany any study or artifact
So i got my EPQ results....A*!! All the effort and sleepless nights paid off :biggrin: Quick question, how can we convert the UMS to marks, or like UCAS its worth? I only see the grade no UMS or anything??
Original post by mahesh114
So i got my EPQ results....A*!! All the effort and sleepless nights paid off :biggrin: Quick question, how can we convert the UMS to marks, or like UCAS its worth? I only see the grade no UMS or anything??

Got A* as well, I didn't get UMS either. So ****ing happy with that, I spent my ENTIRE second half of the summer holiday apart from going to a theme park for 2 days on the research for it which stressed me the hell out. For UCAS points its just half an A level so an A* would be 70 points.
(edited 7 years ago)
I am really confused, my EPQ teacher told me i had got 50/54 - an A* for my artefact but when i opened my results today, it said i got 20 and that is an A grade. What does this mean?
I cannot believe I got an A*...
Original post by Vikingninja
Got A* as well, I didn't get UMS either. So ****ing happy with that, I spent my ENTIRE second half of the summer holiday apart from going to a theme park for 2 days on the research for it which stressed me the hell out. For UCAS points its just half an A level so an A* would be 70 points.

Congrats!! CONGRATS TO ALL THAT GOT WICKED MARKS! It was stressful, my college is using my work as examplar work, which is cool, but apparently the person who marked my movie is keeping it because of how much they liked it :/ Kinda hoped Id get it back rather than burn a second copy but hey xD 70 ucas thanks!
Got a U in my EPQ! Odd, as expected a C. I've read that individual EPQs can't be re-marked - the school would have to have all their EPQs remoderated.

Does anyone know if it's possible to re-submit an EPQ that's already been marked? Can you work on it some more and re-submit it?
Original post by C0balt
I cannot believe I got an A*...

I got one as well! Was actually expecting much less :lol:
How exactly would you structure the 5000 word essay, and what's the lit review?
How exactly would you structure the 5000 word essay,do you need sub headings for different sections are is it just written continuously like an essay?
Also, what's the lit review?
Can someone please help me figure out a title based around artificial intelligence that will be around 5000 words?
Can someone please help me figure out a title based around artificial intelligence that will be around 5000 words?
Original post by Matcha123
How exactly would you structure the 5000 word essay,do you need sub headings for different sections are is it just written continuously like an essay?
Also, what's the lit review?

I had subheadings within different sections in mine :smile: Only cause it seemed appropriate (mine was about the development in different areas of forensic chemistry), so I guess do what seems right

And no idea :tongue:
Original post by Kamara7
I got one as well! Was actually expecting much less :lol:

Nice! Are you off to imp?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending